1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PF9976

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by fraggenstein, Dec 8, 2004.

1. fraggenstein

fraggenstein

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've been very tempted by the low price of the Philips 32PF9976 but have a few questions I would like definitively answered.

1. Does this screen support progressive scan or not? I've had conflicting information on this from reading the various posts. Would an owner of the set like to comment on whether it supports p/scan? If so what connections were used to achieve this - I've heard you have to use the DVI input with a converter - is this how you do it?
    2. Reliability / quirks - anyone had any problems with this set?

I'll be using it mainly to watch Sky+, DVDs and to play XBox / PS2 games. Any opinions from owners on any of these uses with this particular set would be much appreciated.

Cheers

2. axc

axc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, it definitely supports pscan through the DVI input. The only pscan setup I've actually tested is a PS2 connected to the TV through the DVI connector using the complicated ringmarole of Sony component cable -> Philips-supplied component-to-VGA cable -> Philips-supplied VGA-DVI-i adaptor. Whew. But it did report taking in 480p input, which is the best the PS2 can do. I was not all that impressed with pscan output from the PS2 compared with S-video, and getting the console to output pscan is also complicated, so I don't think it's actually worth it in this particular case.

The manual clearly states that the set is able to accept pscan input up to 720p / 1080i through the DVI. The best connections to that DVI are going to be from DVI or HDMI-equipped sources, but clearly you can input component as well, using the same connection scheme as described for the PS2. Lots of people are anticipating the release of Philips' DVP900sa DVD player, which as an HDMI ouput, as do several other DVD players now.

Otherwise, I can't assess reliability since I've only had this set for about a month, but overall I am very pleased with it. It has great PQ from the different sources I've tried so far (cable, PS2, and old VCR and the belgian equivalent of Sky+), lots of inputs, is suitably understated in its design and is comparatively good value compared to other LCD screens I've looked at. The only quirk I can think of is the bizarre omission of an on-screen volume indicator in the default OSD. So to get visual feedback on volume changes, you have to live with a permanent channel number in the upper left corner of the display. You can remove that by changing OSD options, but then you also lose the visual volume feedback. One truly wonders how anyone could ever come up with such a stupid design, but it really is just a minor limitation in an overall very friendly user interface.

--axc

3. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi Axe

Is the DVI input HDCP compliant as sky HD feeds will only play on HDCP compliant Tvs?

Also on the 9975 on dark scenes there was bleeding of the back light causes light patches on the screen- does this screen have the same problems?

Does philips supply a component to scart convertor with the TV

Thanks

Azz

4. axc

axc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Azz

Not 100% sure about HDCP compliance, but I've read elsewhere on this forum that it's indeed compliant.

Apparently PQ on 76 is far better than on the 75, but since I haven't seen the 75 I can't comment from experience.

Philips supplies a component to VGA to DVI cable. I don't think component to scart direct is possible.

axc

5. fraggenstein

fraggenstein

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Cheers guys although fate it seems has dealt me a cruel blow - my car has just needed an £800 repair so the TV is going to have to wait a few more months..... :rolleyes:

6. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks Axe, but what about ANY back light seepage in dark scenes?

Azz

7. axc

axc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure what you mean exactly. As for all LCDs, blacks are not as black as what can be achieved with a CRT. I do think the blacks on this set are a bit better than on other sets I've seen, and at any rate, subjectively, they look great. When completely black, the screen appears uniformly bluish (very) dark grey; i.e. I don't see patches of different brightness, but a uniform field.

--axc