1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW9308 Setup

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Andy_Borr, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Andy_Borr

Andy_Borr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Philips 32PW9308 Widescreen TV to replace my knackered old Goodmans set.

Although the picture quality is superb there is a black border all around the screen about 15mm from the edges.

Is this normal for a widescreen TV or should the image fit the full screen?

It is the same whether I watch the Sky Digital RGB output through EXT1 or pictures from the sets tuner. It also makes no difference selecting the different screen modes (16:9, 4:3, AutoZoom etc)

After a bit of googling through past Usenet postings I know how to get into the setup menus but it all looks a little too complicated to start adjusting settings that I don't know what they do.

Thanks for any help

2. kamserg

kamserg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 Andy_Borr

I have a Philips 28PW9308.
    You must do enter to service menu ( 062596i+ ) and edit Geom-Normal parameters: V.Amplitude (<) H.Amplitude (<) and later
    H.shift and V.shift

3. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you're seeing could be the edge of the screen.

Have a close look, and if the phosphor dots finish at exactly the same place as the black line starts then that's it.

FWIW most widescreen CRTs have a black border (ususally about 10-15mm) of unusable glass around the edge of the picture. My Panasonic 36PD30 has, as did my previous Philips 32pw9527.

If your picture finishes inside the displayable area, leaving a bit of unused phosphor then the TV has been set up to underscan. However, most TVs leave the factory with a generous overscan - maybe up to 2 or 3 inches on a 36" set - so I doubt if this is the case. If it is, though, you can fix it in the service menu by increasing H-Size and/or V-Size.

4. Andy_Borr

Andy_Borr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions both of you.

I will take a closer look at the screen and see if it is a true "dead" area or whether it looks like the picture can make use of it.

If it does look usable I will try the v and h. amplitude settings.

Thanks again