Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Philips 32PF9986 and borders

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by CarnalSins, Dec 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. CarnalSins

CarnalSins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Today I had the chance to test my new 32pf9986 with a Denon 1910.
    The results were auful :eek:
    The image had grain :mad: and there were borders around the picture in every format (720p, 1080i, etc.)
    Thankfully I had the option not to buy the Denon since the guy who ordered it is my friend. But I'm beginning to think that I should consider returning the 9986 too if it's going to give me borders with any DVD player (at least that's what I was told).
    So I would like to hear from other 9986 owners if they have those borders or not. As my friend said "You're buying a 32" and it acts like a 30"!!"
    Any help would be appreciated :hiya:

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Are there seriously no zoom modes with this set?

3. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As someone who has a DVD-1910 connected via DVI to a 37PF9986, I think your demo may not have been as good as it should have, and sounds like it gave you a false impression of this TV. First of all the ONLY setting which gives an immovable border is 720p - and this is because the TV is giving an "unscaled" (pixel match if you like) image of 1280x720 pixels, which on a 1366x768 panel will give a border around it. Any LCD panel of 1366x768 which doesn't give a border at 720p must be "scaling" the image. Secondly, and this is important to note, when switching between resolutions on the DVI input there can sometimes be a picture offset - this can quickly be removed and the picture centred (and hence borders removed) by using the Philips remote cursor arrows left/right. Result? No borders with 576p or 1080i. I have not noticed any excessive grain in the images (but the quality of DVDs varies greatly as does the quality of DVI cables). I have been happily using the Philips/Denon combination with a 2metre Supra cable for some weeks now.

As regards the second point about "zoom" modes - any zoom modes (on a TV or DVD player would cause noticable image degrading.

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Noticable under very very close inspection maybe, but better than a border. I zoom 720p to 1366x768 on my Xelos and I prefer that to 1080i scaled down. But having spent ££££ on a DVD player with scaler, I would prefer to scale only the once. But that is a restrictoion of my DVD player.