1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PF9986 - the right choice for LCD?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by chunkymunky, Jun 7, 2004.

1. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fingers freshly burned from trying to buy a 37" Panny Plasma (not the PE30 but the PA20 analogue tuner version) from PRC Direct I've decided to go for the latest Philips LCD from Electrical Discount UK. Bit radical I know but couldn't decide between LCD and plasma especially with 32" being the optimum size for my living room (the Panny was pushing it a bit although with the picture being so awesome I suppose you could sit quite close to the screen). Anyway took a trip down to Comet and the Philips set looked good - very good, especially compared with the 32" Hitachi PD5200 Plasma next to it. Now I know that the quality isn't going to be great through an RF feed and that all the sets are fighting for their bit of signal but it just looked so much brighter and sharper. I am pretty new to all of this so will probably cop some abuse from all of you experts out there and there does seem to be two distinct camps - those who favour plasma and those who favour LCD. I will be using the set to watch SKY 80% with DVDs the other 20% and only had around £2300 to spend. Got the set from Electrical Discount UK for £2179.99 + £19.99 delivery with a 3 year warranty for just an additional £130. Have I got a good deal? I see from this site that there have been some problems with this particular model - the ambi lights causing the remote control unit to render itself dead etc. Tried this in Comet but found no problems. Is there a genuine design fault here or is it limited to those unlucky people venting their frustration on this site. Finally, none of the suppliers can confirm that it is supplied with a wall bracket however Philips Customer Care state that one is provided. Can anybody please confirm. Thanks. :lease:

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    All Philips sets are provided with wall brackets (nothing special but do the job) in the box.

Welcome to the forums btw :thumbsup:

3. dmoggie

dmoggie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes this Set is supplied with a wall bracket. Much better than the one with 30 LCD.

I have this set and have only found the remote to play up when I have ambilight on its "warm" setting. Still works! and on all other settings(I check evryone last night) its fine.

I have had this set for a week now and Iam still playing with all the settings.

If you have read any of my posts over the past few day they may have put you of buying this set. DVD's are excellent and as a gamer PS2 and XBOX are perfect.Sky on the other hand has been a nightmare. Some channels are good others are crap.

I have changed my sky box and adjusted my settings and I am now happy(ish) with my picture.

Over all iam very impressed with the set.

4. Tonester

Tonester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was the Sky box you had/have Sky+?

5. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Dmoggie, have read a load of posts especially those concerning the ambilight vs remote control issue but in the end the pros of the unit seemed to outweigh the cons. In fact I was actually considering 3 other 32" LCD units (JVC, Samsung and the new Panny) - the first two were non-starters compared with the Philips and I couldn't find the Panasonic on display anywhere!

Bit concerned about the SKY situation especially as I've got a crappy Grundig receiver and the picture on my flat-screen Hitachi is already crap. Was hoping to go for SKY+ but the offer for £1 installation seems to have been revoked (certainly won't be paying £50 for it on top of the box). Do you think that it might be worth getting this DVE DVD disk that i've seen mentioned on this site (£14.95 from play.com)? Maybe that would help with the screen set-up?

So in the main, are you happy with your choice of screen?

6. dmoggie

dmoggie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I was orginally going to buy the 30" philips and found this set had just been released,like you I had already looked around and didnt like the look of the others(samsung was really bad)

Grundig!!! thats what I had! When you get it home and set it up you will be disappointed with the picture. Get yourself a new reciever( I borowed 3 different types from mates) I found the panny was a big improvent.

I have just ordered Sky+ last night and had the sports channels swithed on.

Watched golf and speedway last night very good picture, theses channels must use a high bit rate.

Will have a look at that disk you mentioned as I havent heard of it.

YES. This is a very good screen and that its the problem. The picture is only as good as the sourse and if the sourse is crap it shows up.

Get it, play about with all the setting (im still) and you will be as happy as me