1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PF9986 image Problem

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ttkanen, May 18, 2005.

1. ttkanen

ttkanen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the 32PF9986 couple of months ago and have been following the forum since. Thanks for some oh the good advices I've got from here.

Have to say I'm a bit disappointed for the picture quality of the screen, and I wonder if something could be done for that, because a lot of people seem to have a "brilliant picture" with the same screen. I have got the "optimized settings" (Thanks Jimsan and others) from here, which I have altered a bit.

First I wasn't too happy with the blacks of the screen, but after I reduced the luma gain from the service menu, it has stopped bothering me. Actually, there's only one problem which I can't seem to get rid off.

From both digital and analog sources, there are halo or ghost-like effects around moving objects, especially around peoples heads in close up images. I wonder if this is due to slow response time of the screen, but not many people have brougth this up. I've tried to set the automatic image processing settings to as low as I can get, but still the problem remains. I think the worst case is when someone is walking towards the camera, and his or hers head comes up and down a bit on every step, and it often seems like the eyes stay in the same spot while the rest of the head is moving (not always that bad, but hope you get what I mean).

It has the same effect whether the active control is off or on, and none of the settings seem to remove the problem (DNR, Sharpness etc). I wonder if that has something to do with the "Digital Natural Motion", which you cannot turn off I figured?

First couple of week I had the set, I didn't pay much attention to this problem, but I guess I was too busy with the contrast and black level settings then. Or is there a possibility that there is something wrong with the screen, i guess the luma gain setting doesn't have anything to do with this? Now that everything else is under control, this is a problem (or a feature) which bothers me a lot.

Do I just have live with that, or does anyone have any good advices? The software version of the set is 2.0

Thanks,

ttkanen

2. mr-monday

mr-monday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I think this one of the problems when you display low res pictures on a high res screen. Software is used to fill in the missing information and , to be honest, it doesn't work very well.

I've also see a similar effect on 100hz CRT sets.

3. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All digital enhancers off, including pixel plus 2? Use the movie mode, pixel plus 2 causes a lot of artifacts around moving heads indeed.

4. colinw

colinw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi there ttkanen,

Blimey, i read your post and was thinking, hang on i wrote the very same thing just after i got my tv.

I had a hard time adjusting to my tv, bit like you, i loved it at first, then began finding fault with it, but that was a while ago, and now i love my tv to bits.

Sure they have halo problems now and then, i get the exact same effect as you do, and had a hard time trying to explain it to others on this forum as well, but these days i see others going down the same road as me on here.

I mainly only see the halo effect if i watch certain dvd's on my panasonic s97 player (rgb) which i don't really use much now.

I mainly use my modded xbox set to ntsc mode and use the hidef output in 720p mode and i watch my dvd's this way, much better picture and even my divx and svcd films look brill via the xbox, not to mention the games in hidef as well.

Nearly all my sky channels look fantastic, except a slight motion blur when watch football.

So i guess you just have to live with it for now, until it all starts going hidef anyway, the the picture will look brill :)

Anyone want to buy my panasonic s97 dvd player (too little used) ?

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have heard that the PQ from this Panasonic has been causing a lot of people some concern......

ttkanen,

The advice you've been given here is all correct. The only thing I might add is that you may be sitting a little close...What is your viewing distance?

If you run the TV on 'Movie Plus' turn the 'Active Control' to 'Min' or 'Off' and sit at least 7 feet away, the picture should be superb. The trick is to allow the screen to react as quickly as possible. As Mr-Monday says, however clever the TV is, if the signal is poor, there is a limit to how much the TV can clean it up.

Jimmy

6. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    How did you access the service menu?
    Thanks in advance
    Regards
    chambeaj