1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PF9986 firmware upgrade

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Howbury, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Howbury

Howbury
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 32PF9986 has been away at Philips Flat Panel Services for a simple firmware upgrade (1.3 to 2.1, I hope) for over a month now. The Philips supplier has been unable to supply them with the correct firmware upgrade thus far. Since the TV was not going to be back for Christmas I managed (with help from my supplier, BE-Direct) to get them to loan me an equivalent set - a 32inch plasma (32FD9944) which arrived yesterday. I am hoping that the missing cables and remote control will arrive today otherwise I shall be extremely annoyed having spent out a lot of money not to have the benefit of it over Christmas. I hope to be able to set it up without the benefit of a manual. I'm sure that there must be differences between the 4 SCART sockets! Also as I can't hang the loan set on the wall I have lost the extra floor space I gained which is very annoying with a house-full over Christmas. To cap it all, I now read on the forum that the Component input I will get only takes Progressive Scan so I won't be able to use it as my Panasonic SC-HT520 Home Cinema System outputs PAL Component Video interlaced only so it was a bit of a waste of time especially as when I next upgrade the DVD player I want to go to DVI. :censored:
    If I knew then what I know now..............
    Merry Christmas everyone

2. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    :mad: Howbury, my set has been with them since 16th December :mad:

I did not want to send my set away but for some reason I did anyway, now we are watching a 17" portable whilst we wait for our £3000 set to be returned. :censored: :censored: :censored:

I am so :censored: off about this.

If anyone else has their set away as well, please call Philips Customer Service on 0870 9009070 and complain madly at them. I was told that the upgrade would simply be a flash upgrade, but no, for some reason it needs parts. Philips Flat Panel services do not seem to be at fault here as they are waiting on the parts from Philips!

This service is totally unacceptable!! :mad: :lease:

Ian.

3. Howbury

Howbury
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not keeping your customer informed when things are not going as planned is poor customer service.
    Not offering alternatives when things are not going as planned is poor customer service.
    Sending out unusable systems is poor customer service.

My blood pressure has taken a battering tonight - no cables arrived for the on loan plasma TV so it is back to the 14 inch portable for the Christmas period - what a disaster. The plasma is relegated to the shed.

There will be some serious communications after Christmas - this is completely out of order.

John

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Your retailer should have just exchanged your V1.3 for a new V2.1! Stuff getting the old one upgraded...

Jimmy

5. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Spoke to philips flat panel services yesterday, who have now informed me that the part that they required has now arrived (not sure that I believe them :nono: ). They are now saying that the set is soak testing and that I MAY have the set back next week. For their sakes let's hope so. :mad:

Ian.

6. nrmsmith

nrmsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

We have a 32PF9986 LCD TV - arranged as a new swapout after the one we bought in Apr 2004 was recalled. We got the new set in Aug 2004, and I am puzzled/annoyed to find we have the older FW (1.3) on board.

Can someone explain simply why I might need the latest FW 2.1 so I can decide whether to bother Phillips AGAIN about this purchase. If I did decide to get them to upgrade the FW how would I get the ball rolling?

Cheers
    Nigel

7. Winnie Pooh

Winnie Pooh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you find out the which firmware revision is installed in the Phillips 32PF9986?

What I have gathered from a test report was that they have had an early revision of the firmware in the test model which has had mainly two major problems:

1) Something like whirring pictures especially with rosy colours of faces using digital input of DVD. This has not happened with the analog inputs using DVD.
    2) Problems with the DVI input using PC as input signal. 4:3 format pictures were cut in the middle vertically and switched from left to right and vice versa accordingly. Additionally the picture seemed to be shifted to the lower right which could be corrected with the RC.

Their editor stated that these problems have been caused through an early firmware revision of the test model and a newer model they got hold of has not shown these type of problems due to a later firmware revision. Unfortunately the editor hasn’t stated anything about the firmware revisions of the tested models. Furthermore he said that users which are experiencing these problems are entitled to ask the Philips customer service through their supplier to get a firmware update by sending in the unit which is annoyingly enough if you imagine the price of the device. :thumbsdow

8. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The 2.1 Firmware simply allows you to hook up your DVD player via component leads (using Progressive Scan) to your DVI socket. Without it the DVI only handles PC inputs.

A side effect of this is that the set will be more likely to be HiDef compatable.

Jimmy

9. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Winnie Poo,

Turn TV on - any channel. Punch in 123654 on the keypad. The top line will include the firmware Version.
    Jimmy

10. Winnie Pooh

Winnie Pooh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mean to type in 123456 on the RC after turning on the TV switching into TV mode - right?

I will try this next time when I'm back in one of these electronic superstores comparing the Sharp LC-37GA4E/LC32-32GA4E with the Pillips 37PF9986/32PF9986. Still no decision made which one to buy. :confused:

11. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    WINNIE!!!!!

123654 not 123456

12. Winnie Pooh

Winnie Pooh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ooops!!! Slight difference Jimsan you are right. Reading numbers is not one of my basic skills. :blush:

It seems that your are the unreserved expert for the Philips 32PF9986. :thumbsup: May you could answer me a few questions? As I have already said I’m seriously considering one with 32” or 37” size but I’m still very uncertain if it will satisfy me in a long term sense:

1. Is the Philips LCD-TV really noiseless? Are there any ventilation fans installed in the unit like in the Sharp Aquos series producing fan noise? Any hum from transformers etc. noticeable?
    2. How would you rate the sound quality of the build in flat type speakers covered with the this plastic frame cover? For me this design looks very strange in comparison to conventional loudspeaker design. I have had the chance to hear the Philips mainly with speech at moderate noise levels and it sounded ok - no droning or so.
    3. Have you encountered any problems using the DVI-I input using component, analog or digital signal with DVD or computer?
    4. Have you ever compared the Philips with the Sharp Aquos series? Which analog TV tuner is the better one? Which one has the better picture quality? I have read that Philips is using the same Sharp panel in the 32PF9986 like Sharp is using in the Aquos series GD1/GA3/GA4. Is there a benefit of the Pixel Plus 2 feature in comparison to others?
    5. How would you rate the long term benefit of the Philips Ambilight? Is it a real feature or more a marketing gag?
    6. Is the Philips remote control working together with other non Philips devices? Easylink?
    7. Any real showstoppers included in the Philips?

Thanks for your time Jimsan! :)

13. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Wow Winnie!

Firstly, there are people on this forum who are most probably more knowledgable about this TV than I am. However, when I purchase something, especially something as expensive as this, I research it to rediculous extent. (Anorak Level)

Anyway, I'll answer this test paper as best I can.

1. There are no fans installed (none that I've heard anyway). If you put your head near the back of the TV then you can hear the panel humming quietly. Basically inaudible from any distance greater than a couple of feet. The Ambilight also buzzes slightly, but is also only audible when the volume is off and you really concentrate.

2. The speakers are fine. Not brilliant. It is possible to set the sound up in such a way that, at high volume, you can get the speakers to buzz and distort. There are three surround settings, Graphic Equalizer and a Loudness selection. As long as the Loudness is off and you avoid the 'Incredible Surround' setting, the sound is really quite good. Certainly no significant disadvantage over conventional design.

3. The DVI input has been the subject of much discussion with this TV, as you may have discovered looking back through some of the threads on this forum. Anyway, as we mentioned previously, as long as you have firmware 2.1 onwards, it'll run a multitude of signals. I have it connected to a Progressive player using the component/VGA/DVI adapter and it works beautifully. Others have successfully connected HiDef players directly to the DVI socket and run 720p. I am not as 'up' on it's ability to handle computer connections, although I have heard that unless you run PowerStrip most Graphics Cards struggle to make the TV work very well as a monitor.

4. This is getting more subjective now. I find that the twin terrestrial tuners in the Philips are superb. In some ways the Picture Quality with the RF feed is strangely superior to the feed I get from Sky. This apparently, is the Sharps main downfall. It seems to have a tendancy to make poorer quality signals less watchable than the Philips. I certainly found this when I compared the two side by side at Peter Tysons. I also found that generally speaking PixelPlus2 is currently the most capable of the Digital Processors. As you have mentioned, a lot of these TV's share panels, but I doubt that the Sharp and the Philips are the same as the Philips has a faster response at less than 12ms.

5, The Ambilight is a marketing gizmo. It's also a gizmo that really works. In a darkened room an LCD panel can cause your eyes to strain and squint, Philips obviously thought it would be a good idea to provide a little wall backlighting to help relieve this eye strain. However, rather than just projecting a soft white light onto the walls behind the set they decided to take it a few stages further. The colours projected onto the wall change quickly and unobtrusively and really do what they are designed to do. Brilliant.

6. The Philips remote is a real beauty. It has a big lump of shaped metal as a top surface and could easily be used to defend your house against intruders! It can be tuned in to other devices and, indeed other devices remotes are easily tuned into the 9986. I have Cinemalink hooked up, but have not done anything of note with it yet!

7. The real showstopper with this TV is its Picture Quality. It really does work! Other details are nice too....The beautiful quality glass stand. It comes with a wall mount. It has a row of blue backlit buttons on the top that only light up when you are near the TV. It is now available or less than £2k!

Downsides are few. No backlight brightness adjustment (working on that now). It is a big old thing. One metre wide. Looks great on a big glass stand though.

Hope all this helps.

Jimmy

14. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    jimsan: I have seen Sharp LCD-TVs with Backlight brightness adjustment and it has a real impact on black level. Does Philips 9986 have a backlight adjustment or not? What do you mean when you say "working on that now"?

Thanks!

15. LiquidB

LiquidB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hello

The backlight adjustment is part of the contrast adjustment. Put a black pattern on and decrease the contrast from 100 downwards. You can see the blacks improving.

16. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks LiquidB, but is that really the same thing? Sharp has both contrast and backlight adjustment. I found this on Digital Producers Technology shootout:

17. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Tomas,

The Philips doesn't have a backlight adjustment as such, but I would like to be able to back it off by 20% or so if I could. The black level is excellent anyway, but I would like to try and improve it further by reducing the intensity of the backlight a little. The overall contrast range can handle it.

I have the engineers access code but I am not wanting to fiddle in there just yet. I need to establish if the brightness can be adjusted in there, or if there is another way of adjusting it. Not a major issue with the 9986 though...

Jimmy

18. LiquidB

LiquidB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    It's exactly the same thing. The only difference is that it is in one line. I invite anybody with a technical background (as I am) to confirm my statement. If you turn down the contrast on the philips, the first thing that's been done is reducing the backlight until it's down to it's minimum value. After this the video amplitude starts to go down. You can check with a luminance measurement device, or another easy way to do is to measure the power the TV is using (Lowering the backlight causes the power consumption to go down drastically).

The difference with Sharp is that it is in one line and not two. This is like above quote says to keep the dynamic range as long as possible to the maximum. I guess a lot af people don't know what backlight is, so making it one line gives them always the best blackevel for the amount of light output they wish.

19. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I can't confirm that Philips 9986 work just as you say LiquidB, but I have a new Philips 15" LCD-TV (7846) and it does not.

It quite easy to test, I'll try to explain how: try to find a movie or a show that have black borders (like a 2:35:1 movie, not necessary, but it makes it easier to see) and compress the picture, either vertically or horisontally. My TV is 4:3 so I can compress the picture vertically. Then I get wider black borders that are not part of the original picture.

When I do that and adjust "contrast" (or brightness) the picture within the original 4:3 picture (now compressed to 16:9) change. The black borders outside the movie, but inside the original 4:3 picture turns brighter too. But not outside of the original 4:3 picture, they stay just as black. If backlight would change with contrast, they would change too. So at least on my TV, picture contrast or brightness does not change backlight brightness. But that's my TV!

jimsan: let me know if you find out what "op code" (or whatever) that adjust backlight brightness in the service menu.

20. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Tomas,

Same thing with the 9986. If you arrange the picture in such a way that you have a black band around the image, you can adjust the brightness level of the 'active' area of the screen without it effecting the surrounding band. So I agree with you that the brightness control has no effect on the backlight level. Unfortunately.

I'll get back to you if I find a way of adjusting it.

Jimmy.

21. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Further to the above, I may have to withdraw this last statement. I tried this again, and found that the whole screen did, if fact, change in brightness. Hmmm.

....more research needed!

Jimmy

22. LiquidB

LiquidB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hello
    My statement is not valid for the small screen sizes.
    It is only valid from 30" and above, end then not for the 'low budget' series like the 9946 ones.

23. Howbury

Howbury
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They took my 32PF9986 away 7 weeks ago today for a simple firmware upgrade and I still have no idea when I will get it back. Can you believe it !
    Hmmm............

24. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Howbury,

Yep, I'm still in the same situation! :censored:

Okay the story so far. . . . .

Sent the set to Philips Flat Panel Services about 4 weeks ago, they said that the upgrade would ony take a couple of days. :nono: So the set finally got upgraded, but it then said that it needed an EPROM. So the EPROM got ordered and took another couple of weeks before it arrived. The EPROM was then fitted this week and guess what, it does not work. So we are now waiting until Tuesday when someone from Philips is around. :mad: :mad:

Who did you buy your set from? I bought mine from Comet. Went into Comet yesterday and told them that I want them to sort this out. I will be pushing this week for a replacement set, as I do not feel that this is acceptable. Fortunately, Comet agree with me, so lets see what happens now.

Ian.

25. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well, then I have to say that Sharp have a better solution! It's much better to have control of both contrast and backlight. I'm sorry to say, but Sharp have a "major advantage" over Philips... :(

26. Howbury

Howbury
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian
    I bought mine from BEDirect who are being very helpful - the problem is not of their making and could not have been anticipated. I was planning to sit it out and push for an extension of the warranty and some sort of compensation from Philips but maybe a replacement with a year's warranty might be a better bet. Let me know how you get on.

27. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Howbury,

The problem is BEDirects! They sold you a TV that didn'd work the way it should!!!

I can't believe how patient you guys are. It is BEDirects (and Comets) responsibility entirely. Demand new TV's. NOW! Don't be fobbed off.

Jimmy

28. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Jimsan,

I totally agree. I was willing to give them a chance based on the original quote that it would only take a couple of days. However, this patience has completely run out and this week I do expect to go something arranged. :nono:

Ian.

29. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    So it looks like COMET are taking this quite seriously. Yesterday, COMET stated that if the set is not returned to us by next Wednesday they will arrange for a new screen to be supplied to us. :clap: :smashin: :thumbsup:

Meanwhile COMET are chasing Philips on our behalf. I have now just relaxed about this and I am leaving it up to COMET. If COMET come through on this one then I will be writing some serious letters of gratitude.

Ian.

30. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was on to the Philips service agent yesterday. The guy I spoke to (Charlie) said they had 3 32" sets in for the firmware upgrade. He said that Philips had provided them with the wrong replacement EPROMs but that he was 99.9% sure that the right ones would be in this week. He talked me through the process for upgrading the firmware - apparently not a simple task. The revised EPROM is required to fix a black border at the top and bottom of the screen after the firmware has been upgraded.

Anyhow, the set they have is my Fathers. He's remarkably relaxed about it. If it isn't back by middle of next week I may push him to go for the money back option. After all the price has fallen a lot since his was delivered in November - and he hasn't seen it since 27/11 :rolleyes:

EffTee