1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW8717 picture problems

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Robert, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Robert

Robert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently I have bought a philips 32 inch PW 8717 model. Thus replacing my Grundig Megatron 29 inch TV. The First Philips Set that arrived had a fault as it swiched on and off repeatedly on its own, plus it had 3 dead pixel in the middle of the screen. The supplier immediately replaced the model with a new one! The new set is ok and works fine.
    Yesterday I have bought the new extended version of lord of the ring and I have noticed that on the left hand side, at the midde of the screen, touching the frame, a pattern of lines, as if they are ripples have developed. These ripples are mostly seen when viewing this DVD, as on others example Pearl Harbour, Gladiators etc, this fault doesn't seem to show.

Do you know if the above issue is common with these set? Is it a fault ? or can it be arranged by some form of degausing ?

Thanks Robert

2. Robert

Robert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any replies? Please give me some info..

Thanks to all

3. Robert

Robert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    come on, can any one give a helping hand?

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Robert,

It doesn't sound like a problem that degaussing can solve but you never know - perhaps it could be a curious form of magnetic distortion.

You might want to also try moving any objects that might cause interference away from the set.

However, the fact that it only occurs on one DVD makes me wonder, is your Lord of the Rings a R1 DVD, whereas the others that are fine are R2? If so, might be an NTSC problem with the set.

5. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    as Squirrel God pointed out it might me a moire ntsc problem?

6. Robert

Robert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DVD that I have bought is a Region 2 Version. All the other DVD's in my collection are Region one does using NTSC. This DVD uses PAL. As regards to the rest, the picture and sound are great. Could it be a form of magnetisim? Or some sort of processing? I have switched off all digital processing to off, excluding the 100 hz. But still the same prob.

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I thought it might be PAL vs NTSC but didn't think it would be the other way round!

I think it's safe to forget magnetism. If it were this, it would happen all the time.

Regarding processing, it might be this if it only affected certain scenes. But from what you have said, it sounds like this rippling is occurring all the time, throughout the disk. If this is the case, I think we can elminate this too as it only occurs all the time on this disk, but not on any other disk.

I think you have to get another Region 2 disk and try it.

Where did you purchase LOTR from? Not from some dodgy store in the backstreets of Valletta huh? ;)

8. Robert

Robert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, the Disk has been bought from the Exoutiqe Sliema, and its an original one. Bought at around Lm 25.96, I am Sure its the original version as its an extended version with all the original packing included. I will try to check if this problem occurs with other region 2 DVD's.
    I have tried to switch off all the av Gear, just leaving the DVD Switched on. The Scart in use is a schielded model, not the one comming with the DVD.

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! That's £40! You should start buying your DVDs online!

http://www.playserver5.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=101939

Postage is free to Malta with Play.com. www.cd-wow.com also ship free to Malta :)

I'm not sure what the rules are regarding customs in Malta though and how much you are allowed to import by post before they charge you duty. In the UK, the allowance is £17.99 for imports outside of the EU. (Play ship from within the EU - I know Malta is not fully a part of it yet, but will be soon, so I don't know if this helps. CD-WOW ship from Hong Kong.)

I think you are going to have to try another Region 2 DVD to see if the problem re-occurs.

This problem might not be the TV. It might instead be caused by your DVD player. Is your DVD player a Region 2 player modified to be multiregion? Or is it a Region 1 player that's been modified?

If you can, see if you can plug another DVD player (get a friend to bring one round?) into your TV and play LOTR. See if the problem still occurs.

Let us know :)

10. Robert

Robert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My DVD player is a NAD T531 Model. It Has been modfied by a handset code, to region 0. In reality its a Region 2 Player, but here at Malta 80% of the Disks are only Region 1. And So If the players are not modified, few of the DVD's can be played. As regards to buying DVD's from online sites I think its a good idea, but As the postage is a bit slow due to Christmas postage I wanted to see this film the earliest possible. But thanks for the idea.

As regards to the dodgy films at Valletta, the Picture and sound is rubish, and after investing so much money and time on my Home Cinema setup I don't think its worthed buying these useless disks!

Current Setup;
    Philips 32 PW8717
    Nad T751 AMP
    Nad T531DVD Player
    Nad C540 CD Player
    Samsung DVD 907
    Kef Coda AV Speakers, 9.2 for the Front, Center Coda, rear 7Se rears and 2 subs.