Philips 32PW9308 - Horizontal White Lines: Is the tube gone?

J

Jumpman

Dear Forum Members,

RE: Philips 32PW9308 CRT Television

I am writing for some advice :lease: regarding a fault that has occurred with our television.

White horizontal lines are permanently present across the screen regardless of whether we are watching sky, terrestrial or a DVD feed.

Please see following image: http://limbachia1.googlepages.com/Philips32PW9308-WhiteLines.jpg

In addition the colour saturation, brightness and contrast also seem to be affected. They have to be turned to maximum to achieve near normal levels.

The television also displays the following error message on accessing the service menu:
Errors: 028 000 000 000 000
Defective module: Video Controller

Please see following image: http://limbachia1.googlepages.com/Philips32PW9308-ErrorMessage.jpg

When taken to a service centre, we were told that the whole tube would need replacing and that the TV is a write-off. I therefore wanted to confirm with you guys that this is correct, and to ask your opinion as to what the exact fault is, and if you think the TV could still be economically repaired.

Many thanks in advance, Jumpman.

When taken to a service centre, we were told that the whole tube would need replacing and that the TV is a write-off. I therefore wanted to confirm with you guys that this is correct

The picture does show the symptoms of a faulty crt.
If it is the crt (I get the impression you don't believe the service centre) it most certainly is a write-off, I doubt 32" Philips crts are still available...if they are the repair would probably cost more than a new TV.

Cheers JayCee,

Yeh, I guess I always knew it was the tube and that the service centre guys were tellin' the truth!

But I guess I was finding it hard to come to terms with the fact that my Philips CRT was well and truely beyound repair!

It had an absolutely fantastic picture! And even though I've just replaced it with one of the better 32" LCD's out there, the Panasonic TX-32LXD700; the Panny can't hold a candle to the Philips in terms of SD picture quality!

Guess I will have to come to terms with my loss!

Many thanks, Jumpman.

I think the assumption that the crt is faulty is a little premature. Most of these chassis' had LG tubes which suffered with internal shorts. The fault being exhibited as a very very very bright red green or blue screen with flyback lines being displayed for a few seconds (sometimes at switch on - sometimes after a period of time) The sets over current protect then kicks in shutting the set down.

A picture of the actual fault, rather than the error log would have been more helpful as these sets suffer with quite a few problems associated with the pixel plus digital processing stages. These can be pigs to repair, and as such the service center 'may' have given you the brush off as they did not want the job.

Having said that...

It is quite possible that the set may only need the screen control set up correctly, as error 28 is the black current loop, we have had oodles of these where after a period of time they go out of tolerance. We have also had a number where the line out transformer has a dirty screen control, and required replacement.

Cheers paul-av-tech & JayCee,

The top link shows the problem I am getting with the permenant horizontal white lines across the picture. I took the picture with TV on the unused EXT2 so the lines could be seen more clearly.
http://limbachia1.googlepages.com/Philips32PW9308-WhiteLines.jpg

No matter what I am watching, be it sky, terrestrial or a DVD, those white lines are always there.

The pixel plus engine is working fine and I can switch from 100Hz, to pixel plus, to movie plus as normal.

Apart from the lines, the only other problem is that the picture is faint. I have to turn up the colour, contrast and brightness really high to get the picture to look like how it used to on much much lower levels.

Hope that makes things clearer.

Many thanks again.

Hi,
I know it's been years since anyone has posted to this thread, so I am not holding out much hope for a reply.....but here goes:)
My Philips 36PW9308 36" TV is experiencing the same faults that Jumpman identified on his set. The set is a bout 7 years old. I am reluctant to replace it, especially since I haven't seen a better picture on any plasma, LCD or LED TV. Generally I like to fix things myself because I don't trust 'anyone', but in this instance the H.T. does make me nervous about attempting the repairs myself.

Here is a list of the faults I have identified on my TV:
1. Multiple thin white/blue horizontal lines across the screen which are only really visible when the screen is dark (exactly the same as shown in Jumpman's initial post).
2. The television also displays the following error message on accessing the service menu:
Errors: 028 000 000 000 000
Defective module: Video Controller
3. The screen developed a strong green hue.
4. The TV takes quite a long time to switch on (around 1 minute).

The first thing I noticed was the green hue and my recollection was that this problem occurred over a pretty short period of time, probably days or a short number of weeks. I only noticed the horizontal lines after I started adjusting the RGB gain in the service menu but they were probably present beforehand. If I reset the RGB gains to their original settings the lines are still present. I've had to turn the green right down and the red and blue guns up (the blue gun right up). The resulting screen colour still isn't right. Skin tones aren't bad, but blues tend to be greeny blue. Also I think the fault is continuing to get worse.

My guess is that adjusting the guns might have resulted in the long switch on time?

I am hoping the tube or guns haven't 'gone' but the faults are more likely a result of failing capacitors. I opened it up (cautiously). I didn't notice any swollen or leaky caps at all. The only thing I noticed that the RGB amplifier TDA6108JF and a cap next to it (located on the tube PCB) look like they have 'darkened' the PCB a little.

I have bought a replacement TDA6108JF. However I've never discharged a picture tube before and I am pretty nervous about doing so. I doubt it would be safe to change the chip without discharging the tube. Any comments?? Also, if I discharge the PSU caps do I need to discharge the tube to work on the PSU or to allow the tuner module to be removed for inspection?

Something to note, which I doubt is relevant but I'll mention it anyway, I got a new Sky box a month or 2 before and switched the output of the box from PAL to RGB for the first time in the history of the TV. Could this have stressed something?

So I am hoping someone with the relevant knowledge will chime in to give me their opinion as to whether this is terminal or not, and maybe advise whether this could be a DIY fix and/or somebody could recommend a good old style TV repairman around the Scottish central belt (preferably close to Livingston) just in case I have no other option;-)

TIA
El Wabbo

Like you say an old thread. Dont come on here much now, too busy.
However Error 028 is beam current incorrect. When the set 1st comes on it measures the current drawn by the CRT and if it does not settle to known values within a specified period of time, the set will shut down. This is almost certainly down to an incorrectly set screen control on the Flyback Transformer - or the CRT is so knackered it is not working within design spec. Reset the rgb drives to where they were originally then adjust the screen control on the FBT slowly at switch on and see if you can get it to a point where it stays on. Once there with no input on AV with a black screen just turn it enough to remove any flyback lines. If not possible then you have other issues. Knowing these sets of old, if the CRT was manufacturerd by LG its almost certainly knackered. Normally a strong r/g/b bias can be down to a number of things. By all means try the video driver chip - but I think it unlikely. The crt base has three identical drive circuits. Check the values of all the high wattage resistors. These produce dc bias to the three screens and can go high in value on one input, causing a r/g/ or b hue and flyback lines on screen . Would not worry too much about the energy stored in the crt providing the set is off and you do not remove the eht cap or the CRT base. If you do a high voltage discharge probe is needed (although a lot of engineers short it to deck using a couple of screwdrivers. I cannot stress enough that this is really not a DIY job though. Failing all that - see if you can find a 'proper' service dept. that still has a crt analyser and tester and let them have a look. We still have one under the bench which gets used less and less now. They are able to produce a high current pulse to the crt to blow the muck off the internal elements or remove shorts - sometimes a kill or cure option. Again, the label on the back stating no user serviceable parts and shock hazard is not there to look pretty.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom