1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PF9986: best way to connect

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Diving Bear, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Diving Bear

Diving Bear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just taken delivery of my Philips 32PF9986 :thumbsup:
    Very happy so far and a big thanks to all those who have posted their picture settings: it has made life much easier.

I have on order a Sony RDRGX300 DVD Recorder.

I want to wall mount the Philips and need to keep the cables running from it to a minimum. At present I have connected the Sky+ box via a scart to the tv so that with the power lead this makes 2 cables.

Should I be using a scart to connect the Sky+ to the Philips?

I am thinking of adding a Yamaha DSP AX750se amp and speakers to make a complete system. Should I use the video up converter from the Yamaha to keep the cabling to a minimum or will I loose picture quality to an unacceptable extent?

I can't channel the cables.

Many thanks

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cables Cables....

This is difficult. The very best input to the TV is the Component/DVI adapter. This is the best way to hook up your DVD player. I take it it is a Progressive player..I would say this is a must if you are going to get the best from the TV.

If you can channel everything else through the Yam then you may get away with just a good scart from it to the TV - using the Yam as a switcher. The DVI input on the TV only accepts Progressive Scan, so that can't be run from the Yam, unless it can upconvert everything to 576p or greater.

So, either Power Cable/Component/Scart or (if the Yamaha upscales to Progressive) just Power Cable and Component. I can't see that working somehow....

Jimmy

3. Diving Bear

Diving Bear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It says in the specs it is has "Precision Cinema Progressive" does make it a 'progressive player'?

4. Diving Bear

Diving Bear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just found on another thread that the Sony has "has progressive scan output". Hope that means I haven't ordered a dud!!
    Can I connect the Sky+ to the TV using the Component/DVI adapter? While I want to keep the cabling to a minium ( to keep Mrs Bear happy) I don't want to have spent a fortune on the Philips and then comprimise with a poor picture.
    Many thanks

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've tried to find out if the Yamaha outputs its Component Progressively and I don't think it will. It's hard to imagine it upconverting everything to Progressive.

So, I feel you'll have to hook the DVD Recorder up to the DVI adapter via its component output. and the Yamaha to the TV via Ext1. This'll give you the very best picture from your DVD source and everything else in RGB through the scart. Only three cables then. But what about the RF ariel? You really should have this in too! The TV has an amazing double terrestrial tuner which could be handy if you are watching something and recording something else. Good for the PiP too...

Thats 4 cables...hide them behind a small rectangular section plastic conduit, or a wee wooden boxed in section.

Jimmy

6. Diving Bear

Diving Bear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks. I will run this past mrs Bear. What speakers do you think I should put in with this package???

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    A bit out of my field of expertise now. Go to the speakers forum, let them know what reciever your using, room size and layout, budget and anything else that might be of consequence - Wooden Finish, Floor Standers or bookshelf etc etc.

Jimmy