1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PF9986 - Component (DVD) -> Scart

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by mikeom1, May 19, 2005.

1. mikeom1

mikeom1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all, long time reader first time poster.

I recently bought the 9986 based on reviews from here and other places. Having read a lot of posts on Component ->VGA->DVI i couldn't quite find my issue so I thought I'd post a new thread.

Basically I have a dvd player (Philips DVP642K) which I picked up on my travels and I wanted to connect it to my 9986. Currently it's running through composite so I thought to myself I have a component to scart lead lying around somewhere (as you do) why don't I use that.

After days of searching I found it, hooked it up. Switch the video output to YPbPr on the dvd player and switch channel to the component scart. However I get a blank screen when I enable progressive scan then it flicks back to progressive scan [off] :rolleyes:

Now it could be a setting in the 9986 (I'm still looking for the manual) or a schoolboy error on my part, but if anyone could point me in the general direction I'd really appreciate it. :)

Cheers in advance
    Mike

Philips DVP642K Spec - PDF

2. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think you can send a progressive scan through the scart input of the television.

3. mikeom1

mikeom1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Llanowar for the quick reply... I thought that might be the case.

So my next question would be...

I was looking at getting a Samsung DVD-HD945 as a replacement and shift the DVP642K upstairs.

Now the DVD-HD945 has a HDMI output, and the TV has a DVI-I input I believe. However all the cables I have found so far are HDMI to DVI-D, would that be cool?

Many thanks again,
    Mike

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yup, that would be fine.

Jimmy

5. mikeom1

mikeom1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Superb! I'll put in the order now...

Appreciate the quick responses, cheers both of you :D

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Could save yourself a wee bit of trouble, and money, by buying yourself a component lead and using the Component/DVI adapter. This would provide 576p progressive input which is absolutely stunning.

I've gone this way and am putting off buying a digital DVD player until the HD-DVD players are available. (Soon)

I cannot imagine how the picture is going to get any better than this 576p input. It will, of course, but it's just hard to imagine! Having said that, if you bung a decent Sky channel onto dual screen it reduces the size of the picture, but keeps it at full resolution. This gives you some idea of what HiDef will look like if you can imagine what a full screen at this quality would look like! WOW!

I'm rambling.....Ta Ta.

Jimmy

7. mikeom1

mikeom1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that Jimmy, the place I order from are out of stock so I can cancel the order. :thumbsup:

Does anyone know where I can get a half decent Component ->DVI adaptor?

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    It should have come in the box with the TV. If you didn't get one, it may be that you have an early version 9986 that will not accept component input. You need firmware V2 or later. There are quite a few posts that tell you how to check your version. I know you say that you have recently purchased the 9986, but it is ominous that there was no component adaptor in the box.

-Ian

9. mikeom1

mikeom1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha I did find it eventually hidden with some other cables, however I now have the task of looking for the vga to dvi adaptor.

I remember I did try to hook it up in a similar fashion early on but got some kind of purple screen, which I read about in some other threads.

Plus are box standard cables decent enough to use? or would well known brands make a difference in this case?

10. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The DVI/VGA adapter is in the box too!!!! Look, it's slipped down between the packaging...in amongst those bits of polythene....

The standard cables are OK.

Jimmy