Philips 32PF9986 first few hours!!!

C

CarnalSins

Well, it's been 6 hours since it was delivered to my home!!!! :clap:
I managed to wall mount it without any problems and even had the Philips Ambilight back (the one that u see in the shops) suplied with the TV.
Of cource the first thing I checked was the Software version: 2.1 :thumbsup:
Unfortunately my DVD player isn't anything special so I connected it with a (brand new and extremely good quality) Scart cable.
I didn't had much time to play around with the settings but my first impressions are:
DVD picture is PERFECT!!! I expected it to be great but I never expected to see such a clear picture. The colors are fabulous!!!! The blacks are crystal clear and they are BLACK. I used a couple of movies that I love (and know them like the back of my hand) for testing and I was blown away. I was able to see details I never knew they existed :clap:
TV from an antenna is excellent. I use a new heavy-duty-extra-special antenna (installed last Monday) and all the channels are clear.
AMBILIGHT is brilliant!!! :smashin: I really enjoyed watching either TV or DVD and the ambilight made the experience even better!!!

Anyway I will post some pictures tomorrow (if I'll manage to stay away from the TV).
The only downside of this TV is that it made me feel sad for all those years I used to watch movies on those :censored: CRTs

Enjoy Enjoy. Just wait till you get a ProgScan Player hooked up to the DVI and PP2 all going at the same time!!!! Hang onto your armchair Boyo!

Jimmy

CarnalSins said:
Of cource the first thing I checked was the Software version: 2.1 :thumbsup:

Can I ask where you bought it from? Im after this set myself and im looking for places that have the v2.1 in stock.
Cheers.

I'll jump in here in front of Carnal. Mine was from Empire Direct and was delivered 9 days ago. V2.1. Awsome contraption..

Jimmy

jimsan said:
I'll jump in here in front of Carnal. Mine was from Empire Direct and was delivered 9 days ago. V2.1. Awsome contraption..

Jimmy

Thanks for the info!

Mine is now due on Thursday 23 Dec. (time is tight!) I understand that it comes with all the connections for Component video via Scart.
I have a Liteon DVD recorder LVW 5006 (Progressive Scan) which I intend to connect via Component out using the supplied Phillips 'box of bits' to Scart 1? Once I see what I require using their hodge podge I can purchase some decent connectors, unless anybody knows what I need now? I take it this would be better than Scart 1&2. I take it I wold need the audio lead as well as Component leads & Scart/component adaptor?
Then I will connect Sky decoder via Scart 2? Cinema system using the TV as a centre speaker. I use the cinema for CDs & DVD recorder for DVDs. Time to lie down now just thinking about the connections!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok Bruce, I can see you're getting as excited as I was a couple of weeks ago!

You're not quite right with your thoughts on the connections...I'm at work just now and havn't got the time to go over them with you here. I'll write again in a couple of hours with the gen as to connections. It's not easy, but it's not that difficult either!

Just hang on a wee while...

Jimmy

Ok Bruce,

Right, first of all, the TV comes with an adapter which allows you to connect your Progressive feed via component to the DVI socket via a DVI/VGA/Component adapter. This is really a bit of a balls up by Philips and is really the my only gripe with the TV. It works though.

Here goes then....

Component out from DVD Recorder into DVI/VGA/Component adapter. You will need a component lead for this. You will need to ensure that the Prog Scan is activated on your Player or you will only get a Blue Screen. Connect to DVI socket and select DVI input on the TV. OK?

Scarts. 3 scarts available. 2 x RGB. 1 x Composite.
EXT's 1 & 2 are the RGB ones. Connect your Sky box via a good Scart to Ext 1. (needs to be good, but don't spend silly money - £5.99 Gold Scart from TVCables does OK). Connect your recorder to Ext 2. This of course means that you have the recorder connected twice....3 times if you count the RF.
Ensure output is set to RGB on both Sky box and Recorder. You may have an output conflict on the recorder. It may not output both RGB and component at the same time - you'll soon find out.

Your TV may provide sound from the Scart to complement the Component, but if it doesn't then you will have to provide an audio connection from the Recorder to the TV. However, your home cinema system is more likely to be your sound source when watching DVD's, so hook this up directly to the Recorder via Optical or Digital Coax connections.

Other connections are easy. Playstation/Xbox into Ext 3. You've also got S-Video if you need it.

Play a DVD via Component into the DVI with Progressive Scan on AND Pixel Plus2 and prepare to be dazzled!!!!

Jimmy

Jimsan-Cheers Shipmate. I have enough connectors to get by but I wanted to order some better quality ones over the Net before Christmas. I have just cleared two cabinets out of the Lounge to make a space for the Phillips. At present I have moved the CRT into that space in anticipation & re-routed cables etc. I have moire patterns on that but hope new cabling will sort it (if I can find what cable is causing it!)
I did originally look at the Phillips & was then seduced by a 32 Sharp 3AE that was £700 cheaper. As of course we all now know Sharp ****** that up. The retailers around the Net have been bamboozled by the shambles that Sharp created, still have it shown on their site, no 5E the replacement. So my order would have been filled in Jan 2005 by a lesser model. I 'emailed' sharp, the reply was not coherent & further did not answer my queries as to specifications. So after 2-3 weeks of choosing a LCD TV back to square one.
Hence back to the Phillips, I have been dealing with TV & Video direct & they have been very good indeed (no thanks to Sharp!!). I saw a Phillips in Allders £2999.00, beautiful but funny money. So roll on Thursday.

£2999!!! Hope you havn't paid anything like that! Around about £2000 plus a wee bit...

The Sharp is a good TV, but the picture can be a bit noisy and hasn't got the potential of the Philips.

Jimmy

Hi, I have just Purchased One of these, on the sheet of paper with diagrams of tabletop stand assembly in the top right hand corner, it has 4 symbols, one being a warning sign, then "72H" a clock and diagonally crossd 4 way arrow, with an x over the top, i thought maybe this meant "do not turn on for 72 hours" but this seems rather strange. any ideas? P.S How do you check The software version, and what difference does it make?

OK Rob67,

The diagram means that once you have stuck the feet on you shouldn't slide it about in case its feet come off.

Check the software version by typing in 123654 on the keypad when the TV is on any station. You need V2.1 onwards for the set to be able to handle Component input using the enclosed Adapter. Earlier versions came without the proper adapter and the DVI input could not be used with Component Progressive Scan signals.

Jimmy

No Jimmy, I paid £2030 or thereabouts. The delivery to the IOW was very reasonable. Some quotes from Internet Co. for getting a TV across the Solent were laughable. Even small items with some internet carriers are a no no. Strange as I see virtually all the big carriers thundering up & down our road. Screwfix for example will not send any 'hazardous' items-oil/paint/bitumen etc. or large items such as bench saws. Of course how we manage to buy them is a mystery. Still there are some firms who want your business (£2,500 in this case) & will go the extra mile & others who can whistle!

Have been trying to see a few screens in action but it's hard to find a place that stocks various models let alone see it hooked up properly.

Am planning on seeing the Toshiba 32WL48 but by the sounds of it should look at the 9986 too!

I'm sure it's on here somewhere but can someone re-confirm the panel response time and what it's like with consoles (x-box in my case) as Halo/2 will be played on quite a lot :)

I'm sure it'll be grand with consoles - depends how you hook it up. Panel response time is <12ms.

Jimmy

Thanks for the info jimbo,

xbox will be connected via either rgb scart (probably) or S video (maybe)

not modified so ca'nt do component, ps etc etc.

12ms is about as fast as it get's at the moment isn't it...

I wonder if there are actual limitations to this ,ms stuff?

Can it/will it go lower, 10, 8, 6.......

TV available in US calles Syntax Olevia with Pixel Response of 8ms. (see my thread lower down for full info on this set - it seems amazing)

With everything else hooked up to your TV there is a better than fair chance that your S-Video socket will be spare. It's nicely positioned on the side of the TV for easy access. Better with an RGB (Ext 1 or 2) scart though.

Jimmy

So long as the Phillips has 2 x RGB scarts I would connect my xbox that way.

Out in the town this afternoon so will see what stores have it available.

That Syntax does look impressive on paper.

Not a bad price too!

Hi, I've been reading the forum for some time and used it to help me audition and buy the Philips LCD, so thanks everyone!

The image quality is excellent even though I am only using a fairly cheap sqart for digital broadcast and an RGB feed for DVD ( I plan to upgrade to DVI progressive shortly when I can afford a new DVD player :) )

I only have 3 quibbles:

1. Despite buying from a new stock shipment to John Lewis at the beginning of December I still have the old v1 software so no component to DVI !!!

2. When switching on from standby the picture option seems to default to "Soft" and not the personal setting even when "Personal" was selected prior to switch off.

3. The sound seems very poor especially on Dolby virtual surround - its not really an issue as I play back through a receiver but I can't believe an LCD at this price point can have such bad sound quality - it sounds tinny and boomy to my ears.

Just going to muscle in on this thread :)

Seriously considering the 32PF9986 (although the 37" is also tempting) and I can not believe the dimensions given on the Philips website are correct (ok they are I know) but can anyone just confirm that the 32" panel is overall about 1m wide and how much of that is the actual speakers which I take are non-removable.
I am kinda in shock that the overall dimensions are not that much smaller than a 50" plasma I was going to purchase :eek:

Cheers :)

I popped into Alders today and saw the Phillips, unfortunatley, showing a spilt, crappy ariel feed and on the top shelf (I wonder how many people ask them to get it down so they can have a proper look)

It is huge, considering the screen is only 32". In fact i'd hazzard a guess and say it's the largest LCD/Plasma frame given the screen size of 32".

I'd say the frame easily matches (in overall dimension terms) most 37" frames and runs a few 42" frames close.

One small thing that nags me is that given that there is so much space around the screen, this (imo) creates the impression that the screen is not that big. I much prefer frames that house the actual screen with just minimal borders, say 2" around the edge.

I have, 90% practically given up hope of a 42" screen since i'll be sitting so close to the tv so 32" or 37" (plasma or LCD) it is for me.

37" tellys are not so plentiful though. Man if Sonys latest 37" Plasma had a DVI/HDMI socket i'd be there.

Hope to get a proper look at what the Phillips can do in the next few days/over Xmas.

Yup, the Philips is a big old beast and, no, the speakers cannot be removed as they ARE the TV frame! Weird flat panel speakers that you can't see. They sound OK though.

The size of the frame (Yes, fully 1 metre) does make the picture appear smaller, but activating the Ambilight turns the whole room into the screen! Well, you know what I mean if you've seen it working.

Anyway, at the end of the day, at the time of writing and as far as I'm aware, IT IS THE BEST LCD ON THE MARKET.

Be very aware NOT to buy too big a screen. If you are sitting 3 - 4 metres from the screen then a 32" is perfect. You try looking at at, say, a 37" from 3 metres away and all it'll do is annoy you.

Jimmy

jimsan said:
Yup, the Philips is a big old beast and, no, the speakers cannot be removed as they ARE the TV frame! Weird flat panel speakers that you can't see. They sound OK though.

The size of the frame (Yes, fully 1 metre) does make the picture appear smaller, but activating the Ambilight turns the whole room into the screen! Well, you know what I mean if you've seen it working.

Jimmy

Thanks for that (you too domtheone).
:)

I've no worries about the overall size as it's going to be a display mainly used for home cinema but in 12-18 months it'll be moved to the lounge and used as a general purpose display when the overall size may cause a problem.
Not with me but I don't have much say in the layout of the lounge, mind you it could be hung on the wall thus leaving space for my significant other to creatively fill with god knows what:)

Anyhow I'll do the grand tour of dealers after the holidays and see how the size and it's presence grabs me:)

HI folks,

I received my 32PF9986 from JL yesterday. First thing I did was to check the software and it was 2.1! Thank god for that.

After an evening of fiddling and viewing I have to say I'm really, really impressed. I was expecting the PQ to be worse than my old CRT, but it isn't, it's just great. The blacks are as good as I could wish for and now I've fiddled with the settings a bit, the colours are perfect.

I set up the DVD with the components and the picture is fantastic. I had some interference on the bottom of the screen (flickering horizontal lines on the bottom inch of the screen) when I first tried it but I watced all of LOTR3 last night with no problems. Funnily I prefer the 'Progressive Scan' picture enhancement to PP2, it seems sharper.

The big surprise are the Ambilights though, they really do work. With the lights down low watching a film, you really can tell tell the difference to your comfort with them on. My wife likes them so that relieves even more pressure(!)

There are a few things I haven't worked out yet sorted though.

1. I run my PS2 through S-Video and the only scart that seems to be compatible is EXT2. With my chunky IXOS scart cable in EXT 1, I can't plug anything into the EXT2 socket. The only solution I can see is to get a rear exit scart cable! What a pain.

2. When changing the volume I get no volume OSD. Any idea how you switch this on?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom