Philips 32PF9986 Opinions required

chris210972

Ex Member
Reaction score
hi there,
i am really hoping you guys can help me here.

i have the opportunity to buy myself a new tv.
i have looked at lcd and plasma and after loads of hair pulling i have decided to go for the philips 32pf9986 lcd.
my room is quite small and the 37" plasmas are a little too big so have decided a 32" will be just right.

the philips has really caught my eye and has some excellent reviews, can anyone help?
is this tv as good as its reviews say?

what are your opinions?

thanks

Yes. Absolutely. Most definitely. Highly recommended. Best in Class. Staggering.....

Jimmy

wow!

to be honest its between the philips lcd and the panasonic viera plasma 37 which are both roughly the same size.

the philips looks cool though and to be honest i'd rather get lcd than plasma (don't know why though).

i also like the sound of ambilight!

The Ambilight is great. Bizarre, but great.

LCD's, at the moment certainly, have the edge over Plasmas in a number of ways...

Picture quality is, of course, subjective, but to my eyes an LCD has the potential for a crisper image.
LCD's use less power and will last, in theory, twice as long - most have 50 - 60000 hour backlights. (20-25 years).
LCD's run cooler and don't suffer from 'screen burn'.

You may have gathered I have a Philips 32" 9986, but only made the purchase after rediculously exhaustive research and product testing. At the moment, it is the one.

Jimmy

thanks for that i'm really looking forward to getting it.

can u advise any good dvd players that accept dvi for this screen?

thanks again

I agree with jimsan
32pf9986 is the best!!!
as for dvd player I'm waiting for the philips 900sa with hdmi which is going to be released this month

i'm ****** off with having to wait 3-4 weeks for it though.
i ordered it from empire direct for £1980.00

its 2500.00 in comet and 3000.00 in curry's

I'm no great authority on DVD players...but..

There are two routes to take.

Progressive scan DVD player feeding a component signal through the DVI adapter. Picture quality is superb even at 576p. (Lines Progressively Scanned)

OR.

High Definition DVD player outputting a 720p signal directly into the DVI output. I don't know much about which of these to get, but I suspect they may be rather more expensive than the conventional ProgScan players. PQ will be staggering.

My setup is the Denon DHT-500SD Home Cinema system which has a smashing DVD player/reciever head unit.

Jimmy

chris210972 said:
i'm ****** off with having to wait 3-4 weeks for it though.
i ordered it from empire direct for £1980.00

its 2500.00 in comet and 3000.00 in curry's

You've got to laugh.
Before xmas the panel was only £2099 from Curry's (web exclusive) and all Comet have done is reduce the over the top price but removed the "free" 15" LCD telly offer:)

The run up to Christmas is a popular time to buy a new TV, the Philips is a popular set. Anywhere offering a good price on it is bound to be low on stocks (or out of stock). Supply and demand.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom