1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32pf9986 got it yesterday

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ollielfc, Jan 23, 2005.

1. ollielfc

ollielfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    got the 9986 delivered yesterday £1999 web exclusive.I would like to thank all those who posted tips and info about the 9986 it helped a great deal in my decision.Got a few questions though.
    1)Cant get nexttv which channel broadcasts this is it only on for certain programmes,
    2)What is cinema go doesn't seem to do anything.
    3)Not got sky at the moment just a terrestrial signal is sky worth the money is it a much better signal,
    4) Any info when HDTV programmes will be seen.
    5)Looking for a dvdr next any recommends to acompany the 9986.
    6)Any more tips i am info hungry at the moment playing around with the tv.
    thanks in advance

2. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    When you say terrestrial, do you mean digital ( Freeview )? Sky only offers more channels than Freeview and Freeview's bit rate is supposed to be higher, but Sky is fine. Bit rate is more important than strength ( as long as the signal is strong enough to get a picture that does not break up ). If you mean analogue then either would be better.

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Forget the NextTv and the Cinema trickery at the moment. Not really necessary in the real world.

Lets concentrate on the important stuff. Is the terrestrial signal you are getting really good? Some terrestrial feed pictures can be really good. However, you do need to provide this TV with a good quality signal to get the best from it. Both Sky and Freeview have advantages and disdvantages. Look into this and decide which is best for you. Freeview is cheaper but with fewer channels.

HDTV will only be available through Sky sometime in 2006.

Ideal DVD Recorder would be the Panasonic E55, E65, E85 etc. The E55 is a smashing wee recorder that outputs a splendid Progressive Scan picture which really suits the 9986.

Get yourself sorted with Sky (if you want HDTV in the future) and the DVD recorder and then we'll help you tweak your setup to perfection.

Jimmy

4. ollielfc

ollielfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for the ideas i cant get freeview to recieve a signal through the aerial using analogue with a indoor aerial the reception wasn't great at first but it seems to be improving dont know why.I dont like using the freeview remote what came with my sagem freeview box.The Philips remote is outstanding can it be set up to control the tv this is why i haven't tried the freeview box,
    Watched Jurassic park yesterday the sound and music was terrific but noticed a booming when the was any high bass the review on what tv website states this tv cant handle the bass is ther a tweak round this.

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Go into the main menu. Select Sound. Pop down to Loudness and turn it off. Then pop down to Surround mode and turn that off too. Also check the settings in the equaliser. The 120Hz, 500Hz should be around halfway.

Jimmy

6. ollielfc

ollielfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks jimmy