1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

philips 32pw9161c story

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by atifds9, Oct 13, 2001.

1. atifds9

atifds9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well where do i start. First off all i'm writing this just to give people an idea of the trouble i've had with this tv and namely philips and sound and vision.

I brought this tv after seeing it was number 1 in the homecinema choice chart was tv of the year and also european tv of the year. Brought the TV from Sound and Vision in Bolton and great price and next day delivery. Got the TV and set it up my first Homecinema purchase being a youngster and studant i had saved up hard for this beast. Finally got it set up and i was gutted when i saw the geometry on the set was absoulutley messed up but not to worried because I new it could be sorted so got in touch with Sound and Vision who then called out the Service center who handle philips to come and have a look at my tv (THORN i belive). Engineer came round and saw what a mess the geometry was and said the set would have to be taken in for setting up because they had to use a special remote to access the service menu and couldn't bring it out with them so it was taken away and returned a week later. I set it up again and the geometry although on very SLIGHTLY better was still messed up all through the screen.

So

I called them again and said it wasn't acceptable and they said they would take it in again and set it up properly and ask a phillips super engineer to come in so they came and picked it up again for the second time. A week later they returned it and i set it up and by this time had armed ,yself with ultimate dvd platinum and put on the geometry test and it was basically exactly the same as the first time they returned it, it had just been for a ride. I got in touch with sound and vision and asked for a replacement and they said they would have to speak to the service center and their philips rep and if they agreed they would replace it so i had to pester them over the course of a week and they finally said after speaking to the service center that they would not replace it because as far as the service center was concerned it was within manufacturers parameters but i don't consider it acceptable when the flaw is so bad the tennis courts were bending of the bottom of the screen and big trevs glasses were bent on news at ten.

SO

I got back in touch with the service center and told them that i was not happy with the repair and to come and look at the set again so the enginner came around again and after looking at the picture while a program was on said it looked ok, so i put on my ultimate dvd geomtry test and told him to go fudge himself so he took the TV for the THIRD time and a couple of days later i got a call from the service center saying that they had ordered a new part for it and it would be slightly delayed because they were waiting for the part to come in but i didn't mind i was so happy they were finally doing something apart from taking my tv on a ride every couple of weeks. So they returned the set and i set it up and put it on they had put in a new screen or so they told me and it was fantastic the geomtry was perfect all across the screen it made such a difference is was awsome finally my tv was working up to the standard i would expect.

but...

I settled down to watch the footie, with out the pitch bending of the screen and imagine my horror as a saw a faint but very noticable large oval screen burn i guess would be the best way to describe it, but it was a dark oval burned in to the screen right in the middle it's only noticable on light background but is there none the less. And also the left and center speakers for some reason now crackle and also even at low volumes sometime the cabinet rattles or vibrates where as before the screen was replaced the sound was amazing with it going really loud and staying really clear. rated at 100rms.

Ohh man was i p***ed. So i call back the service center saying i want the set replaced and they say they can't authorize a replacement as they only do the repairs i would have to get in touch with philips who then in turn say i have to go to sound and vission ans they are the dealer and they will then get in touch with there rep who will speak to the service center and decide.

So i'm waiting for sound and vision to get back to me after they speak to the service center and there philips rep and god help them if they don't say i can have a new set, I feel i've been more then patient and tolerant.

The reason for me writing my story is just to see what you experts out there think and what i should do if sound and vision turn around and say that I can't have a new set and what i should do (Watchdog springs to mind)

Any comments, thoughts, suggestions or sympathy :( gratefully recieved

2. Shady Deal

Shady Deal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My sympathy indeed!! I have been there years ago.

What I did was:-

a) Get an independent engineer to look at the set and condem it.

b) Solicitor letter to company with a copy of report.

c) Trading Standards informed.

d) After company gets letter, usually replacement/ money back follows.

Does cost a bit, but worked for me.

Hope it works out
    Regards

3. itbegins

itbegins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel for you,as i had that very set, a 32pw9616 it had poor pic geometry, a Thorn engineer called,didnt have a clue,the set was removed to be repaired.2 weeks later it comes back even worse,but now with extra issues with pic.Thorn wanted to remove for repair but i informed them that unless they could repair on site i would not accept the set, after countless phone calls to Philips (they really need to teach their staff about customer service)and Thorn (who by the way repair rental sets as well,and treat peoples property as if it was a cheap shop rental,but thats another story!)and The seller,Philips agreed to uplift the set and credit the seller,who in return exchanged with a far superior Sony kv32ls35(still cant get over how much better the pic is)its a cheaper set but with money saved i bought a nice amp and speakers,Philips advertise this set on the its picture,i think their quote goes something like this "you can not get much better than this" simply refuse the set,inform Philips of poor service from Thorn,you have been more than reasonable in allowing the set to be repaired 3 times.Simply refuse the set,you have rights. Just keep on ringing it worked for me,if i can help you any further,just mail me.Regards

4. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had problems in the past with a firm (name witheld - like you I was young at the time) and I have to admit that if you keep getting fobbed off its best to speak to your local trading standards.

Speak to Sound & Vision and say your not happy and that you want the name / address of the manager of the shop and also their HQ. Tell them that you will be sending a letter of complaint and that you have informed trading standards.

I did this with a very large corporate company about 2 years ago and they suddenly took note and sorted me out before you could say 'boo'. It might be best to quit while your ahead and demand your money back and buy from a company which prides itself on customer satisfaction. No point getting into arguments or getting their backs up, just remain focused on your complaint so that they realise just because your young you wont be fobbed off.

I presume you've spoken to the manager of sound & vision?.

James

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James,
    Out of interest after reporting the company to Trading Standards did Trading Standards every tell you what they did about your complaint?

6. atifds9

atifds9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou all for you help and suggestions
    I've just got off the phone with customer services Sound & Vision and they really seem to be trying to help me but are having trouble getting a response from Philips. Their trying to get in touch with them again this morning. I'm just happy they seem to be taking my complaint alot more seriously now that i have changed from speaking to them politely and actually letting them know how angry i am but if i don't get a response from them today then i'll speak to there customer services manager.

Thank you again for all your thoughts and suggestions, i'll keep you posted about whats happening.

[ 15-10-2001: Message edited by: atifds9 ]

7. atifds9

atifds9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I thought I’d stop in and update you all as to what’s been happening. I've been in touch with sound + vision about 10 times since we last spoke and no joy they still keep fobbing me off with were waiting for Philips, I sent a letter of complaint to their customer service manager and a copy of he same letter to Philips. I have had no response from sound + vision and when I called today and asked to speak to the manager I was told he was off ill and they didn't know how long he's be of sick for (very convenient) I had a response from Philips saying they make good TV’s and there complex pieces of equipment which very rarely go wrong but when they do it's up to the retailer to sort it out and decide whether to repair or replace and they can't influence there decision. I've sent a copy of this letter to sound + vision and told then if it's not sorted I’ll take them to the small claims court, I also responded to the Philips letter and told them I’m not happy with their response and that I would be passing all correspondence between me and them on to watchdog and I’m also seeking legal advice (I haven't yet but the watchdog site is good).

So what else can I do any suggestions gratefully received as I don't want it taken to court but I do want a new set to replace my ten month old set and not a repair as this would be the 4th time they would be trying to repair it and last time they did more harm them good, surly I’m entitled to a new set if they have had three goes at repairing it for full history read my first post. Any help gratefully received.

8. atifds9

atifds9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i thoght i'd pop back in with what will be hopefully my last post on this thread as i received a letter today from sound + vision who said that after receiving my letter they would like to offer to replace my set with a new one as a geasture of good will
    yeah right(i'm sure it was the fact that i told them that i had sent a copy of the complaints letter to watchdog that really motivated them), i'll take the new set gladly but it's just a shame i've been messed about by philips and sound + vision for ten months and i can assure u i'll never buy philips again even if it is the european tv of the year and homecinema choice tv of the year. I'm still not finished with philips though and will still be complaining to them about the lack of help they gave me and the fact that they just hung me out to dry.

i'll stick to another make.

I just wanted to thank everyone for there help and suggestions it really did help

Atif

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if Sound & Vision and another company in Bolton Digital Direct are one and the same company? Or if one is the parent company for the other or vica versa?