1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32pf9986 - intermittent blue screen

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by BillSykes, Mar 18, 2005.

1. BillSykes

BillSykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

I have started to get an intermittent blue screen when watching DVD's through component/vga/dvi on my pf9986. :(

It is not constant and I cannot reproduce the fault when I try. However it is very annoying and very distracting. :mad:

I have a Sony ns955 player feeding a progressive signal but I think the fault is with the screen.

Has anyone else had this fault and if so is there a solution or will I have to send it back? :confused:

Many thanks

:lease:

2. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you checked the cables are correctly seated?

3. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    get your TV upgraded to the latest firmware if you are on the old v1.3.

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Bills TV will be 2.x as it does work with Component and Progressive Scan. The blue screen would indicate a loss of signal and, as Alan has suggested, it could be that one of your cables is faulty. You'll have a component lead, connected to the Component/VGA adapter then into the VGA/DVI adapter. Messy isn't it? If all of these are OK then I would suspect a de-interlacer flaw of some sort. Not sure if this is caused by the DVD player or the TV.

Can you borrow another Progressive DVD player somewhere to try and eliminate this from your enquiries!

Jimmy

5. pjoslo

pjoslo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    my vsn 2.3 exhibited the same problem yesterday.
    During "Spinal Tap" there are two scenes where the screen goes completly white - the 9986 seemed to struggle and gave me a blue screen momentarily - very irritating!! This happened every time i watched the scene, without fail.

I then tested with another DVD player using the same component cables and could not reproduce the problem.

The DVD player with BSOD (!!) was a NAD-T562.
    The DVD player/recorder without fault was JVC DR10M.

This would indicate a problem with the NAD rather than the 9986.

Cheers,

ian

6. pjoslo

pjoslo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just noticed Billsykes sig - quite possible we were watching the same DVD :)

7. BillSykes

BillSykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

Only just seen this reply :blush:

Haven't tried Spinal Tap on the PF9986 yet (awesome disk though :eek: ).

However the intermittent blue screen has now got so frustrating that Philips are due to take my screen back for testing :mad:

It just seems to me that this horrible assortment of adapters to put component into the screen is the most likely candidate. [Jimsan, could you let me have the original untweaked settings back for me to return the blacks to the factory settings before it is collected? ;) Thanks :smashin: )

Philips will only test their kit which leaves the dvd player and the component cable's status unknown . . . My dvd player (Sony NS 955) is still under warranty so, as the retailer I purchased it from (DVDHeaven) seems to have disppeared, I shall have to contact Sony direct and have it tested by them.

Overall I'm really not very happy with this at all :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'll let you know how I get on (especially as I am now going to be without either a TV or DVD player for an unknown length of time . . . ).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2010
  8. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Surely you've tried another DVD player by now Bill??? Or tried your DVD player in another TV? There is no need to send everything away! It's got to be one or the other...

I assume you set the Luma Gain to 0. Just pop back into the Service Menu (062596 then i) and pop the Luma Gain back to 1.

Jimmy

9. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The blue screen indicates that the sync was (temporarily) lost and the TV does not recognize the picture format.
    Without professional measurement equipment it will be very difficult to tell if the output of the DVD is at fault, or the TV does not sync on a signal that in reality is valid.
    It could well be that the DVD player outputs less sync level than formally required, and the TV does not recognize it when the picture is all white (= the video component is at its strongest).

Given the choice I would first check the DVD player.
    However, you will need a digital storage scope for that, I'm afraid.

10. BillSykes

BillSykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmmm, seems to me you are right and that it is the DVD player that is at fault.

I will pursue this line of enquiry further.

Thanks for the continued advice.