1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PF9986 v Toshiba 32wl46

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by collinsvs, Nov 23, 2004.

1. collinsvs

collinsvs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help needed!

Having read all the reviews, seems that the Philips set gets a crazy amount of praise and would, therefore, be the right choice (especially at the web prices). However, this months Home Cinema mag gives the Toshiba set a great write up and actually says it's main rival is the Philips.

As the Toshiba is half the price, can anyone who has seen the two in action confirm if they do really match up that closely (as if they do Toshiba is a no brainer at the price)?

I'm not going to be too demanding a user, Sky sports and films mainly, but want to get the best picture etc that I can and will pay for the Philips if it is a better set.

Thanks in advance

VC

2. Howbury

Howbury
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You really do need to see the two together. The only chance of doing this is at John Lewis. They have loads in the warehouse but not on display when I went to Brent Cross over the weekend.

I am very happy with my Tosh, although Philips do make great TVs.

4. collinsvs

collinsvs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Mike

Did you buy the Tosh 32WL36B as confusingly there seems to be a 32WL36P out there which a retailer I spoke with this morning says is a model that is to be replaced (so I'm guessing isn't the new model that has only this month been reviewed in Home Cinema)

Cheers

VC

5. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The 32wl36 is now an old, old model. It was replaced with the newer 32WL46 which I have, brilliant set(!) and hardly had this been out then Toshiba brought out the 32WL48....Similar to the 46 model but with an HDMI input.

I viewed several sets before buying the Tosh, but given the choice again, I'd still buy it.