Philips 32PF9976 Questions

T

tarz4n

Hello!

Im new here, and im realy close at buying the 32PF9976. I've been around plasma's, backproj. LCD's and now pure LCD.

The choice so far has been 32PF9976 because of DVI input (Sony dont have that here in Europe) and ofcause the looks of the 9976 - very beautiful. The 9986 is a bit expensive here.. so 9976 is good enough, then it would be nice.

I have a few questions, and i hope you can answer some of them:

1. Would i be able to get progressive scan through the DVI input? i know that this needs a Component Video converter, but im more interested to know, if the DVI input can handle this.

2. How does the remote look? Handles? If anyone could, please paste a shot of it..

3. ..am i doing the right choice in this LCD? The LCD will be hooked up to a HTPC with Microsoft Media Center, and will also use this for playing dvd (will this work with progressive scan?) Ill also wil be using the LCD for browsing, some gaming etc etc

Thanx in advance, and thanx for this great forum! :thumbsup:

Henrik Rask, Denmark

tarz4n said:
Hello!

Im new here, and im realy close at buying the 32PF9976. I've been around plasma's, backproj. LCD's and now pure LCD.

The choice so far has been 32PF9976 because of DVI input (Sony dont have that here in Europe) and ofcause the looks of the 9976 - very beautiful. The 9986 is a bit expensive here.. so 9976 is good enough, then it would be nice.

I have a few questions, and i hope you can answer some of them:

1. Would i be able to get progressive scan through the DVI input? i know that this needs a Component Video converter, but im more interested to know, if the DVI input can handle this.

2. How does the remote look? Handles? If anyone could, please paste a shot of it..

3. ..am i doing the right choice in this LCD? The LCD will be hooked up to a HTPC with Microsoft Media Center, and will also use this for playing dvd (will this work with progressive scan?) Ill also wil be using the LCD for browsing, some gaming etc etc

Thanx in advance, and thanx for this great forum! :thumbsup:

Henrik Rask, Denmark
I can help you with some of this Henrik.

Q1. The DVI does carry Progressive Scan through a Component/VGA/DVI adapter.

Q2. Don't know what the remote looks like. The 9986's is a beauty though. I hope its the same with the 9976.

Q3. This is trickier. There is a thread running here somewhere talking about the ins and outs of connecting a PC to the 9986. In theory it should work well and seems to handle a 720p input with a PC resolution of 1280:720. This leaves an 8mm dark border right around the display and getting rid of this seems to be the problem.

The 9976 is a good looker alright and will perform quite similarly to the 9986 which is the one all the rest are trying to catch..

Jimmy

Alan, are you fluent in Polish? Is it Polish? I had a look at the site you got this picture from and couldn't make head nor tail of it!

Jimmy

tarz4n said:
The DVD-I port handles DVD-D and an analogue mix. As Jimmy says, for analogue, there is a pile of cables that should allow use of component. On the DVI-Digital side of things, progressive is available direct from a suitable digital source. Infact, a SD interlaced digital output is quite uncommon.

-Ian

The LCD that seems to work best for HTPC is one from the Sharp "G" range. People on here have got it working fine at full res. As Jimmy says the Phillips seem to have a few problems, do a search on here and you will see. In my opinion the PQ is just as good on the Sharp.

Hi Jimmy - I just did an image search for the remote [RC4301] - I didn't look at the rest of the site!!
It's the same as the one for the 9986 [RC4302] but doesn't have the Ambilight buttons.

Thanx for all your help - but you just made me do some second thought (i was THIS close ordering the Philips, now i dont know..)

jimg said:
The LCD that seems to work best for HTPC is one from the Sharp "G" range. People on here have got it working fine at full res. As Jimmy says the Phillips seem to have a few problems, do a search on here and you will see. In my opinion the PQ is just as good on the Sharp.

Mkay.. Will the "G" range make the PC image 100% fullscreen ?? I see there are alot of Sharps.. LC-32 GA3, LC-32 GA4, LC-32 GA5, LC-32 GD1E .. what should i choose?

Hmm, i actually like models with the speakers on the bottom.. are those models also good quality? Can i take the speakers off if i want? Can it be used as a centerspeaker in my 5.1 setup ?

tarz4n said:
Mkay.. Will the "G" range make the PC image 100% fullscreen ?? I see there are alot of Sharps.. LC-32 GA3, LC-32 GA4, LC-32 GA5, LC-32 GD1E .. what should i choose?

Yes, using Powerstrip or other driver tools, a res of 1368x768 can be got apparently. You need to use 1368 because the Sharps native screen res is 1366 and is not divisible by 8 meaning the graphics card cannot output this res. This way you only lose 2 pixels at either side. The other way is to set it at 1360x768 meaning you get 2 thin black lines at either side.

When it comes to choosing a Sharp, it gets easier ! The GA models are those with an Analogue tv receiver and the GD has a Digital tv receiver. All but the GA5 have got DVI-I and detachable speakers....the lack of DVI-I on the GA5 means it renders it useless in connecting it to a HTPC (Unless you start making your own VGA to SCART cable).

If you don't need a digital receiver (I'm guessing you can put one in the HTPC anyway), then the 2 which are left are the GA3 and GA4. Both come in 26", 32" and 37" and the only difference between them is the speaker position. GA3 has the speaker underneath the TV, the GA4 at the sides. As I said, they both have detachable speakers anyway if you wish to take them off.

Both models in the UK are completely sold out due to the popularity and Sharp not making any more. I think I'm right by saying they are easier to find elsewhere in the continent though.

Quite a few people have the GA3/4, GD1E models on the board and are very happy with them. I know I am !

Hope this helps,

Richie.

tarz4n said:
Can it be used as a centerspeaker in my 5.1 setup ?

I can only say for the GA3 and GD1 models that you can use the speaker as a centre channel. I'm guessing because there is very little difference between the GA3 and GA4 that the GA4 will do it also.

Can anyone confirm that ?

Richie.

Re finding Sharp GA3/4's - do a search on Kelkoo or Pricerunner - you can still find them - I just bought one yesterday, being delivered tomorrow :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

lymond said:
Re finding Sharp GA3/4's - do a search on Kelkoo or Pricerunner - you can still find them - I just bought one yesterday, being delivered tomorrow :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Should have said the 32" GA3 and GA4s are sold out.....unless you've been a very lucky person !

Richie.

No sorry:blush: I got the 26" - just right for our room. Can't wait - though not sure if I'm going to be able to get it running well - can you just link them up and watch it? Or do I have to spend the next month on the forums finding out the best settings for this, that and everything??! :laugh:

richjthorpe said:
Yes, using Powerstrip or other driver tools, a res of 1368x768 can be got apparently. You need to use 1368 because the Sharps native screen res is 1366 and is not divisible by 8 meaning the graphics card cannot output this res. This way you only lose 2 pixels at either side. The other way is to set it at 1360x768 meaning you get 2 thin black lines at either side.

Hello,

Hmm, wouldn't I be able to get the same fullscreen on the philips, using this powerstrip util ? They run the same res. i think..

lymond said:
No sorry:blush: I got the 26" - just right for our room. Can't wait - though not sure if I'm going to be able to get it running well - can you just link them up and watch it? Or do I have to spend the next month on the forums finding out the best settings for this, that and everything??! :laugh:

I haven't tried linking a PC up at the moment but there is a function called autosync on the Sharp that you could try first. There are Powerstrip settings out there on the board, it's a case of seraching for them or asking in a thread. The Home Computer board seem to be up on the Powerstrip stuff.

Richie.

tarz4n said:
Hello,

Hmm, wouldn't I be able to get the same fullscreen on the philips, using this powerstrip util ? They run the same res. i think..

IIRC, the Philips wouldn't display the full 768 even with Powerstrip. It kept going back to 720.

Can anyone confirm this ?

Richie.

richjthorpe said:
IIRC, the Philips wouldn't display the full 768 even with Powerstrip. It kept going back to 720.

Can anyone confirm this ?

Richie.
My 9976 does 1280x768 fine, but with bars on the sides. So this means it acually does 768 lines. I haven't succeeded in configuring 1366x768 or 1368x768 yet.

Another strange thing is that the display will not sync correctly to standard resolutions like 640x480 and 800x600. I tried with multiple inputs (DVI, VGA and als VGA from my laptop) and most of the time the bottom of the screen is cut off a bit, and also the right is often cut off. Sometimes there's also a black bar on the top.

The Philips plasma panels at my work always sync correcly to all resolutions so I wonder why they screwed up with these LCD TV's :thumbsdow

I hope there is a fix, or otherwise I'm afraid a firmware update is required.

(Excuse me for kicking this old topic that hard... I noticed after posting)

Have you tried moving the picture with the left-right, up-down buttons? Works on the 9986 at least.

Camillo said:
Have you tried moving the picture with the left-right, up-down buttons? Works on the 9986 at least.
Thanks for the reply; I accidently discovered this hidden feature myself too ;)

One problem left: even with standard resolutions like 640x480 and 800x600, the TV seems to lose sync every now and then. The picture disappears, the screen turns blue and the TV resyncs to the VGA signal in about a second.

It doesn't matter whether I use analoge VGA or DVI. Even though it doesn't occur very frequently it's a very annoying issue. Anybody else experiencing the same?

I hope this question hasn't been asked here before (I can't find it anyway):

Can the 9976 accept 720p and/or 1080i signal via component? I have a modified Xbox which can output 720p and 1080i through component, and a Denon 3910 dvd-player which can output 720p and 1080i through DVI or HDMI. Can the 9976 recieve these signals and display them without any problems?

I'm running my Mac Mini through my 32PF9976. Although it is possible to get the screen to display in full screen, it looks crap as the method does not give a 1:1 pixel ratio. However, the question is, why do you actually need to run it at full res? For viewing non-HD stuff it is a lot easier and better looking, to switch the mac to a compatible resolution, for example 800x600. The attached shows an example of this on my display. If anyone requires more details I'll be happy to help out.

Attachments

• mini-CIMG0236.JPG
    mini-CIMG0236.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 415
Horrabin said:
I hope this question hasn't been asked here before (I can't find it anyway):

Can the 9976 accept 720p and/or 1080i signal via component? I have a modified Xbox which can output 720p and 1080i through component, and a Denon 3910 dvd-player which can output 720p and 1080i through DVI or HDMI. Can the 9976 recieve these signals and display them without any problems?

ive got this telly, with a modded xbox, i currently use it in hdtv and the quality is amazing, it will handle all formats, ive tried, 1080i, 720p 480p, all work fine, :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom