1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32pf9976 or 32pf9986??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by robbiedobbie, Apr 28, 2005.

1. robbiedobbie

robbiedobbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simple question but I'm not finding it easy to answer.

I would really appreciate other people's opinions. Is the 32PF9976 a good enough telly or is the 32pf9986 really worth the extra money? I haven't been able to find them in a shop side by side.

Any help would be appreciated! :lease:

2. JuliaB

JuliaB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where do you live Robbie?
    I found them side by side In John Lewis Kingston, Surrey last Sunday.
    I didn't go for either in the end (long story - see my thread) but I think they are both excellent and recommend you see them in person to make up your mind as the looks are totally different and you have to view the pixcel (Plus)2 and ambiview on the 9986.
    :devil:
    Julia

3. robbiedobbie

robbiedobbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Closest JL to me is Solihull and they have neither on display. Comet have the 86 but not the 76. It's a shame. I've heard pixel plus 1 is good having read some of the reviews on homecinemachoice. But then if you read some of their reviews of pixel plus 2 they talk about how it has solved the shortfalls of pixel plus 1. I'm maybe getting too bogged down with detail!
    Just wondered if pixel plus 2 is worth the extra few hundred quid.

Cheers for your quick reply though! :clap:

4. Amoanster

Amoanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Do a search on this site there is plenty of info about them both. I opted for the 9976 and havent looked back. Personally i dont think the 9986 is worth the extra money, the ambilight seems to be a bit of a gimmick to me and the only real benefit, i feel, is PP2 but does PP2 justify the price hike? But this is a personal preference and yours may differ. I also think the 9976 looks better aswell, but again, this is also a personal preference. Hope this helps. :)

Aaron

5. robbiedobbie

robbiedobbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aaron

Yeh, that's brilliant! Cheers. I'm edging towards the 76 anyway. I've just bought a new house in Coventry and money isn't exactly there in large amounts! :)

6. robbiedobbie

robbiedobbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been told by sony centre in leamington spa that HD boxes will have component outputs and you don't necessarily need DVI-I or HDMI and that you will be able to see HDCP stuff through the normal component as well??

Do you reckon that is right? If so may change my mind to getting a sony M1 of some sort

7. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Well, let's think about this, erm, they would say that really wouldn't they, considering the inputs on the current sony range - with HTPC growing and HD gonna be available relatively cheaply via one I'd be looking at something with DVI too....

8. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Firstly, the folks in the Sony shop are right in that Sony STB's will have component output that will supply HDTV to component only TV's. However it is not yet clear how long this service will run for and how limited the number of channels will be. It certainly won't be the full service, as far as I understand.

9986 v 9976. These two TV's are very closely related. The only significant differences are:

1) The 9976 only has one terrestrial tuner.
    2) It has PP1 not PP2.
    3) No Ambilight.
    4) Poorer sound reproduction.
    5) Speakers under screen making it considerably neater.
    6) It's £750 cheaper!

You have to weigh the pros and cons yourself, but let me say this. The Ambilight is no gimmick. It serves two purposes. In a dark room it has the dual benefit of reducing eye strain and increasing apparent black levels. It is also extremely cool! The effects add an amazing extra dimension to all TV viewing and most folks who have experienced it, think it is superb!

Jimmy

9. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    AFAIK component inputs do not support HDCP, so any content that is encoded with HDCP wont be veiwable. (Sky might well show "some" HD content that isnt HDCP encoded, and so would be watchable, but they might not. Nothing is finalised yet.)

Back to the original question, 9976 imho. Basically the same telly as the 9986, and the £500 extra you pay for the 9986 doesnt get you alot. An extra tuner, PP2 (different firmware probably) and some lights. If thats worth £500 to you, and you like the styling then go for the 9986.

Sharp, Philips, Sony and Panasonic (amongst others) are releasing new TVs soon, so it might be worthwhile waiting. Hitachi have just released theit new 32LD7200 aswell, which looks promising. (Theres a few threads on here about it with reviews from ppl who have just got one)

10. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Actually, HDCP is only for digital connections. There will be no encoding for the analog connections (like components). The idea is to prevent the pirates to directly record the high-quality digital HD programs. On the analog side, there is no encoding as by recording the analog outputs, pirates will get a less than perfect quality. Consider this: the pirate will need to convert the analog output to digital, to record it on some digital media (like DVD-R) and distribute it. Then when playing it back, again convert it to from digital to analog which means he'll get a lot lower quality than original digital one.

11. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course this is the "official" reason, but in reality a capture and recording of the HDCP stream would be pretty useless.
    The recorded data would not be a direct recording of the high-quality stream, but the decoded MPEG data. The bitrate would be too high to record, and to record it it would have to be re-compressed into MPEG.
    That operation would be similar in quality loss to a recording of RGB or Component video.

Also, the analog video of course is not encoded, but it will be protected against recording using Macrovision. This will not put off a determined pirate, but probably so won't HDCP.
    These techniques are just a nuisance to the general public. The entertainment industry likes to irritate its customers, and then tell them it is for their own good or because of their own behaviour.

12. robbiedobbie

robbiedobbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys - I'm liking the sound of the Hitachi 32LD7200. Not too expensive and got all the connectivity I need