1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PF9986 Centre Speaker connection

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Anewbie, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Anewbie

Anewbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK,

I've just my received this very very good TV. At the moment I have it rigged up through a receiver and the Mission Cinema7 speaker package. The centre speaker is huge and has to sit in front of the TV hiding the TV stand a looking pretty naff really.

I wanted to try the "Centre Speaker In" connection on the TV but I notice it's a RCA type. Does anybody know if this connection requires a pre-out on my receiver? I can;t find any info on it in the manual. Of course my receiver (Denon AVR-1604) only has powered output to the centre channel. Also do you know if speaker cable to RCA adapters are available?

Cheers.

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'll be interested in the answer to this one too Newbie!

I suspect that this may use the TV's own amp, so will be signal strength only. I've just thought of an experement to try this out.....hang on till I try something...

Jimmy

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    OK!

It is a line input, so your centre speaker amplified signal would have probably damaged the TV!

I have a Denon cinema system and it hasn't got a line level centre output either, so that's that.

However, it is quite likely that using the TV as centre may adversly effect the quality and balance of your sound system anyway. You may be better to stick with the Mission centre and try to position it better. Bigger stand with the speaker on the top shelf? I've just changed my stand for a nice biggie and it has allowed me to remove the speaker from directly in front of the TV. Much nicer.

Jimmy

4. Anewbie

Anewbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that Jimsan, I thought that might be the case.

I won't be buying a new TV stand (just bought one) so I'll be looking into to changing the centre speaker for something a little smaller (not sure if I can keep the sound quality though...).

Anybody any suggestions for good quality 'Compact' centre speakers?

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Probably best divert yourself off to the Speakers Bit of the forum...

Jimmy