1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PF9986 does it support HDCP?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by chunkymunky, Aug 22, 2004.

1. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great LCD TV except for lack of component inputs and only average quality picture when viewing DVDs through RGB. Have just ordered one of the new Samsung DVD-HD945s which can output via HDMI/DVI and so I am assuming that it will connect directly with the DVI input on my TV. However when looking at the cables section of this forum "Rasczak" has quoted the following "What can potentially make HDMI incompatible is your Screen which needs to support HDCP (if you want to connect to a DVD player) and the resolution being pushed out by the playing device".

Will the Philips set support HDCP or am I about to waste £160?

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Its listed as HDMI compatible so, since HDCP is built in to all the HDMI chipsets that I am aware of, I would guess yes.

BTW. The post recall 9986's have component in via a supplied cable.

3. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep....as mentioned the 32pf9986 definitley has component via the DVI-VGA VGA-COMPONENT cable supplied....on post recall machines, which I have confirmation from Philips, will take advantage of progressive scan too.

Great tv....ordered one and on it's way.

S

4. hogwash

hogwash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    where are people ordering these from plse ... they look fantastic

5. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is a pre-recall set so didn't come with a cable only an adaptor to convert DVI - VGA. To try it out I bought a VGA cable and hooked up my PC to watch a couple of DivX films that I couldn't be bothered to transfer to DVD. No sound of course but the picture was great. The only problem being that it didn't fill the screen and had black bars on each side. The auto-format function, in fact all picture functions were disabled. Is this something to do with the fact that the screen is true 16:9 (WXGA) rather than the normal 15:9 and as such could I get a graphics card that would deal with this?

Also, does anybody know if the same situation will exist when I get my HDMI/DVI DVD player as it is a bit of a pain.

Hogwash, I got my pre-recall TV from Electrical Discount UK and the service was excellent. Looks brilliant on the wall especially with the ambilights on. I also like the fact that it was supplied with both a nice glass desktop stand and a slim wall bracket that keeps the whole thing tight to the wall. Sound is very good also but the standard RGB scart link to DVD isn't great although if you now get this cable then you should be fine.

6. Howbury

Howbury
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am still awaiting my 32PF9986. I am always reading how important it is to get good cables and a new good quality SCART lead is top of my list when I eventually get the TV and know how long it needs to be. I wonder if you are using the supplied cable or have a replacement quality cable and how much difference it actually makes ?

7. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No scart cable supplied with the TV. Initially used a £25 3M cable (can't remember the brand) and on a temporary basis am using a cheapo 5M lead (off ebay) with no change to picture quality (same applies to my SKY+box setup). Now that I know that this set supports HDCP I will connect my Samsung DVD player (which will play DivX and output DVI/HDMI) via a dedicated HDMI to DVI cable which I think cost around £30. The DVD player itself seems a bargain at just £160 and should help the TV reach it's full potential. A lot of debate on this forum about which LCD is best but this one will take a lot of beating!

8. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just spoken to Philips and they will be sending me one of these DVI-VGA VGA-COMPONENT cables that are supplied with all new sets FOC. Has anybody got one of these and is using it? Is it actually a VGA - component cable and a DVI- VGA convertor?

Would I be best cancelling my order for a Samsung HDMI/DVI ouputting DVD player and getting a decent spec unit with component output (and the ability to use progressive scan)?

Would either of these options fully utilise the screen (1366 x 768) or will I always have black bars at each side?

Lots of questions in this post but would really appreciate some answers :lease: before I committ any more cash!!!

9. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you will use the DVI-I input you will have black bars and that's final, sorry. :rolleyes:
    If you want tech details sent me a private message.

10. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks JDL. I've now cancelled my order for the Samsung HD945 and ordered a Philips DVP630 instead with component output, DivX compatability and Prog Scan for just £69.99 (vs. £159.99 for the Samsung). I've also emailed TVcables.co.uk and asked them whether their is any point in using a component to scart lead to link the player to the TV (or would I be better just using a high quality scart?). Will I be able to use the progressive scan functionality with this set-up.

Would anybody have an opinion on this - (component to scart lead)?