Philips 32PF9986 and borders

C

CarnalSins

Today I had the chance to test my new 32pf9986 with a Denon 1910.
The results were auful :eek:
The image had grain :mad: and there were borders around the picture in every format (720p, 1080i, etc.)
Thankfully I had the option not to buy the Denon since the guy who ordered it is my friend. But I'm beginning to think that I should consider returning the 9986 too if it's going to give me borders with any DVD player (at least that's what I was told).
So I would like to hear from other 9986 owners if they have those borders or not. As my friend said "You're buying a 32" and it acts like a 30"!!"
Any help would be appreciated :hiya:

As someone who has a DVD-1910 connected via DVI to a 37PF9986, I think your demo may not have been as good as it should have, and sounds like it gave you a false impression of this TV. First of all the ONLY setting which gives an immovable border is 720p - and this is because the TV is giving an "unscaled" (pixel match if you like) image of 1280x720 pixels, which on a 1366x768 panel will give a border around it. Any LCD panel of 1366x768 which doesn't give a border at 720p must be "scaling" the image. Secondly, and this is important to note, when switching between resolutions on the DVI input there can sometimes be a picture offset - this can quickly be removed and the picture centred (and hence borders removed) by using the Philips remote cursor arrows left/right. Result? No borders with 576p or 1080i. I have not noticed any excessive grain in the images (but the quality of DVDs varies greatly as does the quality of DVI cables). I have been happily using the Philips/Denon combination with a 2metre Supra cable for some weeks now.

As regards the second point about "zoom" modes - any zoom modes (on a TV or DVD player would cause noticable image degrading.

Alan D said:
As regards the second point about "zoom" modes - any zoom modes (on a TV or DVD player would cause noticable image degrading.
Noticable under very very close inspection maybe, but better than a border. I zoom 720p to 1366x768 on my Xelos and I prefer that to 1080i scaled down. But having spent ££££ on a DVD player with scaler, I would prefer to scale only the once. But that is a restrictoion of my DVD player.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom