1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PF9986/12 Replacement Finally

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Winnie Pooh, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Winnie Pooh

Winnie Pooh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally I have got a replacement for the contrast and Ambilight buzzer. These are the obvious facts:

ROM version: Jan_18_2005_TX21EU-2.3_08781
    Fbx version: 310431707610 same version as the old one
    SW version EPLD: 310431707860 same version as the old one
    Production batch: 1H0508 indicates week 8 2005

The only differences I have found up to now between ROM version 2.1 and 2.3 remembering version 2.1 are:
    1. The buttons of the on-screen menus seem to be a little bit faster now
    2. Video text does not zoom over the whole screen now. There is a black vertical bar on the left and right side of approx. 3” left black. The contrast is set to a dark level which is audible.

The maintenance menu shows repeatedly the following error despite of resetting the error buffer. This has not happened with the old one.
    Errors: 003 000 000 000 000
    Defective Module: Feature Box
    Does anyone know what that means?

Further info from the maintenance menu:
    Screen: 32inch LCD Sharp

Now back to the major question: What happened with the contrast and Ambilight buzzing? Well something but it is not 100% vanished.
    Contrast 100 – 97 ok
    Contrast 96 – 78 slight dark buzzing
    Contrast 77 – 74 slight lighter buzzing
    Contrast 73 – 0 slight dark buzzing
    Audible? Yes directly in front of the LCDTV and listening behind the back. The contrast buzzing is audible below 97 in 10f distance due to wall reflections of the buzzing noise. The Ambilight still buzzes slightly and can be clearly heard near the LCDTV but can be hardly heard in a distance of 10f.

The buzzing of the old one got louder during operation and was considerably louder than the new one but the new one is still not buzzing free. :rolleyes:

The picture quality of the new one seems to be not on the same level like the old one. The overall picture looks brighter. The magic Luma gain switch setting from 1 to 0 has no considerable effect compared to the old one regarding the backlight. Setting it to 2 increases the backlight. Black seems to be not as black as with the old one. :eek:

The TV quality seems to be a bit lower with the new one in comparison with the old one. The impression is very similar viewing DVD through DVI-D. The picture quality is not better or equal. It seems to be not on the same level. Not as good as the old one. For me it is very hard to describe but I think it has something to do with the contrast black level adjustment. Black looks a little bit brighter now. :(

Should I be satisfied with the replacement now? Tell me!

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The error message is common...I have no idea either, but nothing to worry about. PQ will improve aver the next week or so, so don't panic. Black level may also improve as the screen settles. Contrast and Ambilight noise sounds normal - nobody has a totally silent one!

Mine has the LG/Philips panel, so I am hoping your Sharp panel is as good - should be. My advice is to wait and watch, if no improvement over the next few days, then.....well....wait for another replacement? Toughie..

Jimmy

3. Hunterm8

Hunterm8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    funny that i had a replacement and thought maybe that black wasnt so black as my last one. its ok in the day but not so good with low light in the evening as my old one. My new one too is a sharp lcd in the menu never looked what my old one was though.

4. Barrovian

Barrovian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Second star to the right and straight on 'till mor
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hunterm8,
    Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but, are you happier with your set now? Does the replacement buzz? I ask, as mine is being replaced by JL tomorrow because of the buzz and a flickering picture on all sources.

5. Hunterm8

Hunterm8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Affraid it does still buzz i even sent it to philips to be repaired and just got it back with nothing done as they said they put it on a test bed and couldnt find a problem!! not that buzzing would show up on a test bed!! divvys if you ask me! i just decided to put up with it and enjoy what is otherwise a fine tv.

6. Barrovian

Barrovian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Second star to the right and straight on 'till mor
    Ratings:
    +54
    :( That's a shame. I was hoping you'd tell me it was sorted. I'm afraid if the replacement buzzes, then it's refund time for me. It's a fine TV, but the noise is a serious flaw IMO.
    Cheers anyway,
    John

7. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds like an improvement.
    Anyone knows if it is possible to flash new firmware versions?