1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PF9986 DVI Input?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dmoggie, Jun 21, 2004.

1. dmoggie

dmoggie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

Right, I would like to take advantage of the DVI input but im not sure how!

Could i use a component- VGA or HDMI cable, using the supplied adaptor?

I understand that the firmware needs to be updated so the dvi input can recieve progressive scan signal.

Would doing this allow me to take advantage of a DVD player with progressive scan???

Do any owners use the DVI input? is it worth it?

Please help as I dont really know what im on about :confused:

Im halfway through my install (holes in wall) and before the plaster comes on thursday I would like to have all the necessary cables in place.

2. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I understand, the DVI input can either be used for DVI digital input, or, using the supplied VGA-DVI converter, analogue VGA input. It is rumoured, that sometime in the future, a firmware fix will be available that would allow analogue component to also be fed in via the DVI input. Someone else can answer the options available on the VGA connector.

If you wan't the best possible quality, DVI is subjectively the way to go. To make use of this:

1. You need a DVD player that can output DVI or
    2. You need a DVD player that can output HDMI and use a HDMI-DVI converter.

In both cases, the Phillips must be HDCP compatible (to allow it to play copy protected DVD's ie most) and noone has answered that yet. It would also be beneficial if the screen could take input at the native panel size - this would avoid the need to scale the picture twice. Again, noone has answered this yet. As far as I understand, there are cable length limitations with DVI.

I do not have a Phillips panel and am still choosing what panel to go for. Prior to last week, my requirement was progressive component. Now with a new DVD player/scaler, my requirement is HDMI/DVI, plus for future use, progressive component. So im still looking.

-Ian

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    dmoggie,

If you installed a DVI-I cable in your wall, you could connect a DVD player such as the Momitsu V880 which can output analogue or digital RGB from it's DVI-I output. You could then set a custom resolution of 1280x768 to get a pixel perfect picture on your Philips. :smashin: Hope this helps.

Steve

4. dmoggie

dmoggie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Yeah I think I will install a DVI cable for future proofing.

Cant seem to find many DVD players with DVI output. Have had a look at the momitsu but I would like to have a matching AV reciever.

Do you know of any others?

Thanks guys for putting me in the right direction.

5. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    HDMI and DVI are compatible with an adapter or an HDMI-DVI cable. So, there's a couple of Pioneers, Samsung and a few others but they are few and far between.

6. dmoggie

dmoggie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes ive just found the pioneer.

The Momitsu site list a new model Momitsu V880N. the N stands for network and its wireless b enabled. Could be very interesting.
    Does anyone have this machine?
    whats it like?