1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PF9986 as centre speaker

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Diamara, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Diamara

Diamara
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone tried this? I was hoping to buy a set of Mordaunt-Short Genies, using the TV as centre speaker and the 'spare' genie as a centre-rear.

The 9986's NXT speakers seem adequate for dialogue so I'm quite hopeful. A couple of questions though:

Having never really understood impedance, am I likely to run into to problems connecting my receiver to the mixture of speaker type? Should I use my amp's 8ohm or 4ohm setting?

2. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use this feature, but I use it as a supplement to my centre speaker, not a replacement.

1st problem - the sound is quite light and the volume needs boosting to equal teh levels you will get from any speaker package. The result of this is that the speakers will hiss a fair bit when in centre speaker mode even when the volume on your amp is muted - somebody put a techy explanation in an earlier thread as to why this happens. But it is not pleasant.

2nd problem - you will need to route sound into the TV via SCART or whatever then out again via 2 RCA to your amp - then back via the centre speaker link otherwise you will get lip-sync issues.

3rd problem - to do all this your amp will need pre-outs - one of these is usually what you connect your subwoofer to. So you connect a single RCA cable to the centre pre-out. Because you are using the pre-outs then impedance etc has nothing to do with it. But I wouldn't connect the TV's centre input direct to your speaker output - might fry something in the TV.

Alan

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, Alans got this covered...I just wouldn't do this at all. You need a line level input to the TV, which is quite rare on modern Recievers, and then you end up with a mismatched front speaker grouping which will no doubt spoil the perfect balance the Genies would normally have....You'd be better using an accessory speaker for the rear effect as the mismatch will be less obvious for this...

Jimmy

4. Camillo

Camillo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You are right that the input is very noisy. I managed to solve this in my setup by setting the center channel volume to -10. Problem is, then I can't hear a thing. Fortunately my amp has the ability to adjust the level of the individual channels, so I pulled that center one one up to about +8 dB. As a result, the noise of the center channel is virtually gone.
    Unfortunately that's not an option for me, as the sound goes via digital (s/pdif) to my amp.