1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW6515 - is this normal?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by harry66, Mar 28, 2002.

1. harry66

harry66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I switched from a Faulty Panasonic 32DK1 to the 32PW6515 yesterday evening.
    Mixed impressions so far.
    e.g. Watching the Matrix DVD I can make out every single pore in Morpheus face - something I dont think I could do with my very old Mitshubishi or the new Panny. BUT the subtitles seem to have a minor shadow effect as do the bits of the main picture e.g. Neo's face sometime has a minor shadow round the edges. I have only tested with the SVideo socket at present to will see what happens with an RGB Scart connection.

Watching OnDigital thru the RGB Scart socket also gives mixed results. On most modern stuff e.g. Corrie last night and the Footy match the picture seems to be out of focus slightly - I think this is how the picture may have looked on my 7 yr old Mitshubishi. But as I have been using the Panny for the past week perhaps my eyes have got used the sharper picture of the Panny.
    Watchin an old rerun of the Good Life using OnDigital was really bad. The picture was really fuzzy and blocky around the edges of the characters etc. It reminded me of watching a very poor quality VCD!
    Cartoon Network seemed OK.

I dunno - what do you guys think? Is my telly OK or does it need to go back. I definitely feel that the picture is considerably poorer in most instances than the Panny 32DK1. Its just a shame that the SVideo and Scart2 are buggered on the Panny - otherwise I would love to keep it (they have no more in stock).

I am using the same basic SCART cables etc that I have with my old Mitsh and the Panny. The Svideo cable is a reasonable one - paid around £25 for it. OnDigital Box is set to RGB.

2. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The panny sounds better, can't they get any more in stock? Saw one in curry's the other day, great picture.

tom

3. harry66

harry66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    No, they cant get anymore. Apparently it is a discontinued model and Panasonic UK have run out. Having said that, one Edgeware box shifter type dealer did reckon they are getting some more in late April. However, most other Web retailers I contacted all claimed there would not be any more.

With regards the Philips, I tried turning the Sharpness setting right down to near minimum and the picture looks much improved. Watched some OnDigital and DVDs and it all looked OKish. I would have to set my Panny back up to compare but it is has been readied for return and it seems like to much effort.
    I think I may end up keeping the Philips - but I keep getting the feeling I may live to regret that decision.

4. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Some better scart cabling may help keep edges together and colour/brightnes values - most prefer scart rgb to s-video. Plus try adjusting levels of contrast etc. as, in case you don't know, factory defaults are always too much.
    Pana's are also renound for a harsher picture, if you like, and make some other sets appear soft.
    Also, do a search and you'll find tons of stuff from others with this model.

5. harry66

harry66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    My wife has come back off her break, checked the Philips and is not happy with the picture.
    I want to return the telly so HiSpek are sending an engineer out to confirm the fault.

Can people please help me and describe the known faults with the 32PW6515 in Technical Terms so I can make a list and leave it for him (just in case he gets awkward).

Many TIA.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Main faults I have had before exchanging for another make of TV are:-

Faults are:-
    1. Buzzing from rear speaker on 3 sets

2. Blocky effect on change of dark to bright picture (explosion etc)

Artifacts I dislike are:-
    1. White pictures too bright especially during sports (i.e. the shorts of the players looked too bright white and detracted from the action sometimes).

2. Vertical line images (towers etc) appear kinked when exiting from top of the picture .

3. Very loud creaks from the cabinet as it warms up (heard on all 3 sets).

4. Sound, when in Virtual Dolby , needed to be loud to hear the dialogue but was too loud when action scenes happened....required for my situation due to two small children in house.

NigelB

7. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello nigelb

I also have a pw6515 from hi spek that has been back twice for adjustment - i`ve just arranged another return, this time i`m going for replacement or refund.

basically, my problems are :

1: bowing inwards of picture across bottom of screen
    2:distorted sides on 4:3 picture (esp top left)
    3:fishbowl effect down 1" band of right side
    4:smaller fishbowl effect across top of screen
    5:picture shifted off centre to left (approx 1cm)

hth

rob

8. tk212

tk212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bugger!! I literally just ordered this TV - I knew I should have checked the forums before I ordered :rolleyes: ...Has anyone got a good thing to say about this TV? Please somebody tell me some good things!! :confused:

9. harry66

harry66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Endeva engineer came out - confirmed the TV was 'operating within specifications'.
    So HiSpek refused to take the TV back on a Faulty basis.

I can cancel the agreement as per Distance Selling regulations but then I will have to pay £60 shipping charges!

I persisted with the 'satisfactory quality' and 'fit for purpose' angle but they then said they would send the TV to Philips and if Philips confirm the TV was 'operating within specifications' , I would be liable for all charges involved etc.

I phoned Philips customer care and the bloke suggested a few different combinations of Sharpness/Colour/contrast settings etc and this appears to have improved the picture enough to live with it. The Endeva engineer who was sent out last week hadnt done anything to improve the picture.

I am still not truly happy with the quality but I just dont need the hassle at this moment in my life (got enough other things going on) so I think I will just put up with it. I have already had a Panansonic with faulty scart socket so dont fancy the risk of getting a 3rd telly with yet another problem. Better the devil you know etc....

The worst thing is than I even offered to pay half of the £60 return shipping cost to HiSpek but they still refused. So, for the sake of £30 they are prepared to have a pi**ed off customer rather than a happy one.

Wont be recomending them to anyone!

10. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Seem to remember reading that the blocky problem was caused by the Peak White Limiter being set too high (presumably to make the sets stand out in shops with bright strip lighting).
    Altering this setting would probably also cure the 'picture is way too bright' complaint mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Peak White Limiter is accessbible through the service menu.

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,
    Appreciate your comment on the peak white limiter to rid the blockiness but when I read the threads on accessing the Service menu for this model it sounded way too complicated and maybe easy to spot by the service engineer and so invalidate any warranty so did not try this. If this was the only problem with the 6515's I had then no problem but the buzzing from the speaker was much more annoying.

NigelB

12. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TK212,

Not everyone is having problems with this set. Mine is just fine and from hispek as well.

13. tk212

tk212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou - i know with these things you hear more about the bad points than the good, i just hope mine is OK :)

Thanks

14. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I also have a 32PW6515 and whilst I have noticed a slight hum from the TV everything else is excellent and fault free.