1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW6526/32PW6515 image 'ghosting'

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mammoo, Jun 9, 2004.

1. mammoo

mammoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I'm a new member to this board and recently purchased an ex-display 32PW6526 (or a 32PW6516 with pro-logic speakers!). I've got a small issue with the picture in that the image is repeated very faintly to the right (is this ghosting?) so when you have an edge you can see another very faint edge just to the right of it.

I've tried multiple inputs/cables/contrast/sharpness settings but they all produce the same result. Is this common or should I be asking for another TV. I see quite a few people have had issues with this unit so I might be afraid to return it incase the one I get back is even worse!

Just so you all know it also has vertical geometry issues when in widescreen mode (vertical lines bend outwards in the middle) and I experienced the subwoofer 'humming' but only once. I am thinking of attempting to fix the geometry using the service menu but after seeing so many people with the same problem I am thinking it might not be fixable.

Thanks,

Mammoo

2. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    What tv source are you using?

3. mammoo

mammoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used a DVD player on both RGB and composite scarts and a PS2 into scart (I don't have sky yet). The ghosting is the same on any source/cable I use and even on teletext.

Does anyone else have similar problems to this or do I have a duff TV?

Thanks

4. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mammoo,
    I've had the 32PW6515 for a couple of years now and have no ghosting or vertical line bends. I would say its duff and return it for replacement. If your not happy with anything return it anyway cos it will bug you forever.

5. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe your TV is haunted. Put the 'Exorcist' DVD on and maybe it will cure it.
    No?
    I'll get me coat!

6. mammoo

mammoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He he...

I've spoken to the guy I bought it from and he's already arranged a replacement for me to collect tomorrow so hopefully the next one will be an improvement.

7. TVhomejs

TVhomejs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :)

Mammoo, I should really like to read about your experiences with the replacement TV. I own a 6506 which in fact has slight double contours (plus sound problems). I returned a 6517 which didn't, but it had severe problems with the sound. Last year I returned a 6526 because of bad convergence. Perhaps I shouldn't?

8. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have the 6506 which is excellent and hasn't any big issues.

What's "double contours" and what sound probs have you?

9. TVhomejs

TVhomejs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Double contours"? Precisely what Mammoo describes spot on! What the technical term for this fault is, I don't know, but this forum isn't only for TV technicians, so what's the problem?

The sound problem with 6506 (and the 6517, I've recently returned)?
    (For a long description, I refer to my post in this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133143)

I quote:
    "First and foremost because of the faulty sound. Went from bad to worse and finally absolutely unacceptable. The normal, intended sound was accompanied by a dark, noisy sound like the sound when a radio isn't tuned at the right frequency. Even in silent passages of a movie or other content this noise was often heard, and it had nothing to do with events or effects of a movie. From the beginning it was obvious with the pre-settings in "Music" and worst "Theater". Less obvious, but irritating with "Personal". Only with "Talk" ("Voice" in english - my addition) the noise disappeared, but so did most of the joy of sound! No change of the settings for bass or treble made any difference. The same for stereo and mono. Gradually the noise became worse and unbearable, also with the preset "Personal"."

I'm referring to the 6517 above, but the description fits my sound problem with the 6506, which I refer to in this quote:
    "As with the 6517 you simply can't use the sound pre-settings "Music" and "Theater" because of the same noisy "extra" sound. But until now the sound is just acceptable with the setting "Personal". Wonder if the Virtual Dolby feature (the 6506, 6515, 6516, 6517 and the new 6518 models have all got it, but the 6526 has "Dolby Pro-Logic 3D Surround with 4 onboard speakers plus subwoofer) and the construction of the speakers to achieve that (useless!) effect is the cause of the sound problems? All the same 6506 (and 6517) has fine details, acceptable grey shades and colours that please me, so I'll give Philips a chance."

I don't think you simply can conlude that this model is so and so good or bad. You can find the models mentioned above in different versions (mine is /01), and of course different series. The various models are not manufactured in the same country (for the 6517 no country is mentioned!), and the degree of accuracy or sloppiness with end adjustments may vary for every single TV set. From my experience they do!

10. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    How do you find the version number out?

11. TVhomejs

TVhomejs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By looking at the label on the back: Model: 32PW6506/01 Made in France.

From the downloaded data sheets for 65** models I see now that they all come in 3 versions: /01 /05 and /58, and that it apparently is about compatible stereo systems and transmission systems for different countries. Therefore it has nothing to do with differences in production and quality. So I can rule that out! Thanks.