Philips 32PF9986 first few hours!!!

When you are watching a DVD through the DVI connection and you press the little PixelPlus button on the remote quickly you get the split screen thing showing the PP2 on and the PP2 off. You reckon the left hand side (PP2 off) is sharper???

Have a wee rub at your eyes and try again....

I have never tried the PS2 any other way than with the RCA connections. But I'm syre you could use the scart adapter that came with the PS2 and run it through Ext 3. Picture quality will be hellish, but it'll work. You really do have to have access to both Ext1 and 2, so your Ixos may be better suited to connecting something else (Sky to Recorder?) and purchase two rather slimmer scarts.

There is an option to turn on more OSD features, but this not only shows the volume bar but also places a permanent channel number in the top left corner! Dumb. Try it by going into the Menu. Click down to Setup, then across to General, Go down 5 clicks to OSD and select normal. You choose.

Jimmy

Ok, I did as you said Jimsan, and the software was : TX21EU-1.3_06921, is that V1.3?

rob67 said:
Ok, I did as you said Jimsan, and the software was : TX21EU-1.3_06921, is that V1.3?
I'm afraid so Rob. This, I believe means that your TV has not been modified to handle a Progressive Component input through the DVI connection. Did it come with a DVI/VGA/Component adapter?

You may decide that this is not important to you and you may choose to do nothing. Alternatively your retailer is obliged to sell you a TV which does what it says it should.

I recommend that you return it to your retailer and demand a replacement with the updated software. Quite how you verify it's version before you get it I don't know, but it really shouldn't be your problem.

Sorry Rob.

Jimmy

I thought v2.0 software was late enough?

If it is not, do you know whether it is possible to get an upgrade disc to do the job in-situ? I really do not want to go through the return to dealer route. Very, very inconvenient.

I finally got the time to get back in the forum.
It's almost a week now since I got the 32pf9986 and I'm even more pleased with it. :thumbsup:
I have tested many DVDs and every one was excellent. :clap:
BTW I bought it for 3300 Euros through a friend who has very good connections, since the best price I could get was 3800!!!!
Anyway here's a photo of the TV (unfortunately not very clear since my camera isn't any good, but I guess Santa is bringing me a new one :laugh: )

Attachments

• DSC00784.jpg
    DSC00784.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 304
Do they all come with the Philips whiteboard?

The other think,iIm sure the UK spec surround is grey. That was my very first impression of the set when it first came out - I was sure that it had a black surround but in the flesh it was grey.

Tony B said:
I thought v2.0 software was late enough?

If it is not, do you know whether it is possible to get an upgrade disc to do the job in-situ? I really do not want to go through the return to dealer route. Very, very inconvenient.
Tony,

V2.0 should be OK. Can't say for sure. Mine, and a lot of the others, have V2.1 which is cetainly OK.

Try it and see.

Jimmy

Hi, One last Question,
I dont Know Much About this whole TV thing, so im Not worried about DVI Inputs Or Cga stuff, all i want to know is will it still be high definition ready, thats the main reason i upgraded
Thanks for all your help, you really know your stuff

Rob

If it's a V2.1 then...yes.

There may be a bit of faffing about come the time, because Sky are most likely going to be broadcasting at 50hz and there is some doubt over whether the 9986 will handle 720p at 50Hz as well as 60hz. I think it will, but even if it doesn't there will, I'm sure, be adapters/converters to sort it. I'll do a bit od digging about to try and reassure you...and me. Can anyone help?

Sorry to be a little indecisive...

Jimmy

jimsan said:
Tony,

V2.0 should be OK. Can't say for sure. Mine, and a lot of the others, have V2.1 which is cetainly OK.

Try it and see.

Jimmy

Well, I am pleased to say that my Denon 3910 arrived today, and the DVI to DVI connection works fine. 576p, 720p and 1080i all OK. So no need to worry about component connections.

I have not really had time to tweak the settings yet - strangely 576p seems pretty much as good as 720p (and both are better than 1080i), the only real difference being the lack of black bars ( a larger image in other words).

Going to have to work some means of switching DVI sources when I get the hi-def satellite receiver.

Will I be able to use the Denon 3805 A/V receiver to act as a switching box?

jimsan said:
I'm afraid so Rob. This, I believe means that your TV has not been modified to handle a Progressive Component input through the DVI connection. Did it come with a DVI/VGA/Component adapter?

You may decide that this is not important to you and you may choose to do nothing. Alternatively your retailer is obliged to sell you a TV which does what it says it should.

I recommend that you return it to your retailer and demand a replacement with the updated software. Quite how you verify it's version before you get it I don't know, but it really shouldn't be your problem.

Sorry Rob.

Jimmy

First chance to get back with first impressions. Mine was delivered a day earlier than the revised delivery date but luckily we had cleared a couple of cabinets out of the lounge to accomadate this. I bought a Optimum LCD8003SL stand at the same time which raises it to a good veiwing height (a bracket comes with the TV to place it on the wall but I still need to place a Sky box/DVD recorder player/Cinema system somewhere). Its a bit bigger -100mm each side of the stand but the screen/bezel & support stand do not overhang, I was goining for a Sharp 32GA3E but after the shambles with Sharp I lost heart).
Unfortunately it is version 1.3, I have telephoned TV&Video direct & they have agreed to arrange a return after christmas. A bit shambolic from Phillips as its £40-50 delivery to the IOW, x3 journeys from the profit margin!
First impressions-brilliant even an old TCM John Wayne movie looks to be in 3D, will take getting used to. At first I could hardly look at the screen due to the brightness but that is due to the default setting for retailers I believe. I have had a small play & set it up as a centre speaker with the cinema system but I have to reset the level as you can control the volume in the menue (found it once) & also from the cinema system.
The Liteon DVD recorder can output Component/Progressive/Scart RGB/Scart S-Video so have had to leave it on Scart RGB.
I have fitted virtually all new cables & wish I had bought rear entry scarts as flat feed thick scarts only just fit (not very well) & will not exit (as none of the cables will!!! the central stand exit-if designed for that purpose?) I had side scarts fitted but as they took the cable to the left they weren't ideal as two of the scart connectors are close together-Scart No1 is the middle of the three as I found out with a torch or you could study the 3 year olds 2'' square as supplied drawing.
Daylight viewing is very impressive. Friends have just bought a Panasonic? Veira? & although I don't think it is set up fully it blows the socks off it.
The ambilight is excellent (from what I have seen) & once my walls are repainted a plain colour (from curry house style wallpaper!) will be even more effective. The extra sreen size of course holds the 60,000 hour lights & act as the speakers. That has a menue sytem of it's own to keep you amused for a few weeks. Am I pleased with the quality for the cost..yes & as in the winter we all tend to watch a lot of television it will make the time until spring more bearable.
A question for those with version 2.1, I had a connector that fits to the DVI but not one that connects that to component leads. Did you get that with the TV or do I need to batter Phillips around the head. Can you purchase such a beast in the shops? Cheers Jimsan for all the previous help on here :thumbsup:

My word Bruce, that's a fair old story!

I too struggled with the scarts and ended up using new flat cable ones from TVCables....(Unreal quality for £5.99!)

The ambilight is brilliant, isn't it? Superb fun...

Anyway, to your last question, yes, the V2.1 does come with the correct adapter, including the component connections, but be warned, it is crummy quality and has the wrong coloured connections! Well done Philips...

Having said that, I use it and it works fine. When you get it connect Red to Red, Green to White and (duh) Blue to Yellow.

You think the picture is good now? Just wait... Component...Progessive Scan...PP2...

Merry Xmas,
Jimmy

Good old Santa brought me the "Philips viewing experience demo DVD" :clap:
It's the one they use at the stores for demoing the 9986 series. It has many clips with stunning quality :thumbsup:
Here's a pic :

Attachments

• DSC00789.jpg
    DSC00789.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 162
Been reading through a lot of the pages and deciding whether to get a Plasma or an LCD... with space being an issue... this Philips LCD is looking promising. However, I have a D-VHS player and a Pioneer 656 player both with component output... would I be able to get away with having a component switcher box for the two, and then use a component lead to connect to the adaptor???

Do you think it will reduce the pic quality in anyway?

I was looking at one from keene.co.uk

"COMPONENT VIDEO SWITCHBOX AVT5842
The AVT5842 is a 4 input by 2 output switcher that can be used to route either YPbPr Progressive Scan Video or YCbCr Component Video, plus Stereo Audio. It has two outputs and the selected input is simultaneously routed to both outputs. Input selection can be made by the front panel push buttons or by the supplied IR Remote Control. "

Thanks in advance for your help...

Hi Matt,

These component feeds will only work if they are carrying Progressive Scan signals. If not then you'll have to use RGB Scarts or if you only have Component outputs then you'll need Component to RGB Scarts.

Jimmy

Mmm... the JVC HM-DH40000U D-VHS is component out or S-Video... Is progressive scan D-VHS/DVD title specific or hardware specific... I could buy a Pioneer DV-575A-S which ive been told is both PAL / NTSC Progressive, will that work??
Thanks!

Progressive Scan is hardwear specific. Currently Progressive Scan is only generated by DVD Players and (rarer) High Definition STB's.

There are a huge number of PS capable DVD players at incredibly low prices...

Jimmy

Cool... ive just seen a Panasonic DVDS97 Multiregion DVD Player for £259 with HDMI and Component... I will get that, then i can see what will be the best and decide about which input to go with on screen in relation to the 1080i JVC D-VHS player.

Thanks for your help... will go and check out the Philips as a screen (as enough peeps seem to like it). Happy New Year!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom