1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32pw9308 Problems plz help.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Kula, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Kula

Kula
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    About a week ago I purchased a Philips 32pw9308 from Comet. I had checked various reviews on the set and I decided it matched my needs for the price I was willing to pay.
    http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbench/index.html.It received a very good write up PHILIPS 32PW9308 32in widescreen Nicam TV Review September 2003.
    So I got the set home set it up and was immediately dissapointed with the picture - very "grainy" and "shimmery". After messing about with the various digital options and user menu settings I was unable to get the picture I felt warranted a £1000 tv. No matter what I tried there were always lines on the screen several vertical and one main horizontal line and also the picture looked dirty.. I then tried a DVD through RGB scart and wow what a great picture - or so I thought for a while! The scene in the DVD was a panoramic scene that shifted from left to right with loads of sky and thats when I noticed several "lines" on the screen - like "water marks" also the picture looked "dirty" - the "dirt" stayed in the same areas while the panoramic scene behind moved. The actual surface of the TV screen was spotlessly clean -the dirt appeared to be on the inside!
    I have tried every different connection I can RH/RGB Scart and Svideo - all result in the same "lines" and "dirty picture" ( although slightly less when viewing a DVD). At this stage I thought OMG I bought a duffer!!! So I decided to take out all peripheral connections and see if the lines were there. I switched over to EXT1 without a peripheral and could just about make out the lines on the blue screen so I turned brtightness and contrast right up and there they were :( . Also the blue screen's blue was not uniform it was brighter in some areas and darker in others??
    I phoned Comet who are sending out an Engineer/Technician on Tuesday, Hopefully he will be able to sort this :(
    I was only after trying everything I could to sort the picture did I do a search on these forums and was dissapointed to read about the various problems with Pixel+ and "black Bars" etc.
    I am not sure whether the display problems I have are the same as others but to show you all what is wrong with my screen I turned the tv over to my cable channel but with the cable box on standby (so only a black screen) and turned up both contrast and brightness to show u the problem - my screen looks like a bit of tartan with all these lines!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Any suggestions on what could be wrong??

ps sorry about the long post.

2. DoogyDawg

DoogyDawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    you havent got a duff TV,
    you have a good old philips TV,
    sorry to say this is the main problem, have a look for the pixel plus and other problems thread, its still on the board someplace,
    do a search for my name and take a look at some of the posts.
    if you have the chance to get a refund, go for it, otherwise there is a fix of sorts that can be done, again its in the P+ thread, near the last couple of pages,
    you could aks for another TV, and the lines may not be as bad, but you will deffo still have the vertical bars on the left and right of the screen, but with the fix you can hardly notice them, its the luck of the draw as far as how bad the rest is, again the dirty patches are on most of the TV,s to a degree.

3. Kula

Kula
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thx for replying m8 - I got the response I had feared :(

Yeah I searched the other threads a couple of nights ago I just thought cause I had lines in the middle of my screen both horizontally and vertically it might have been something different - a problem that could have been fixed :(

Is there nothing in the service menu that I can try and ammend to reduce the lines???

Obviously I had to turn up both contrast and brightness to highlight the problem - If i turn them both right back down the lines dissapear on a black screen but as soon as I view the tv or a vidoe or dvd the problem is there :(

Hopefully Comet wont have a problem with a refund/replacement as I contacted them only 4 days after buying the set.

I guess I'll have to wait and see what the engineer says.

4. DoogyDawg

DoogyDawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    for the amount of bars showing from the pics. I would deffo go for a replacment or refund, I went thoriugh uurrr...5/6 TV,s can not remember now LOL Ive had so much trouble.
    but from the pics I have seen on here etc, I think this might be the worse one so far for bars/lines etc.
    as far as setting up the tv, RCT got the setup the best, turn every thing off LOL
    settings by RCT
    Contrast: 50%
    Brightness: 33%
    Colour: 50%
    Sharpness: 2 steps above zero
    Colour Enhancement: On
    Tint: Warm
    Digital Options: Pixel+
    Dynamic Contrast: Off
    DNR: Off
    Active Control: Off
    I hav left the contrast, brightness, colour as set in natural, but turned off the other stuff as above, its about the best Ive had it yet.

5. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Yup the bars and lines are just like what was on my 36PW96 whatever it was, Philips however think they are in tolerance, Endeva thinks all 100Hz sets are the same. So glad I got my money back and now have a far better TV.

6. DoogyDawg

DoogyDawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    scoob...
    you will be glad to know, Endeva have gone under,
    my set came back from them 2 weeks ago, the guys that brought my TV back told me :D

7. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    We can only hope a certain company goes the same route as well seeing that they fail to listen at what the consumer says. You would have thought they would have learnt by now that they cannot bring these sets into the public arena will such obvious faults. Are the R&D team isolated from the complaints that are received at their call centre, even so I cannot believe that they don't spot the faults. Or are the faults only on production models where corners are being cut. Someone must beable to answer. What exactly has happened to Endeva

8. DoogyDawg

DoogyDawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    dunno, the guys brought my TV back and I asked where were Endeva based, and all they said was that they had gone under, thats all I know.

9. Kula

Kula
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Doogy Dawg I saw on the other post that you got your lines and stuff sorted out :)

Nice one :)

The "fix"mentioned doesnt relate to my product number do you know if the fix works for the 32PW9308??

10. Kula

Kula
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OMG its getting worse :(

On Saturday night I was watching TV and the screen suddenly went blank only for a split second. It happened while the tv camera was in one position not switching between views. I didnt really think anything of it at the time, I presumed it was a broadcast issue.

Then tonight I was watching a DVD with my GF and the same thing happened only for her to say "Oh it's switched itself off and on again"! She "forgot" to tell me about when it happened earlier on this evening!

Comet Engineer please take this esxcuse for a £1k tv away with you tomorrow :(

11. rvd48

rvd48

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bugger.

my 32" sony widescreen tv broke down for the record 4th time.

i told Argos i will pay the difference between my sony tv for the above mentioned "Philips 32PW9308" tv. should i phone them up and say i want a all together different tv???:confused: :rolleyes:

12. Kula

Kula
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would steer well clear of Phillips if I was u m8.

I'll never buy another phillips set. Unless they admit this design fault and develop a new manufacturing/setup/software process that eliminates the "bars" entirely.

13. DaveC

DaveC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi guys, I've just been looking at buying one of these TVs because of the fantastic reviews. I stumbled across this site while trying to find out what owners though of this set.

Interestingly I get the exact same problem (vertical bars) on my 14" Philips TV but only when I use the SCART connection. At first I just assumed it was a crappy SCART lead and wasn't too fussed since it's only a £100 set anyway and it's fine when viewing standard TV from the internal tuner.

Having read some of the posts about problems people have had with pixel plus sets I thought I'd let you know because I'm damn sure it's a problem only associated with the SCART conns. Maybe Philips has a crappy PCB layout for the SCART signals, just uses cheap nasty sockets or has nasty front end conditioning of RGB signals?? The guy who had his tube replaced twice should have seen this problem disappear if it was tube related.

The bars on my set are very pronounced but they do not appear when I'm using the front composite connection with the same source (game console) and the same lead without the SCART adaptor. I've tried all manner of different leads and different sources (DVD player/digi camera etc) and I always get the same results.

I sympathize with you guys because I know just how damn annoying these bars are...I just can't ignore them. That’s actually one of the reasons why I'm in the market for a new "posh" TV.

Sorry for the long post, but if there is anyone here who owns a Philips set and has an engineer looking at this problem I reckon that’s a good place to start.

14. GerdanJ

GerdanJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too had the 9308. So excited by the reviews. Embarrassed for Phillips at the TV. I actually got the DVD picture looking excellet but the Sky input will always look bad. Sent it back and now very happy with a Sony which I reckon is about 99% as good as the 9308 on DVD picture quality but 4000% better at normal Sky input. Also get a Freeview built-in which as some of you can remember I was sceptical about but am now a convert. I can watch normal channels with amazing picture quality - even my wife refuses to watch channels on Sky if she can get them on Freeview - and that is a hefty enforsement.

15. rvd48

rvd48

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought it from argos at 1K. (i know i got ripped:suicide: :suicide: )

Kula- to check for the black bars, is it best to turn off the living room light, hence it will show up the black bars more?
    and how did u get them to show up? i.e. what did u press on your tv remote?

i carnt notice the black bars- maybe im not sensitive enough to them. but my brother says he does notice them.

my set heavily pixelates, very noticable on MTV and MTV Base.
    when a logo appears it looks all digitised like its been screwed over.

its been 3 weeks since i told argos to take this sh*ty "generically faulty" set away. but the courior who argos employs "fiege-merlin" they havent got back to me to organise the collection date.
    im so p*iss*d off:mad: :mad:
    so it seems that almost every pixel+ set is f**ked?

im stuck with this pi*s poor pixel+ set for the new year.

16. Kula

Kula
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    rvd48 - lo m8

Well I could clearly see the lines on screen in almost every type of broadcast especiallt sports when the screen pans.

They were clearly visible on the "blue" screen - ie turn over to EXT 1 but make sure there is no peripheral attached or if there is one trun it off - u may need to turn up brightness.

Or stick in a dvd, pause it on a dark screen - ie opening credits and once again turn up brightness.

And with all of the above methods turn your living room light off and this will highlight it even more.

I could make various adjustments ie turn down contrast and brightness, and the lines would dissapear on a black/blue screen but as soon as I tried to watch anything with a camera pan the problem was still there :(

If your set has the lines/bars the above actions should highlight them.

Hope the couriers get back to you soon.

17. Russell_S

Russell_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi there all,

I felt compelled to somewhat defend, not Philips perhaps, but at least the TV's themselves. I bought a Philips 32PW9308 about 6 weeks ago and although it took me some time to get used to the 100hz picture, it really is a stunning set. I have no occurences of the widely reported "black bars" or "lines" etc (and believe me I have looked for them). Switch to EXT1 with no signal and the blue screen is perfectly uniform blue at all brightness settings. No dirty patches or purity errors. On a dark scene I get the same, the black level is the best I've seen. With a good source (DVD and most SKY channels) the picture quality is superb. Some sky channels that use a more compressed feed (ie QVC, UK Living ect) the quality is quite poor and the compression artifacts are very noticable but I think that will be the same with any 100hz set.

As I said earlier, I'm not defending Philips themselves, I think the way they've treated their customers who havc got problems is appalling. I merely wanted to point out that not all the TV's are problematic and, the 32PW9308 at least, is not inherently faulty it is just that there are some faulty ones out there.

Regards

Russell

18. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just bought a philips 36" - the 9618 set - but whilst waiting for delivery got a little nervous in view of the recent comments on the firum. Now it is here it appears to be a quality piece of kit although I am struggling to get used to the '3d'ness' of the pictures which through sky and dvd have an almost surreally realistic quality- although I do notice the pixellation inherent in 100 hz sets and poorly compressed broadcasts.

However I have two problems - one is that it does not seem to output a true 5.1 sound via the internal processor no matter what dvd i put in - the info button on 'cinema link' keeps showing it as stereo, and I cant even choose a default 5.1 setting - the closest I get is prologic 2.

The second and most annoying issue is a horizontal bright blue line right at the top and running the length of the screen - it is mainly noticeable when the screen goes dark otr I switch channels but it is b~~~~y annoying. I dont know what the definition of this problem is so if anyone knows please tell me - I am going to give it till next week to see if it diminishes but it seems to be slightly worse (it was delivered on Friday 2.1.4) and I cant see how philips could put it down to a 'design quirk within acceptable tolerance'.

Anyway the moral of this post is to read the forums, but dont expect perfection (particularly from philips!!)

19. garyM

garyM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi tij303,
    I have just bought the same set as you.
    Re the 5.1 output have you entered the setup/source menu to configure your connections?
    You need to associate the digital in connection you are using with the correct scart socket for your DVD in this menu.
    It is mentioned on page 11 of the manual but is a bit vague. Took me a while to figure it out.
    Scroll down to dig in 1 or 2 then right arrow and select EXT 1 or 2 etc

I have not noticed any horizontal bright blue line however I do get a single pixel line when watching DVD's immediately below the top black bar and above the bottom black bar. This is almost the same colour as the picture but is darker than it should be??
    Wondered if anyone else has noticed this?
    Not visible on full height pictures or when I switch to 100hz only i.e. no double lines/pixel plus.

For the record if I squint really hard I can just make out some bars on a plain blue or grey screen but have never noticed any on a real picture...despite looking very hard.
    Shows how variable these sets can be.

Cheers
    Gary

20. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gary M thanks for your advice - I did try setting up the sound via the source menu. As for the source selections ext 2 has my dvd r75 on and as such only allows me to select 'cinemalink' - maybe this IS 5.1 but as you mention the manual is very unclear.

For some reason dolby digital (5.1) does not even appear on the sound settings other than hall, pro logic 2 etc. Just out of interest have you been able to actually select 5.1 ? If you can I must be doing something wrong - cant see this being a fault as such - maybe it is the way I have connected the system up, anyway thanks again

21. garyM

garyM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don't see the 5.1 option either. Just pro logic, hall etc
    The TV seems to auto select it when available.
    When I press the info button under the 7 key on the remote it comes up with DD 3/2 or 2/0 for DVD's, 2/0 being the DVD menu's.

I am not using a cinema link device so maybe that is the difference?
    Cant find the cinema link manual at the moment but it says in the normal manual that the sound info on screen will not correspond with the actual sound reproduction (p23)???

Don't suppose you have noticed the lines I mentioned above?

22. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gary, I havent noticed any lines other than the one at the top of the screen - I have now realised this only appears when pixel plus or movie plus is activated, so I suppose it is a design quirk ? You will probably get told the same with your faults - just for info I bought mine from Digital Direct for £1324 (+50 delivery).

Thanks to your suggestion and a bit more manual reading I have selected the dig inputs, but when I press my info button I dont get the 3/2,3/3 just 'stereo'. The numbers you refer to are mentioned in the manual under dolby digital and to me suggests you are getting 5.1 - somehow !!

I think I have figured out that my rgb connection (using thor cables on cinema link) will not carry anything other than an analogue signal (perhaps I should have known that) and that the manual suggests using an audio cable to achieve the dolby digital effect. The only thing that confuses me is that does this mean to get a dolby dig output every other source needs one ? For example why cant you just plug in your xbox via scart and get a dd output? xbox certainly has dd enabled but there is no dig audi out - I assume then that you need a hybrid cable to split the signals - but I thought a scart could do all that anyway. I think I need to do some more homework. Sounds to me that whatever you are doing has worked anyway so good luck with your picture - maybe it will 'settle' - just out of interest what will you do if it doesnt - can you live with it ?

23. rvd48

rvd48

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am so frustrated with my situation:

1) bought sony 32" widscreen December 2002

2) broke down 4 times with same fault (tuner problem) even though it was replaced

3) phoned them up in end of november 2003, they finally decide to say its un-economical to fix.

4) tell me i carnt have a refund (i tried to reason), but i can select a different tv from there argos catalogue.

5) i selected the philips 32" pixel+ "32PW9308" (cost £1000) due to all the fancy technolgical features. (paid £120 in cheque for the difference between my first faulty tv and this new philips set.

6) 1st week of December 2003 they take away the fualty sony set and deliver the philips "32PW9308" in one go.

7) install tv and see pixelation (grainy picture) varying from annoying to horrendous depending on what is being shown on tv. (using sky digital through scart RGB)

8) phone argos a day later. tell them about grainy (pixelation) problems (within the 16 day period) and they say they they will tell "feige-merlin" to collect my tv and i will get a refund.

9) they (feige-merlin) havent phoned me to organise a collection date for the philips set to this day 4th january 2004.

10) phoned argos, they tell me that i placed my original order way back in december 2002 so he said i will only get a exact replacement model, i.e. another "32PW9308" which i find frustratingly horrendous and he said the only reason i got a new tv was to get my money back!!

every time i look at this tv, the picture looks dirty. but varies in dirtyness. the worst pixelation was when RISE:TV was on.
    Enough is enough, i dont want another tv from argos, i just want my money back:rolleyes: :mad:

24. garyM

garyM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

I wouldn't accept that as a design quirk. If it were then wouldn't all these models have it.
    Same with my lines. Now I know someone else with the same TV does not have this problem then I have a bit more ammo when discussing with the shop.

I have now noticed that the picture is a lighter shade in the 3 or so pixel lines above and below the dark line which causes a shimmering at the top and bottom on panning shots.
    I'll give the shop a ring tomorrow and see what they say.

Re the dolby digital I am sure you need a link into 1 of the 2 seperate digital coax in sockets on the back of the TV using an RCA interconnect lead.
    This is how I have hooked up my DVD player.

I don't have an xbox but am surprised there is no digital out. One of the good things about the 9618 is having two seperate DD in sockets which can be assigned to seperate scarts.

I'll let you know how I get on with the picture problem.

RVD48,
    I guess you have experimented with the picture settings.
    I find that if I turn off the active control completely and up the noise reduction (maybe turn off the sharpness as well) then this helps quite a bit on some of the poorer sky channels.

I find the pixellation varies by an incredible amount even with different programs on the same channel???

I was surprised about the freeview comment below re picture quality. Is it that much better than SKY? I might consider getting hold of a STB if it is.

Cheers

Gary

25. rvd48

rvd48

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    garyM
    yes, i would agree with you there. while watching a program on itv through sky digi, the program didnt a high degree of pixelation but when the adverts came on you could tell obviously.

i feel that pixel+ isnt as obvious on normal RF analogue channel compared to sky digital through RGB scart, but i watch all my viewing through sky so its a case of me always looking for pixelation or a "dirty picture" and finding it to varying degree's, it's made my viewing through this tv lesa has than comftable.

i hate my tv,
    because of the pixel+

it takes absolute age to turn on using the remote, is this the same for any other philips owners????

i really want my money back from argos due to horrendous amount of frustration i've been through with them.
    but i doubt they are gonna give me a refund?:rolleyes:

26. jones721

jones721

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I started a thread a couple of weeks ago titled "Urgent questions about 36" tvs - opinions wanted". . . There is a bit of information in there about the Philips problems.

My tv is being picked up on Tuesday (36PW9607) and then I am to choose another model. I have heavy pixellation around moving objects (even in 100hz and double lines) and it drives me crazy. I end up now looking for it which spoils the enjoyment. Can't see any bars or vertical lines although someone watching it at Christmas pointed out the the picture slants down to the right. I can see it now but hadn't noticed it before. Doesn't bother me though.

Have an excellent picture most of the time, been backwards and forwards to Currys etc to compare the Toshiba, Sony and Philips but still think that the Philips picture (when good!) is far superior to the others. So crisp and sharp. Even the Sony one shimmered when the football was on - and I don't want to swap brands and get similar faults on others. But when it is bad it is bad. Can be on the same channel, one minute good, the next awful.

Interesting to see what someone wrote about some Sky broadcasts and the quality of the picture. This explains why The Royle Family on UK Gold is so bad - but would surely be like that on other brands too? A 36" just accentuates any problems.

Swaying towards the Philips 36PW9618 model - yes I am getting the chance to swap brands but am veering back towards Philips!! Am I mad? This model has the Movie Plus mode on which might cut down on the Pixellation problem? Those who have this model, how do you find the sound? Read about your problems finding the 5.1. Am not impressed by the sound of the 9607 at all but have the Sony DAVs880 home cinema so that compensates for the poor TV sound.

Yes, my TV takes ages to turn on and won't turn on via the red on/off button. Will only come on when I press a tv channel number - maybe this is normal?

Tracey

27. rvd48

rvd48

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jones721

i've got this mode and think its the same as pixel+ mode, i.e. no better

28. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jones 721 - I have the 36"9618 and have been both gobsmacked by the picture and then puzzled - the biggest fiddle for me is constantly mucking about with the settings to get the picture right - although I can usually do so with some satisfaction. I personally feel that the worst problems are with older or compressed broadcasts, but having not had a pixel + TV I dont really have a reference point. In fact my last Tv - Sony - was only 50 hz which I have had for 8 years. Were it not for the blue line problem (see above) I would probably :rolleyes: recommend it as it seems to me most 'new technology' crt tv's have some issue or another - I also think (ironically) you have to sit further back with a higher spec/hz/pixel set (depending on set size) to allow for the pixellation. I would like - love - to think that many of the problems reported are by 12 year old geeky kiddies that sit with their noses on the screen looking for the slightest imperfection. Unfortunately it is not the case and I actually believe image quality certainly APPEARS worse than it used to be. On a final note before you buy a philips think about how long you will keep it for vs how long it will last - which was never a consideration with my trusty old sony - again I cant speak for the new ones. Good luck in your decision :smashin:

29. jones721

jones721

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TV been picked up this morning. Delivery men couldn't get it through the door (box too big) so they had to unpack it, carry it out to the van and then repack it. I was very worried that they would scratch it etc, because the condition for us having a replacement is that the TV, stand and remote is as new. I guess they will re-sell it if those are the conditions.

I have also looked on the Trading Standards site and I think we will have to accept a TV from the same people and not a refund because we have had the set since June. Apparently for a refund it seems you have to report the fault promptly otherwise you can then ask for a repair or replacement. They do not define promptly. If you ask for a refund you may not get the full price back because the trader may be able to reduce it to allow for the use you have had of the goods. Link below if anyone else is in the same situation.

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/calitem.cgi?file=ADV0043-1011.txt

The reason I mention this is because they are selling the Philips 9618 for over £200 more than some of their competitors and I don't really want to pay more than I have to - having already paid £2000 for the TV and Sony Home Cinema in the first place.

tij303, I am pleased by your first comment because I alternate between "Wow what a picture" and "Look at the picture now"!! I am also constantly shifting between Pixel+ and 100hz and all the settings. Family came to stay at Christmas and I was waiting for them to comment on the problem - but the TV acted normally. As soosn as they had gone the shimmering was very pronounced! Typical. No rhyme or reason! But like you say, all the TVs seem to have some sort of problem (shouldn't for that money) and it is just which faults can you live with the easiest. I am coming to think that we may order the new PHilips (even if we have to pay more) because when the picture is good it is fabulous. I have been spoilt by the sharpness and clarity and may be dissapointed if we order the Sony. Although, I did see one of the new Sonys in Currys and that had an incredible picture. It was only a 32" though and was expensive. Yes, I sit way back (the room is about 24 foot long and I sit at least half way back), I agree, grainy close up. Your last comment, do you mean the old Sony you had was very reliable? We have only just got rid of the Toshiba 29" we bought 12 years ago and was the dearest model at the time. Fantastic set. Just outdated now. Gave it to my mum when the Philips arrived and within two weeks the picture had gone on it, black bars at the top and bottom. Typical again!

Have to wait 10 days and then get in touch with the retailer confirm return and condition of the set so guess I will be making a trip to Poole again at the weekend looking at the sets one more time!!

Tracey

PS Would like to hear from anyone who has the Sony 36" and what they think of the picture and set.

30. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jones - yes the Sony was a cracking set. In fact I had been hankering after a widescreen for a couple of years but there was simply no justification in spending nearly £1500 on a new one until a relative offered me £500 for mine as a spare. As far as the philips goes I have to say I am still impressed with its clarity - but my decision to buy it - rightly or wrongly - was also based on the fact that my wife didnt like the design of the panasonic or toshiba (too plasticky and black) and the sony KV series looked a bit dated. That coupled with a lot of postive reviews and some research which seemed to narrow things down to panasonic acuity v pixel + and the decision was made. It looks great in the living room ans has a beautiful stainless remote - although the menu system is slow and as someone mentioned it takes a while to come on. My only problem now is whether or not to fault it with digital direct - I am trying to live with the blue line issue but it is even annoying my wife who is a) the most untechnical person in the world b) usually more botered about corra than picture quality. It seems no one else has had this problem (the horizontal blue line at the top of the screen most noticeable with pixel+) but I have a feeling they will either collect it or get it assessed, say it is within normal tolerance and then charge me for the honour. Ive now had it since Friday but I dont want a different tv just not to keep seeing the damn line. Any one with any previous experience of what happens with internet tv style companies please let me know as the terms and conditions on the site are daunting. cheers.
    Jones - as an after thought did you say you bought from currys? I was in there on Sat and they are now selling the 36"9618 for - I think - either 1800 or 2000 including a dvd recorder and vhs video which is less than before xmas. In fact I was thinking that had I waited till the new year I might have got it for about 1500 from them (which was the price I paid through dig direct after delivery and a 3 year warranty - 1324+50+124) so the wait you have had may actually pay off in the end - good luck