1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32pf9976

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by The Pagey, Nov 27, 2004.

1. The Pagey

The Pagey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, new at this so bare with me. I have been looking around for a 32" lcd and I finally settled for the sharp 32ga3e however as you are all aware there aren't any available.
    Now I find my self looking at the philips 32pf9976 but am getting conflicting information on what features it actually has. Philips website is so contradictory, one minute it's got progressive scan then in the next section it hasn't, it has dvi input which i want so I can hook up my Mac but it says it has HDMI input? Does this just mean the dvi is compatible with HDMI? All I want is a nice looking set with good pic quality with a dvi input (to hook up a dvi equiped dvd and my mac) and the golden question as future proof as possible with the advent of HDTV. I want any set I buy now to last atleast 5yrs.
    Any one got this set and if it would be a viable contender now the sharp is out of the question? i saw it in JL it the pic looked good.
    Sorry if to many questions but i am desperate to get a set before xmas.
    :thumbsup:

2. LiquidB

LiquidB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi there. Let me help you out.
    This particular TV has 3 scart inputs, of which 2 support RGB. It has a DVI-I input, so it supports analogue and digital signals (YPbPr and RGBHV). The supported formats are: 480p, 576p, 1080i50/60, 1152i and 720p50/60. It also features a side input which as a cbvs input (composite) and a YC input. one of the scarts also supports YC (scart2). I've seen it stand next to the Sharp, was able to tweek the settings on both and came to the conclusion that the Philips is way better than the Sharp on Picture quality, mainly thanks to pixel plus. Forget about progressive scan. all LCD's are progressive scan. There's no such thing as an interlaced LCD. On the Philips, there is a line called 'progrssice scan' in the digital options, but that's a fallback option in case you're having problems with the pixelplus (can happen , who knows). About the HDMI, you might have gotten confused since you may have read a spec of a US version of this set. It definitely has DVI in Europe.
    The set comes with a kind of glass foor and a wall support bracket. It looks realy nice.
    Hope this helps.

3. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For reference -
    32PF9976 is Pixel Plus
    32PF9986 is Pixel Plus 2 and Ambilight
    (Pixel Plus 2 is a definite improvement over the original)

4. The Pagey

The Pagey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Guys, I might try JL with a pricematch as I have seen it for around £1469. Liquid B from those specs you have quoted it supports the potential HDTV formats (720p and 1080i), do you know if the set is hdcp comliant as I can't find it stated anywere. Also the HDMI thing is still a weird one because on Philips UK site it states it has HDMI connectivity but on the specs it has a DVI port? Strange but as long as it's compatible I'm not too bothered. Thanks for the help

5. LiquidB

LiquidB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    It's HDCP compliant, no probs there

6. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HDMI and DVI are compatible so you can go from one to another with a cable or adaptor. The Philips TVs have DVI inputs.

7. The Pagey

The Pagey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, makes me more confident now. Fingers crossed for JL!