1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW9308 Setup

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Andy_Borr, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Andy_Borr

Andy_Borr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Philips 32PW9308 Widescreen TV to replace my knackered old Goodmans set.

Although the picture quality is superb there is a black border all around the screen about 15mm from the edges.

Is this normal for a widescreen TV or should the image fit the full screen?

It is the same whether I watch the Sky Digital RGB output through EXT1 or pictures from the sets tuner. It also makes no difference selecting the different screen modes (16:9, 4:3, AutoZoom etc)

After a bit of googling through past Usenet postings I know how to get into the setup menus but it all looks a little too complicated to start adjusting settings that I don't know what they do.

Thanks for any help

2. kamserg

kamserg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 Andy_Borr

I have a Philips 28PW9308.
    You must do enter to service menu ( 062596i+ ) and edit Geom-Normal parameters: V.Amplitude (<) H.Amplitude (<) and later
    H.shift and V.shift

3. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you're seeing could be the edge of the screen.

Have a close look, and if the phosphor dots finish at exactly the same place as the black line starts then that's it.

FWIW most widescreen CRTs have a black border (ususally about 10-15mm) of unusable glass around the edge of the picture. My Panasonic 36PD30 has, as did my previous Philips 32pw9527.

If your picture finishes inside the displayable area, leaving a bit of unused phosphor then the TV has been set up to underscan. However, most TVs leave the factory with a generous overscan - maybe up to 2 or 3 inches on a 36" set - so I doubt if this is the case. If it is, though, you can fix it in the service menu by increasing H-Size and/or V-Size.

4. Andy_Borr

Andy_Borr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions both of you.

I will take a closer look at the screen and see if it is a true "dead" area or whether it looks like the picture can make use of it.

If it does look usable I will try the v and h. amplitude settings.

Thanks again