1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PF9986 Ambilight hizz

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by year_77, Dec 6, 2004.

1. year_77

year_77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When swithing on Ambilight on my Philips 32PF9986 the lights gives a very annoying "hizz" sound which makes it unusable to me. I have read a couple of other posts on the Internet about this, but very few concidering the people who have this TV.

So please could all the users who are experiencing this post it here.

I want to know if its something that is occuring on only some models or all. If I can replace my TV to fix it this would be nice to know.

This sound is of a very high (or low?) frequency that I guess not all people are capable of hearing. Its the same noice you sometimes get from some lamps with dimmers on them. To me it makes Ambilight unusable, so its a definitive show-stopper. :mad:

2. RAVNUT

RAVNUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, My set does the same.

It's a strange noise, The sort that sometimes you won't notice.
    Does ambilight uses fluorescent tubes because the noise sounds like one of those on the way out to me?

It's still a great TV but I also would like to know if this occurs on every single 9986?

Any chance of an answer from Philips?

3. year_77

year_77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got an email from Philips support today:

"Ambilight causes some sound. Its hard to say through e-mail if your TV has a sound which is not normal. We recommend you contact your dealer to check it out."

I did check out other Ambilight TVs at two different electronic-shops yesterday, and they both had the sound as well, so I am now sure this is how they just are. I guess my ears are more sensitive than others at this forum, because it really bothers me. I hear it all the time when the light is on. :thumbsdow:

4. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I must be very hard of hearing then.

The only noise I can detect is probably quieter than the typical scanning noise you get with a CRT TV.

And that's with my ear right next to the light. At normal viewing distance I cannot hear any untoward noise.