1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW6006 - Dark RGB/DVD Signal - the final answer?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Jonathan West, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I bought a 32PW6006 - seemed fine, no probs, quite happy with it. As I watched more and more DVDs I started to recognise the Dark RGB problem. This is particularly pronounced with the Two Towers DVD. No shadow detail, green cast in many scenes, etc. So I got a service guy in to see it. His immediate reaction (having watched the film a few nights before!) was that the TV was FAULTY ... so it was booked into the service shop.

The service shop tested it and the TV was working to specification. They returned it. I watched it - no change - so got them to have another look. The guy in the service shop has been very helpful and diligent, even getting the shop to buy TTT DVD to test it!

His conclusion? The TV is working to specification! He tested the DVD on other sets with the same chassis - exactly the same picture (problems). (My replacement TV is a 28" Philips model with a different chassis - TTT looks great on it!) He also checked the CL setting at my suggestion - this is the setting that decides how much current goes to the tube, hence brightness/contrast levels etc. He said the book says it should be set to 8 and not changed. (On my TV it was at 2 when I got it and I increased it to 5). He has now set it to 8, which has not made a lot of difference.

The final conclusion? If you watch DVDs through RGB and are at all particular about picture quality, DO NOT BUY THIS SET. In fact, many TVs may have the same problem, so watch a DVD first through RGB, and preferably a DVD with high contrast levels etc. (i.e. not a cartoon - try TTT!).

And what am I going to do? 1) try SVideo 2) try a different DVD player 3) I may see if I can persuade a local shop to let me try a Philips DVD player before buying, as others have sugested it may be the way Philips equipment handles RGB?

And finally, do not trust magazine reviews of TVs!!!!

2. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I have had a similar problem with the Panny PD30 - which other users have called dark crushing. The problem appears to be that the RGB output level of particular DVD players upsets the TV. The RGB output from some DVD players (and my Sky+) are fine with the PD30 but others are not.

There was a thread reporting this problem on another Philips model. That thread suggested running the RGB output from the DVD player through a second device to reduce the output. I tried running the RGB output from my DVD player through my Sky+ and the dark crushing problem was solved!!

Do not assume that the Philips TV will be happy with the RGB output from Philips DVD players so try before you buy! I tried the Panny PD30 with a Panny DVD player as well and the problem was exactly the same. Other DVD players (e.g. HK 25, Sony 730/930) do not seem to case the problem on the PD30.

Strictly speaking Panny and Philips could argue that their sets are not faulty. Given that many Philips TVs use Panny tubes I wonder if this shared problem is due to a particular shared component.

3. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

Currently I have my VCR (Pana NVHD660B) hooked into EXT2 on the TV, with the Grundig Sky digibox (not Sky+) hooked into the second VCR SCART. The second Sky SCART and the DVD SCART go into a switchbox and thence to EXT1 on the TV.

So how would I loop the DVD SCART through a second device?

I also have a second DVD (a Yamada cheapy from Amazon) which I will try as an alternative to my Pioneer DV350S.

And a plea to anyone not having the RGB problem on a Philips 32PW6006 or similar, what DVD players are you using?

4. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I hadn't noticed before but you are using the same DVD player as me. Maybe this particular Pioneer has a very high RGB output level.

It doesn't look like you have a loop through option with your current set up - unlees the Yamada has RGB SCART pass through.
    Looping through isn't really a long term fix. I am assuming that I am going to have to replace the Pioneer with something like the Sony 730 - which appears to work with the Panny PD30.

5. joecool

joecool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a panasonic s75 that has gamma, contrast and brightness adjustments, which seem to help regarding the RGB problem on the 6006, one draw back though......dark bars become more noticeable :rolleyes:

7. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Yamada DVD has Contrast, Brightness, Gamma, Hue, Saturation and Luma Delay adjustments. Which items should I start off by adjusting and in which directions to try and reduce the dark RGB problem? (The Pioneer has no video adjustments available in the setup menu ...)

and what is the "dark bars" that the previous post refers to?

8. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The brightness and gamma adjustments will bring the dark parts of the picture back to life. On the panasonic s75, the brightness has settings up to 15 (mine's set to 3) and the gamma 0-4 (mine at 2). Try them out and see what you think.

The dark bars are a problem which usually plagues the RGB channel on the 6006 the brighter the picture the more noticeable they become , do a search on dark bars for philips tv's (but if you don't see any 'vertical' bars, then don't bother ;)

hope this helps
    tom

9. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the telly back today - tried using S-Video from the Pioneer DVD, and the picture is much better than RGB - however the downside is that Region 1 discs play in B&W using S-Video!

So when I have a bit of time I'll try the Yamada with RGB ...

10. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried my Yamada 5520 (from amazon, a mere £40) with RGB into the Philips 32PW6006 - picture perfect! So now my (more expensive) Pioneer gets relegated to the bedroom.

11. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad your sorted ;)