1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PF9986 & Sky+

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by andy c!, Jan 25, 2005.

1. andy c!

andy c!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,
    I have also posted this question on the sky+ thread, so soz for any duplication.
    Basically my 9986 arrives on Thursday, and I intend to utilise the DVI to connect a new DVD player into it (Make etc not yet decided), and Sky+ will also be connected via the scart inputs.

Anyone using sky+ into this tv got any useful hints or tips?

any help or advice given gratefully appreciated...

regards

andy c!

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There are some general settings that improve the picture over the standard setup. Just ensure at this point that you have some decent scarts to hand and we'll deal with the settings when you have the set.

Jimmy

3. andy c!

andy c!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jimmy,
    Any recommendations re make of scart to use?
    I have a RGB only scart for my current DVD player(will be replaced with a diff lead when I get a new DVD player etc), which obviously won't work with sky+.

regards,

andy c!

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Check out www.tvcables.co.uk They have fantastic quality 'No Name' scarts for £5.99! Metal bodies, Gold connectors.. I have a few of these and they are perfectly capable. They also do component leads for £8.99! Amazing quality....

You'll notice that I have replied to a chap looking for settings for his 9986 - he watches football and was concerned about the PQ. The settings there will be the same (mostly) for you.

Jimmy

5. andy c!

andy c!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok,
    Well its installed, and thanks to Jimsan :thumbsup: , picture is just brill. I currently have my old Pioneer into av1 via rgb scart, and the picture is much sharper etc that the Toshiba Crt the Philips has replaced.

My plan is to rgb scart the sky+ into av1, and after getting either the Denon 1910 or 2910 dvi-dvi that into the philips.

Jimsan, you mentioned other tweaks that could be done. I have a good quality scart now.

Any other good tips?

andy c!

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Did you read that other thread with my settings listed? If you can't find it I'll shortcut it here for you later.

There are further tweaks to the ones listed on that thread, but I'll wait until you've confirmed you've got it set up with those settings before taking it further.

Jimmy

7. andy c!

andy c!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI Jimsan,
    Your settings have been implimented and with stunning results, thanks. My wife thought that on the factory settings peoples faces looked orange LOL!

Am also getting really good results off of RGB scart via the Pioneer DVD player - have chatted up my friendly Naim dealer (Cymbiosis - Leicester) to lend me the Dnon 1910 and 2910 tomorrow...

Worst thing is my av processor has packed up today, and is 7 yrs old. Bugger! :oops:

So, any other tweaks?

andy c!

8. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    OK Andy, remaining tweaks really make very little difference, and you've got to be prepared to be Pro-active with the Menu.

If you are watching a really good source signal, you don't really need the DNR working. This facility has the effect of smoothing over and processing out interference. It also seems to slow down the reactivity of the screen. Run without it if you can. If you watch Terrestrial TV a fair bit then you'll need it. It works very well indeed.

PP2. Again, I actually use this most of the time, but the picture can be smoothed out a bit by running the PP2 in Movie Mode. This is still PP2 just at a different setting. If you really want to smooth out the picture, to CRT levels, run the TV with the Progressive Scan setting. This does away with virtually all of PP2's Pixel doubling feature. Some like this setting, but I don't.

Active Control. (Centre Button at the bottom). This just really adjusts the TV for room ambient conditions - ie. it dims the screen when you dim the room lights etc. I'm not too keen on this as it messes around with my carefully selected settings! I do, however, run it at Minimum.

The next tweak is in the Service Menu. This is a little tricky to access and the adjustment only makes a tiny difference. Punch in 062596 and then the info button (i+).

Pop down to 'Alignments'. Across to 'General'. Down to 'Luma Gain'. Mine was set at 1. I reduced it to 0. The effect is to reduce the backlight intensity. I'm noy entirely sure if that is what this does, but to my eye the Blacks become Blacker. I also popped down to 'Blend Intensity' and upped it to 15. Damned if I can see any difference, but the picture is now as good as I can get it.

I wouldn't recommend messing with any other settings in here unless you really know what you are doing. If you do change anything ensure you have noted down the origional setting so that you can return to them.

I'll leave you to mess with the Ambilght to suit your own preferences. Also please muck about with any of my setting recommendations and let me know what you discover!

Fun.

Jimmy

9. hansje

hansje
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    at the installation menu there you can find sources.
    here you should indicate what is connected to the external sources.

if you have selected this, that will give also a pre-adjustment for your picture settings.