Philips 32PF9986 buzz - how bad is it?

MeloManiac

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi! I found this forum and have been reading all I can here about the 9986, because I am seriously considering getting one. However some of the issues presented here makes me a bit reluctant.

1) Especially the "contrast buzz problem" - how bad is it and does everybody have it? I currently have a 100HZ Sony WEGA CRT TV which always emits a buzz, which I have gotten used to. Is it on par with the level of noise from a 100HZ TV (just about all 100HZ TV's seem to emit this).

2) My plan is to order from a German company which orders the TV at Philips after they have received the order from me. This means I SHOULD get a version with 2.1 firmware, right??

3) Also, I would like to connect both my PC and a DVD player using progressive scan output. I know the 9986 only has DVI input, but seeing that you need to use the component-to-VGA and VGA-to-DVI converters to connect your DVD player, I guess I could just add a VGA switch to the setup, and plugin both the DVD player and the PC there?

4) This one might be impossible for anyone to answer, but I live in Denmark and I've been to Philips' site, where you can locate local service centres, and there seem to be none in Denmark that can service the 9986?! This seems really odd. I am mainly interested in this in case it comes with a problem or a wrong firmware right from the beginning, so I wouldn't need to ship it back to Germany.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

during the day i dont notice the buz but thats because other noises drown it out. when its quiet at night i can hear it from 4meters away easily when muted and if i listen with volume about 1/3 of the way up...they are not all like it but i have had 2 which are!

Hmm bummer. It seems like a gamble to order a 9986 -- will you get one that buzzes? Will you get revision 2.1.. eek. but I am probably gonna go ahead and pray.

Can only hear a "buzz" when I am literally inches from the top vents.
I certainly wouldn't accept a TV that is as loud as some people are reporting.

MeloManiac,

I think it very unlikely that you'll get a v1.3 now. They stopped making them in September 04.

The buzz is extremely variable. Mine is virtually silent, as I suspect most are. However there are obviously quite a few 'buzzers' out there, unfortunately. It is worth the risk.

Jimmy

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom