1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PF9986 Price Match at John Lewis

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by eHuggy, Nov 4, 2004.

1. eHuggy

eHuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, my local John Lewis currently have this TV for £3000 inc. their standard 5 year warrantee. However, online the cheapest seems to be around £2000 with the additional 5 year warantee available for another £400. Trouble is, I'd prefer the warm feeling of dealing with someone like JL, and someone who is local enough to go and stir up trouble if I have problems.

What I would really like is to find a bricks and mortar retailer who I can get my local JL to price match at around the £2500 mark.

Has anyone done this, or have any good suggestions of places to try?

2. barton

barton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How lucky are you be the recipient of my first post.

I have recently got a price match from JL in Solihull on my 32PF9986. I used Sound and Vision online as they have a shop front in Farnworth, Bolton. They currently have this TV up at £2075. Had no problems with JL, they were very helpful.

I must say, I am quite impressed by the 9986 and would highly recommend it. Sky could be better but that's not the TV's fault.

The only other comment I would make is the current issues on the forum with the component to DVI-I issues. I have not tried this yet but my TV was not shipped with the adaptor.

3. eHuggy

eHuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply......that price is definitely going to make for an easier conversation with my wife :clap:

I really like the look of the TV, but your comments on Sky worry me a little as that will be its prime use in our house. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it set up with Sky as a demo anywhere to see it for myself. Can you describe the problems that you are getting and how bad they are?

Cheers...

4. barton

barton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well... There is quite a lot of information on this forum re the picture quality on Sky so do a bit of reading. The bottom line is, the TV is not at fault. It is just the bit rate that many Sky channels are broadcast with is substandard. Most of the movie channels are fine and a good deal of the other more premium channels. LCD panels obviously run at a much higher resolution than CRT so the reality is that poor picture quality is just more noticiable. It still exists on CRT, just harder to tell. Get this TV set up with a decent DVD player and you will appreciate just how impressive the picture is for the money. The other thing to point out is you can do a lot to combat these problems, even with the default digital enhancement modes that exist on the TV, i.e the Dynamic Noise Reduction (DNR) function. Put it this way, it has never been enough to put me off watching anything. Also the Ambilight is awesome. I have wall mounted mine and I am well impressed with it. When you turn off the Ambilight you really feel that something is missing. Hope this helps. Anyway, one other thing. If my other half dosent moan about it, it can't be that bad... :zonked:

5. eHuggy

eHuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the info. I had read a fair bit about Sky signal quality, hence the question really. Glad to hear it doesn't show itself up too bad on the Philips.

When I get it, I am tempted to put mine on the Philips stand that you can buy (though by the looks of it, only in the Netherlands at the moment!) as it is very cool looking.

6. tezzer

tezzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have you got a link to a pic of this stand? Been looking for ages.

Thanks
    Tezzer

7. eHuggy

eHuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Hyp3rion

Hyp3rion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barton
    What is the supplied wall bracket like?
    Is it quite flat and roughly how much does the LCD stick out from the wall in mm :x

9. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also liked look of this stand (pseudo wall mounted without the holes!) and saw a very similar new Alphason support in their new catalogue - model AG94/2-s, part of their 'Aragon' range. Description says "ideal solution to support LCD or Plasma screen...universal fixing bracket supplied suitable for largest screens incorporating vertical adjustment facility. www.alphasondesigns.com

It's a 2 shelf model 94cm wide (not sure this would be enough for me since 1 shelf would be occupied with centre speaker?). £349 rrp

10. barton

barton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hyp3rion,

The wall bracket is just an approx 1m long strip of metal that is around 1cm deep. Mounts to the wall with approx 10 screws and the TV just hooks in to it. Probably sticks out around 12cm. Looks great!!!

11. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    BARTON

Have you mounted your set on the Philips bracket which I found leaves the set with virtually no gap between the set and the wall. When I did this the ambilight exprience was very limited.

I then installed the set on a Vogel Tilt and turn bracket which when tilted for the most suitable viewing angle for my wife and I, one side of the set is vitually touching the wall and the other side is about 18 inches away from the wall. The ambilight is very apparent on the right side of the picture but none exisant on the left side.
    Because of the bracket fixing I am contemplating fixing a concertina type
    old out white screen type effect on both sides-when not in use I could fold back the extension pieces to hide out of the way.
    I cannot think of any other way to benefit from the ambilight.
    I was thinking of getting a piece of white thin plastic 18" high and about 18" wide-this would be cut in half and held together with a piano type hings.

Any body got any other solutions as unless the set is wall mounted or set on a stand reasonably close to a wall the ambilight may as well not be switched on.
    :lease: :lease: