Philips-32PF9986.The Thin Blue Line

M

MAG777

Hi guys.
Have just found this forum.

I posted the below in the other thread about the 32PF9986 recall,but thought it warranted a new thread as it is a new fault.Read on :

I'm on my second 32PF9986 !!
I bought the first from BE Direct 3 weeks ago.The same day I discovered this,by now,common fault,that the ambilight being turned on freezes the remote.You then have to use the controls on the TV itself to enter the menu and turn the lights off to restore the remote's use.
Anyway,BE Direct sent me a replacement within 2 days,having had a few other sets with the same problem-this was before the Philips letter arriving.

But this second set has a developed a new fault after having worked perfectly for 10 days:

A blue line has appeared down the middle of the set where the picture divides if you select picture in picture or teletext on one side .

This vertical blue line is now constantly visible in all modes.
I am now waiting to hear from Philips.
BE Direct have been great and have offered me a full refund,but the TV is brilliant,apart from these glitches.
Must admit though i am a bit worried as to it's reliability,even when these faults are fixed.
But I don't really want a refund as i haven't seem anything else out there to compare !
'Tis a bugger !!

Hello,

I too had one on order from BE direct and it got recalled before I got it. I will now cancel the order, too much bad press / faults .... I have looked at the Panny and others but nothing catches my eye or brain.....

I have decided to wait for the Sharp LC32G4U, not seen it in the flesh but it looks the dogs ********. It is on sale in US for $3300. When it will arrive in Europe, I have no idea, but I have pestered Sharp UK>.....

Here is the sales speel.....

Sharp’s LC-32G4U is a state-of-the-art 32" widescreen1 LC-TV that can easily enhance the decor of any family room, living room or den. With a 16:9 aspect ratio, HDTV-compatible resolution of 1366 x 768, and breathtaking color purity, it is a next-generation TV to carry you into the high-definition future. The LC-32G4U utilizes Sharp’s proprietary Advanced Super View/Black TFT Panel, which provides levels of high brightness (450 cd/m2), an 800:1 contrast ratio, and wide viewing angles (170 degrees x 170 degrees). Additionally, the LC-32G4U is an HDTV Monitor, which means it is compatible with 720p signals from HDTV sources (separate DTV decoder required).

The LC-32G4U features an elegant new design with detachable high-aperture aluminum speakers to ensure the sounds is as outstanding as the picture. In addition, the included table stand can be easily removed for wall mounting applications.

Other features that distinguish the LC-32G4U include: a separate AVC System (TU-GA1U-S) which conveniently houses all terminal connections, including HDMI, DVI-I and 2 HD component video inputs; a PC Card slot which allows you to record and view still images and video on a PC Card; and Sharp’s proprietary Quick Shoot video circuit, which enables fast response time of less than 16ms.

Next-Generation 16:9 LCD Panels
from Sharp’s new state-of-the-art Kameyama factory.

32" Widescreen Advanced Super View LCD Panel1
is a Sharp proprietary panel with black TFT low reflection coating.

Wide XGA (1366 x 768) Resolution
displays HDTV program images in 720p and is compatible with off-air (terrestrial), cable and satellite HDTV broadcasts (separate HDTV tuner/decoder required to display HDTV broadcasts).2

AVC System (TU-GA1U-S)
is a separate (included) box that houses all terminals including HDMI and DVI-I.

High Brightness (450 cd/m2)
AQUOS(TM) Liquid Crystal Televisions are very bright. You can put them anywhere -- even near windows, doors or other light sources -- and the picture will still be vivid.

High Contrast Ratio (800:1)
provides incredible images whether you're watching dark or bright scenes.

Wide Viewing Angles (170º H / 170º V)
Sharp's viewing angles are so wide, you can view the TV clearly from anywhere in the room!

Detachable Speakers/Included Table Stand
are the ultimate in convenience!

PC Card Slot
lets you record and view still images on a PC Card.

Quick Shoot
is Sharp’s proprietary fast response time video circuit.

http://www.onecall.com/PID_23368.htm#23368

Cheers GL

That model isn't listed on unbeatable as afar as I can see? It's got the LC32GD1E whatever that is.

The LC-32GD1E is the UK equivalent of the LC-32G4U. They?re pretty similar as far as I can see, but the UK model has 3 scart inputs and no HDMI (still has DVI though)

I've now setup an exchange with BE DIrect.
I'm sending the Philips 32PF9986 back and getting the Panny TH37PE30 instead.Better than that,BE Direct are currently chucking in a DMRE55 DVD Recorder for only £20 !!!.See other thread for details

Can someone please tell me what will be the best setup for the Panny TH37PE30 and DMRE55 DVD Recorder ?

I just though that one plugged the scart from one to other.But now I have been looking through this forum I keep reading about progressive scan,component,etc.

Haven't a clue,so can someone explain in simple terms what it all means and what lead(s) I need to get the best pic for above models.Ta v much.

Hello,

See response below.......
:)

Hi
Thanks for your e-mail,
I can tell you that the model your refering to is the 32" lcd sold in America. DO NOT BUY this unit as it will not work in the uk, as it doesn't use the PAL system format. The model that is being sold in the UK is the LC32GA4e and should be avaliabe late August early September I hope this helps

Many thanks
John Matthews
Aqous Trainer

Sharp Electronics (UK) Limited
Reg. No. 965877
Reg. Office: Sharp House, Thorp Road, Manchester M40 5BE

Thanks

GL

Seems a bit odd that Sharp UK sent me a brochure with the LC-32GD1E in then... unless you were referring to the 32G4U

That would explain it. I think that the LC32GA4E is a model without a digital terrestrial tuner as it's a bit cheaper than the GD1E.

BTW MAG777, to get the best out of you setup, you should be using the component video output of your E55 to the plasma. You can then use progressive scan for DVDs. Give the forum a search for popular places to get component video cables.

I am looking at using my PC, I have installed a digital tuner card (£50) and a wireless router/card so I will use the screen 4 TV and tinternet(as they say in North), graphics card has the right output, remote control etc ....wheres me telly......!!!!

GL

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom