1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PF9986 V Sharp LC-30AD1E

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by james.tig, Jul 27, 2004.

1. james.tig

james.tig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About to take my first step into the world of LCD, after reading many reviews have narrowed it down to the above two. Does anyone have any views on which i should go for, image and sound quality is top of my list for must haves. I really like the look of the Sharp and has the added bonus of built in Digi box, and has had some great reviews. The Philips is slightly bigger, has the DVI input (which i'm unsure i would need) and has also recently had slighly better picture quality reviews than the sharp.

2. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Go for the philips. :thumbsup:

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    get the panny veira 32" much better than either!

4. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cannot believe that Panasonic released this without DVI or HDMI. It certainly would have been on my shortlist.

An alternative to the Sharp range you mention is their new G series - some models are listed on their web under Titanium series. These will possibly soon be augmented by others from the same range - speakers at side and analogue/digital tuner options.

5. james.tig

james.tig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did have a look at the new Sharp 32GD1E, looks very nice, this is the other option i suppose, nice true 16:9, 32" screen, built in Digi box and DVI socket. And Sharp have always done good with picture reviews, is this the answer to my prayers

6. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi

I just recieved my Sharp Aqous LC-32GA3E and upto now I am impressed with it.
    The model above is I believe the same as the one you are looking at but it lacks a onboard digital tuner.
    I decided to go for this model as the price difference is around £200 so a freeview box was a way to save some money.

One thing I noticed was the screen does display quite a lot of artifacts on the digital channels and also does seem a little noisy when using the inbuilt analogue tuner , this I believe is perhaps the facts that the screen is quite large and therefore seems to show more flaws in the picture.

The screen really does show what it can do with a picture source when you play a dvd.
    I am using a Cambridge Audio Azur 540d and when using progressive scan the pic looks superb on both pal and ntsc films.

Sound is impressive aswell and is a lot better than I thought it would be , it is more than good enough for watching standard tv but of course it would not compete with a dedicated audio setup.

My advice would be to go and see if you can view the Aqous , I am sure you would be very pleased with its performance and in my view it is one of the best looking lcd screens out aswell :smashin:

Good luck

Drphibes

7. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi, I'm also interested in the Sharp 32" LCD's, but I was under the impression that they hadn't been released inn the UK yet?

Can you tell me where you got yours?

Thanks,

8. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi

I got my Aquos from http://www.digiuk.com

They had to order the set for me and quoted 5-6 days to get the set .
    It took them 5 days to get the set and on the 6th day it arrived as promised via city link.

They are selling the set cheaper than what unbeatable have it listed for and they also offer free delivery aswell , so I quite happy with the service they provided me.

Drphibes

9. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a brochure from Sharp last week on their G series models and am a bit confused. The have an official leaflet on the LC-xxGD1E (32",37",45") which they market as Titanium Series all in the range having iDTV.

However, I also got pre release info on LC-32GA3E (no iDTV) available Aug and LC-32GA4E (no iDTV/side speakers) available Sep 2004.

Now its not August yet, but the LC-32GA3E is available, but no sign of the LC-xxGD1E models yet. Anyone know anything different.

As an aside, has anyone have the dimensions of these? The brochures are TBA. I've got an 1170x700 alcove to fill and my preference would be for speakers at side (with iDTV - LC-32GD4E?)

-Ian

10. Acidburn

Acidburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    drphibes > I'm stugling to find your tv...ive checked out the link and searched along with using the number you provided, also i went off to google and they cant find the product either ..:S can you provide us with a valid worth direct link? Please...

also 1 more thing to add how do you now that the tv is compatiable for the digital high quality tv signals now been introduced in 18 months time?

11. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try http://www.digiuk.com/sectionlist.asp?c=420668&s=&guid=&id=74 the range is listed there amongst others.

As for "digital high quality tv signals now been introduced in 18 months time". Not sure what you mean by this, but I guess you mean $ky. If so, then assuming that the $ky box outputs HD signals such as 720p/1080i, I would guess so since Sharp state:

It doesn't state whether this is via component or DVI, which the set does have DVI. No indication if it is HDCP compliant otherwise it would be useless if trying to connect with current DVI/HDMI equipped DVD players and future HD-DVD. Also, whether it takes input at native panel resolution - 1366x768 if I calculate correctly. This is important to me as my DVD player includes a scaler and I wish to avoid double scaling.

-Ian

12. Acidburn

Acidburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.digiuk.com/productdetail.asp?id=1573&c=420668&guid=&s=

is this any good? does it have HDCP?

13. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know anything about this model, but looking at the specs, it does not appear to have DVI in, thus HDCP is a non issue.

This set appears to be a generation older and has a lower resolution 1280x768 as opposed to 1366x768. Depending on what you believe, 1280x768 is 15:9 and 1366x768 is 16:9 but I have seen a post from someone knowledgable stating that 1366 is also 15:9. Alot happens with this technology each year so you may find that the G/Titanium series is a better bet quality wise too, but not necessarily.

As for HDCP - its basically a copy protection protocol that encrypts the digital signal. Any 'official' DVD player that outputs copy protected material (ie most) DVD's via a digital link must use HDCP. As its at the heart of the player, unlike things like macrovision that is a bolt on, and is in the digital domain, it is unlikely to be easily bypassed. To display HDCP encoded feeds, your display must be HDCP compliant, otherwise you will get a blank screen. So IMO, HDCP is a must have and personally I see no valid reason why a set of this cost and quality should not have the ability to decode HDCP material. Whilst HDCP has been around for a while, it is unfortunately the norm for displays not to have it. My advice is to assume the display is not HDCP compliant unless specifically listed, for DVI that is. HDMI is another digital protocol, but thankfully compatible with DVI using HDMI<->DVI adaptor leads. Simplistically, think of it as DVI+HDMI+sound in a smaller connector. So a display that had HDMI is HDCP compliant by nature. But there are only a few of these around, some high end plasma's, projectors and the Philips 32PF9956 32" LCD which I have not seen anything about other than in the Philips catalogue. Cost £2500 vs £2700 for the 32PF9986.

My big hangup though is the ability to digitally send at the native panel resolution, ie 1366x768. Crazily, this does not appear possible with most displays, even though DVI/HDMI would support it and there is less processing (ie cheaper) for the panel to do itself.

14. Acidburn

Acidburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would it not be possible to get some kind of add on in the near future? Since the technologiy you describe seems to have something to do with the TV iteslf... therefore won't we all have to buy a new one?!

i cant work out whether this philps one i've seen an i must admit it looks mint

http://www.consumer.philips.com/glo...bCatId=20_32_FLAT_TV_SU&productId=30PF9975_12

whether its got the HD thingy in it, also im struggling to work out whether its a just a monitor or its got a tv tunner in it.... if you follow, since most places are trying to sell a free view box with it :rolleyes:

15. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Certainly officially the answer would be no. And unofifcially, I think the lawers would be right on the case. How easy it is to crack, I don't know, but I guess not easy at all. The whole idea is to prevent copying of digital sources and decoding it prior to the TV would defeat the object.

As for the Philips 9975, its again previous generation to the 9986/9956. And no iDTV tuner but it does have an analogue one.

16. Acidburn

Acidburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can someone then find me a link to perhaps some tvs that do have iDTV i'm wanting to buy a new TV but i dont want to find out the 2 years down the line I have to buy another one since it wont work....