1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PF9986 & Slimline PS2

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Phill_1981, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    When I hook up the PS2 to my 9986 LCD I get a 1" black border around the game image, is this normal with this screen? Why doesn't it fit the whole screen?

(connceted be an IXOS scart lead)

:thumbsup:

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I take it you have tried the screen expansion button to full 16:9 setting. Should work. If you still have the border on this setting then try different picture settings within the PS2.

Jimmy

3. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Yes, it's normal; the PS2's output doesn't fill the whole frame, however a lot of televisions hide the fact with "overscan."

CRTs use a lot of "overscan" when displaying an image, which is why you usually don't see it on them. Overscan basically stretches the image beyond the physical dimentions of the screen, if that makes sense, effectively cropping as much as ~5% of the picture.

On a CRT the bars would distort heavily as brightness etc changes, which is why it's used. On an LCD, you do not have these issues, so they display the full frame onscreen, rather than using a huge amount of overscan.

With the PS2 it means you see borders, but with an Xbox, DVDs etc it means you're actually seeing ~5% more information onscreen.

4. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Cheers guys, glad its normal so I dont have to try sending one back to the shop!

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You know, I've been using my Playstation on the 9986 for 9 months and I never even noticed this! Shame on me...You can get rid of it nearly by using the 16:9 expand, but this distorts the picture a little.

Jimmy