Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Philips 32PW3908, DVD looks like VHS

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Cack3r, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Cack3r

Cack3r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've read alot of the other posts, mainly about the free 'tartan' bars that come with some of these philips tvs and PixelPlus.

Personally, I haven't noticed any bars, and when i tried the test (black background with contrast+brightness on max, i could only *just* make out a middle horizontal bar).

The problem is when I use a DVD or VHS source. The NTL Cable source is what i expected, nice crystal images.

The DVD playback is, i would say 'noisy'. Artefacts, pixelated and not very nice at all. VHS is worse again.

I took the DVD to a friends, Hitachi 28" .. and the playback is crystal. :(

Instead of being gobsmacked by the quality, when I sit back at normal viewing distance it just looks great, not gobsmacking.

Getting up close (2 feet) it looks horrid.

I've tried lots of settings/combinations, reset factory defaults etc, tried again. I can make the picture look better, but it doesnt get to look crystal !

I've tried DVD output direct to TV (S-VHS and Composite video (no scart on my DVD)), to EXT1 and Side connections.

I'm disappointed because the DVD output looked better on my knackered 23" hitachi which was 9 years old.

I'm disappointed because What Video and TV voted this Television best of the year. Yet I walk into any retailer and can see many other televisions with crystal displays !!!

I'm having the installation engineers around in a couple of days to bring me the *correct* cabinet :( , and have asked the retailer (Bennetts) to get them to evaluate the TV picture quality, since they've probably installed hundreds of them.

Regards

Nick

2. ellingtj

ellingtj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've found the problem with Pixel plus is the ideal viewing distance - up close, yes it looks awful - you have to get back from it. However to get the ideal look I found you have to sit so far back that the advantage of a large TV seems to disappear. One thing I've picked up from threads on here is to have the sharpness turned down low. Sorry for not being any help, I think PP is great but not quite developed enough.