1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW6515 Can't fill screen?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jasonbrown, Apr 30, 2001.

1. jasonbrown

jasonbrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A mate's just purchased a Philips 32PW6515, which is a great value (£760) TV that looks great.

But having tried a selection of DVD's (16:9, 2.35:1, Anamorphic 16:9) we cannot get a DVD to fill the screen, ie we still get black borders top and bottom.

Is this a 'feature' of this tv? Is this thre reason it's at this low price point? Can anoyone confirm that this problem doesn't occur on more expensive TV's, eg Sony's WEGA???

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Jason

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jason

The TV shold automatically pick up the correct screen setting if connected via RGB scart.

If not, you can change between modes (4:3, 14:9, 16:9, Superwide and Widescreen) using the middle bottom button on the remote, you can also cycle the screen settings by pressing the left and right arrow keys.

I can't remember off hand which it is but some DVDs need the 16:9 and others Widescreen, you can also manually zoom the screen until the bars go by pressing the up and down arrows (up to zoom in, down to zoom out).

Best bet is to experiment but if you can't remove the bars after all that then it's probably a setting on your DVD player, there will probably be an option for widescreen mode on the player, check that is correctly set.

Failing that you've got a problem because it works fine on mine!

3. ISCM

ISCM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do not forget that some films are more widescreen than even a widescreen TV.
    This would explain why the black bars appear, even though you have a widescreen TV. Think how bid the bars would be on a normall TV.
    As long as the picture is not distorted and fills to the sides, the settings should be correct.
    I have a a similar Plilips TV and must say that the widescreen modes are quite flexable.
    All the time that there are three main aspect ratios for films, 16/9 which is the middle one seems the best choice for TV. Only 16/9 films will ever fit exactly with the other ratios leaving bars either above and below or at the sides depending on the ratio. :cool:

4. Beddie

Beddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Jason - Has your friend had any picture problems ( see OG's thread here )

as I was thinking of getting one. Thanks.

5. jasonbrown

jasonbrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys thanks for responding so quickly, I've always found this such a great forum.

We've tried every different type of DVD disc(16:9, 2.35:1, anamorphic 16:9 etc) and even by trying all modes with the remote (zoom, super zoom, 16:9 etc) we still cannot make it fill the screen, hence our surprise! One doesn't buy a widescreen tv to then have borders top and bottom, this is precisely the reason I want to dump my 4:3 Sony's and go widescreen. We have used SVHS and composite leads, both are exactly the same. We're using SVHS for quality, are you saying that SCART would be advisable?

And yes there are picture problems too, ghosting/lack of focus, also the picture curves quite badly at the bottom ie when we've got these borders we're trying to get rid of it's not a straight line and curves off (by say 1-2cm by the time it reaches the edge). The picture in general is noiwehere near as good as Sony WEGA's I've seen, but then again it's only £740!

Cheers for any further info anyone!!!

J

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There are TWO aspect ratios to concern yourself with.

The first is the VIDEO SIGNAL aspect ratio, which will ALWAYS be exactly either 4x3 or 16x9. The latter is also referred to as anamorphic, or enhanced for widescreen TVs.

The second is the FILM's aspect ratio, which may be anything from 4x3 to about 23x9. Any FILM which has a wider aspect ratio than 16X9 will NEVER fill a 16X9 screen (unless you distort the image in some way to do it).

To see what you want to see, you have to buy FILMS with a 16X9 aspect ratio (irrespective of the VIDEO aspect ratio). 16X9 is also referred to as 1.77:1. For all practical purposes, a FILM with a 1.85:1 ratio should also fill the screen.

Unfortunately, most packaging is misleading or incomplete in the information supplied, so it's not always easy to know what you've bought.

A couple of examples of 16X9 titles which are 16X9 in both content and video signal are R1 Starship Troopers, R2 Stargate (TV series). There are many others - but there are also many films which are wider still (and which, therefore, will give you black bars top and bottom).

Personally, I would rather have black bars and see the whole width of the film, than have none, and miss out on the left and right edges of the film.

7. ISCM

ISCM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To get a good picture with your TV use a good quality SCART lead. around £25-£30, set the DVD to widescreen and RGB output and connect the SCART to the correct input on the back of the TV. If you set the DVD player to Composite or Video, the picture may not be as clear as it should be.
    Remember that black bars at the top and bottom of the screen are normal for a film that is more wide in aspect than the even a widescreen TV A normal TV would have even bigger bars, so do not worry about this if the picture looks correct.
    An advantage of the SCART conection, is that if the DVD player is switched on after the TV, the aspect ratio should switch automaticly for DVD's