1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW9308 - poor picture

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by GerdanJ, Oct 29, 2003.

1. GerdanJ

GerdanJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am in a huge dilemna and would love your help! All the mags raved about the new Pixel Plus and the 9308 so I thought that was the one for me. Got it home and the first thing my wife said was 'wow - that's blurry'! After sending her out of the room to think about her remark I was left to wonder - is it the Sky signal or the TV? It seems that some channels are better than others. The SKY menu is pretty bad with the letters all blurred (particularly when I highlight a row). I moved the scart to the RGB input and it looks a bit better. Is this normal or have I made a massively costly error in buying the 9308?!

2. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate

Have you set the sky box to output RGB? Keep the contrast/brightness down to around 60%.

Have a play with the digital options:)

3. GerdanJ

GerdanJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - I will have a go tonight. I played a DVD (Crimson Tide) and although the picture was crisper than the Sky I could swear I could see the pixel rows - it seemed like a very fine mesh. maybe I am going bonkers.:eek:

4. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get the set changed mate if your not happy. Iv just had two (£700) JVC DIST sets and both of them had a fine mesh effect and really bad digital processing so i got a refund!

5. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also check that your scart cable is fully wired for rgb signals and not just a composite cable with a scart block on the end.

Select Movie mode in the digital options.

6. GerdanJ

GerdanJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will try - trouble is I bought it from www.greatsaves.com - any view on whether they are helpful in these cases? this is where the internet shops are more hassle I guess

on scart - is it worth buying the fancy gold ones for £15 - £20?

7. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Better cables will only make a small difference if the ones you have now are fully wired for RGB. If the picture is really blurry and you are unable to live with it then i would have it exchanged for new one or demand a refund.

Make sure aswell that your dvd player is set to output rgb.

8. GerdanJ

GerdanJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eureka - the Sky picture now looks great (even the wife had to admit it looks good). What excellent advice - thanks.

Final problem - the TV only has one RGB scart input which the Sky is now using. The other scart socket is for the DVD but it isn't RBG capable. Will this greatly affect the DVD picture performance. Can I split the RGB scart socket using one of those multi-scart devices? Any thoughts?

9. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. GerdanJ

GerdanJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    brilliant - thanks

11. Lord Chubb

Lord Chubb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GerdanJ,

What did you do to rectify the problem.
    I've just had one delivered and switched it on expecting a fantastic picture and immediately thought, that's rubbish.
    The picture is blocky and pixelated, and everything looks like it is live, no pre-recorded......too sharp.

I have a DVD player and a skybox, which is set to RGB output, and neither give a decent picture????

I've played with the settings, but haven't had much joy at all......

My previous television (Sharp) was rubbish, but at least I got a watchable picture out of it......

12. GerdanJ

GerdanJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    actually - the problem isn't fixed. my wife was being kind to me and I had rose tinted glasses on. I was desparate to think it was good but alas I can't pretend. lots of pixels everywhere and to be honest it is difficult to watch as you get blotches of pixels on the screen.

We are talking to the supplier at the moment to ask them to fix it or replace it. any other suggestion - we paid £800 for it and would ask to replace it with another make?

13. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you made sure that the TV is configured for the right type of input. On the 32PW9528 its under "Set-up/Source". You need to say what's connected to what input. It may help.

Bazza

14. GerdanJ

GerdanJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will try that.

Get this - the internet shop (who are being helpful) have suggested that the scart lead is the problem. They said that for 100mhz TVs you should spend '10% of the overall cost' on cables. Therefore we should spend about £80 on a pucker scart lead and that will 'probably' solve the problem. This can't be correct can it?

15. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try turning off noise reduction (DNR). This, IMO, interferes with p+ processing and causes a very unnatural effect - esp. on faces etc.

16. Lord Chubb

Lord Chubb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    blindlemon, bazzae123 can I assume that you both own this set?

I'm curious about this as I'd have expected to get the set, plug it in and happy days.

Have you seen the effect that GerdanJ and I are describing, (i think it is the same), on your set? I just wonder if there is a fault, and it's not down to settings / SCART cable.

If it is the cable, can your recommend a good cable to get?
    My SCART cables are bog standard ones, is it likely that they aren't wired for RGB, and should I look for one which is stated as such. Or is it the case that SCART cables are generally RBG wired?

Apologies for all the questions, but I'm very annoyed!

Many Thanks

17. Lord Chubb

Lord Chubb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, I should add that when I switch between the inputs - the picture changes and very briefly, I see the picture as I'd hoped it would be, then is goes pixcelly and blocky.
    It's like the picture changes and then the software / processing / whatever kicks in and changes it????

Thanks

18. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of interest, what sets, both of you, did you have before?

19. GerdanJ

GerdanJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Grundig 32 inch 100hz. Cheap but it didn't have any pixel problems.

Great Saves - the internet shop - are sending me a new scart to try. If that doen't work then they are going to replace it.

Any suggestions for £800 if I can change it?

20. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a 9527 but it broke after 11 months and I got a refund. I now have a PD30.

If your scart is fully wired you should see the letters RGB after the name of the AV input when it's first selected - otherwise it will say CVBS.

21. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi blindlemon,

I know you have a PD30, I meant the other guy.:D

By the way do you know how to turn off the Autoformat on the Philips. I want it just to go from 4:3 to 16:9 when the correct signal is detected.

Bazza

22. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bazza,

I know you know - I was replying to Lord Chubb :p :laugh:

As for turning off autoformat - no I don't know. I used to leave it on auto except when a particular program (eg. on the biography channel, where they go from 4:3 to 4:3 letterbox clips of movies) was annoying me.

FWIW, my impression is that the PD30 is slightly, but not much, better in this respect :smashin:

23. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi M8,

Two things I liked about the PD30 was the auto switching, apart from when it jumped about a bit and also the Analogue tuner was a lot better than the Philips. By the way, have you got your new PD30 yet? Having read most of your threads I think you still have a soft spot for the P+

24. stejcoolj

stejcoolj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may sound strange, but I'm glad you're both having problems with your 9308. I thought it was just me! I bought mine from John Lewis, Nottm in July. As soon as I switched it on, I found the colours unrealistic (especially news / live studio broadcasts) and the picture was very pixelated and blocky. I have ntl cable, by the way. I played with all the settings (Pixel Plus, Movie Plus, 100hz etc etc) but still didn't get any real improvement. It was Wimbledon week at the time and the tennis was appalling! - The ball just "dotted" up and down the screen and left a blur behind! This was my first widescreen TV and I was horrified!
    So then I tried my DVD player to see if that was better - and it was! - Lord of the Rings looked fantastic, almost 3D. It wasn't perfect - there was some jagged movement at the edge of the screen on some panning shots (eg Arwen being chased on horseback by the black riders) but if I was just going to use my 9308 for DVDs I would have considered keeping it.
    As it was, the ntl broadcasts looked poor and I returned the TV. Since then, I've seen a fair few reviews for the 9308 and they almost all say it's great! It was something of a relief to see that you guys had the same problem. I've seen only one magazine review that criticized the blocky picture and gave the TV 3/5.
    Question now is, what's the best 32" to get? I want a good picture but without any digital artifacts, smearing, pixelation etc. Is the Sony fx68 the one to go for?

25. lewden

lewden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you considered the Loewe Aventos? Its worth a view IMO.

26. stejcoolj

stejcoolj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lewden,

I hadn't even considered Loewe. Seen a review on What Video TV, gets 5 stars, and looked at the Loewe site. Seems there's some new models just come out, too.
    Thanks for the advice, I'd been blinded between Philips and Sony. I'll see if there's any Loewes in John Lewis, Nottm next week. My only other worry is that the sets are pretty deep - I might have to take the front door off to get one in the house!

27. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,I have one of the original P+ sets(a 32pw9527) and can give you some advice based on experience.Firstly,pixel plus processing IMHO is absolutely useless and from what I've heard there's been no improvement with the new generation of sets.I always use the 100hz option,that's your best bet.Secondly,turn off ALL the processing options,active picture,DNR etc,etc.Then set the sharpness control between 0 and 2 but definitely no higher.Lastly,make sure the contrast isn't still set "out of the box",that's way too high and will highlight processing artefacts.See how that lot grabs you!

28. Ian Edwards

Ian Edwards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've had a 28" 9308 for about 6 weeks now

I’ve had a mixed reaction to it, DVD’s are awesome !

Sky, can be blocky

I totally agree with the poster above, put your sky in the rgb scart socket, tell the tv it’s a SAT box, and turn down all the digital gizmos to min or off and the sharpness to below 3, set the TV to 100hz - overall iam pretty happy with the TV set like this, it’s not perfect but it never will be with a source like sky

One thing that is really p*ssing me off is, it’s won’t auto change from a 4:3 picture to a widescreen picture and back again, when watching sky, my old Philips TV used to do it.

Iam missing something in the menus or won’t the 9308 do it ?

Will it work for you ? can somebody else test ?

TIA

Ian

29. GUSi

GUSi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So whats the reason to buy an expensive P+ model if then you switch it off? I also was thinking about getting a 9528, but I saw The Two Towers with P+ activated and it's like a joke, shimmering, halos... and the image is pixelated and blocky... so now I'm thinking about Philips but without digital "effects", like 8607 or 8807. The difference between the two is Natural Motion (they don't have P+). Maybe Narutal Motion is worth the money?
    I can't understand who philips can sell a non-working technology like pixel plus, and people give it good reviews... are they blind?

30. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I viewed P+ in the shop it was showing "in studio" stuff,like the news.That looked great,but get it home and start watching stuff with movement and it's awful.As I still managed to get a picture I could live with I kept it,but I certainly don't recommend P+ itself.DNM is also really poor,it artificially speeds things up,kind of like some of those early morning American shows."Natural Motion"?It's anything but!