1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PF9986 / 37PF9986 Sound

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by rileyj, Jan 21, 2005.

1. rileyj

rileyj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading a few of the threads on here I'm now on the verge of taking the plunge for one of these However, I haven't seen much written about the TV's sound.

As Philips took the brave step of becoming the first manufacturer to integrate NXT's SurfaceSound I'm a little surprised by the silence regarding such an innovation.

I also notice that the set has a subwoofer out. Should I infer from this that the set is somewhat lacking in the bass department?

Any views?

2. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    ive only seen one running for half an hour, all i can say speakers are ok and nowt special. you would be best of saving for proper speakers

3. Ricardfred

Ricardfred
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the 37pf9986. Picture is the most stunning I have ever seen. Sound is only ok though. You can choose various pre set settings. At normal listening levels, its good, but if you crank it up any bit, it distorts badly. I found the "movie mode" to give the least distortion. The virtual dolby etc modes are a waste of time I feel as I dont notice any difference. Overall, for normal tv viewing the sound is fine but for watching movies I think I will invest in a surround sound speaker package, such as the Acoustic Energy Aego P5 mark 2.

4. Hunterm8

Hunterm8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After all the reviews saying the sound was poor i was pleasently surprised and for normal telly viewing it is more than ample obviously if you are into films you will have a surround amp and external speakers, but that is the same with any tv.

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ditto to the above. The new speaker technology is very clever, but does not do anything special. Sound is perfectly adequate - quite nicely detailed. You must not, however have the Loudness on and, as mentioned above, the effect modes are a waste of time. Hook up an active sub if you don't want to go for a cinema system.

Jimmy

6. rileyj

rileyj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.