1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PF9986 & DVI DVD Player

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by chunkymunky, Oct 26, 2004.

1. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, those of us with this TV have concluded that you cannot connect via component no matter what Philips say in their promotional literature. I have an ongoing issue with Philips Customer Care re: this problem but my complaint is in a queue and won't be dealt with immediately. Sounds like they are just playing for time. I would however be interested to know if anybody has had any success connecting a DVD player that outputs DVI-I to the TV's relevant input. Samsung have a couple of models due out about now for not a lot of pennies and the picture from these machines should be the very best possible. Anybody tried this with either the current Samsung model (935) or even better one of the high end Denon units?

2. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Chunky,

I've never seen an LCD connected to a DVD player by DVI, but you are right that this should give a better picture than the component. Just check that the Philips DVI input says that it is HDCP compliant, or it won't work.

You might also consider the new low end Denon DVD1910, which has DVI out. Petertyson has it for £230.

Cheers, James

3. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks James. I can confirm that the DVI input is HDCP compliant so shouldn't be an issue. I'm looking at the Samsung DVD players as the 945 model also handles DivX and so will play virtually anything. My current Philips DVD player also plays DivX but because you can't use component with this TV I have to use Scart. Picture is not too bad though (still way better than SKY)

4. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'You might also consider the new low end Denon DVD1910, which has DVI out. Petertyson has it for £230.'

Found the DVD player quoted above for £182 from Unbeatable!

5. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, I have successfully connected my Yamakawa 365 via DVI to the unit. Image quality was good. I tried various presets on the DVD unit including 480p 768p 720p and 1080i. A couple of the other presets didn't work, but those listed did. Not all filled the screen - 720 and 1080 did.

It's my Father's TV so I just took the 365 round as an experiment. Watching Chicago at 720p I would not have had any complaints with the picture.

Please don't treat this as absolute gospel as after trying for some time to get the component to work I didn't run through the options on DVI in a particularly methodical way and I was a bit rushed for time.

EffTee