1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW8806 picture slopes

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Pinnen, Jun 5, 2001.

1. Pinnen

Pinnen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I bought a Philips 32PW8806 and when I watch DVD movies were you get the black bars on the top and bottom, the picture slopes down in the middle. It slopes down at the top and up at the bottom. I hope you understand what I mean.

I asked the dealer if they could fix the picture, but he said that I have to live with it. Nothing they could do.

I think this is a bunch of crap, and when you pay this much for a TV you ought to get something that works correct.

Is there anything I could do?

Thanks.

2. dorgan

dorgan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with a Sony which I had put up with for a while. After a bit of a fight they gave a full refund. There first reply to me was: "It's a TV not a computer monitor, what do you expect!". Don't take that crap.

3. Italo Tettoni

Italo Tettoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Henrik, the solution to your problem is to make changes to the geometry settings in 'Service Mode'. To get into 'Service mode' on the Philips 8806 press 0,6,2,5,9,6 (on the numbered keypad) then press the i+ button.

The menu your interested in is under Alignments/Normal Geometry. Alignments/Superwide Geometry is for the 'SuperZoom' setting. A more thorough explanation of what's available in this menus is available at the following site; http://home.hccnet.nl/m.majoor/tv__service_mode.htm

Have fun, when properly tweaked the Philips 32PW8806 is, pound for pound, the best widescreen TV on the market.

Italo

4. CrunchyB

CrunchyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Italo, thank you so much for that link :)

I had the exact same thing (sloped sides, pincushion effect) with my new 8807 and now I can tweak it myself!

5. Marcelo86

Marcelo86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! In tried does numbers and did get in to the menu. but i dont know how to control them, could someone here help me out? and that link didnt work either