1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW6517 acceptable overscan/centering?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by onzey, Oct 26, 2003.

1. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been looking into overscan threads on the forums and found one which mentioned a scene in Star Wars Episode 2 (5m.57s - 6m.01s) where there is a girl with a blue face on the left hand edge and the poster asked "how much of her face do you see, all or half"? Well on my new 6517 I see hardly any at all, she is almost completely off the screen. There is also a guy on the right with the eye patch who is mostly on screen. I think my picture is pushed to the left slightly anyway (not an RGB issue as I get same picture with DVD player set to composite) and I guess if it was properly centred I might end up with half a blue girl and half a man with eye-patch which I suppose might be the "going rate" for overscan. Incidentally, both these people are clearly visible if I watch the DVD on my pc. Would it be reasonable to claim the set is 'faulty' and try and get and engineer to come and shift picture to the right and maybe even reduce overscan? Or would it just be considered within tolerance? I am going to test with another DVD player sometime as I am aware that they are capable of cropping the picture but I have noticed that if I flick through the different aspect modes on the TV, as I change between 2 of them (can't remember which 2) the blue girl is visible for a split second, which indicates that the picture is there to be seen I suppose.

Any advice gratefully received.

2. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a 32pw9527 and when it arrived it was overscanning waaay too much. Most TVs seem to be setup to overscan as it's easier for the factory and results in less callouts/returns than setting it up exactly right (where occasionally, different sources may reveal the picture edges).

You can fix this in the service menu quite easily though:)

3. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the reply blindlemon.

I have seen a few posts where things have got cocked up using the service menu and I think I read somewhere that some TVs lock up or shutdown (or something drastic) if underscan is detected (i.e you over-adjust)! I have brought up the service menu with that number code (just to see if it worked) but chickened out of going further when I saw 'Clear' highlighted as the first thing, just in case I messed up totally straight away. Also I wasn't exactly sure how to get out of service mode. Pressing the menu button seemed to change between normal menu and service mode menu and I think pressing the i+ button just takes the menu off screen. In the end I pressed standby.
    If you have the time could you enlighten me as to exactly what values to change and also how you navigate the service menu? I assume you use the arrow keys but do they always bring up another selection? For example, as I said, the first thing in the menu was Clear with the word Clear to the right, so if I had moved to the right with the arrow key would that've instantly cleared everything or gone to something else like a Confirm Yes/No option or something?
    Also do you know if you have to adjust in all the different screen aspect ratios and could adjustment in one mode lead to problems in another?
    I also wondered if once you start changing one set of values i.e screen position and overscan would there be a knock-on effect on totally different parameters to do with gemetry etc.

If you or someone else could give me enough info on all this to give me the confidence I might have a go.

Thanks
    onzey

4. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Full info about the Philips service menus can be found here

This is what I used for my reference. Just make sure you write down the initial value of each variable before you change it.

The menus are pretty intuitive and easy to use. The overscanning is fixable by V-Amplitude and H-Amplitude.

And yes, changes you make in one aspect mode do affect other modes. The most important is the "wide" mode. This has the greatest number of variables and all the things you can change in other modes are just offset corrections (for that mode) to the values you set for "wide".

have fun :smashin:

5. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again blindlemon.