Philips 32pf9976 optimal settings

Z

Zebedeeuk

Hi,

My new 32pf9976 came today, but I see looking through the forum that not many people seem to have one, with most going for the 32pf9986 (just couldnt stretch the budget that far) anyway, I was just wandering if anyone knew what optimal settings I should be using, as although I am very much impressed, I just have that nagging feeling it could be better :)

Thanks for any help.

:smashin:
Zebedee

The 9976 is VERY similar to the 9986. Most of the settings that apply to the 9986 will apply to you too!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182709

This lot was for a guy who liked football, but the settings given here are pretty much universal. There will be one or two settings that won't appear on your set, but you'll get the general idea.

I am very fond of the 9976 and have encouraged people to check it out. Nice looking TV!

Jimmy

Cheers. Will take a look.

Yes I have been browsing these forums for a while now and some of your opinions helped sway me to choose it ahead of the 32" Tosh ;)

Just thought that i would post a thank you to jimsan. Those settings have made a marked improvement. So many thanks :smashin:

Couple of questions for you ZebedeeUK.

When you got the TV did it come with a table stand and a wall mount?
Do you have any buzzing noises eminating from the top of the set?

Glad you're enjoying it...

Jimmy

After 2 faulty Samsung 32" LCDS, I have now purchased a Philips 9976. Definite superior picture, and as as earlier post have adjusted the pic settings. But, awful sound, with distortion, so much that I have 2 choices - either via a spare amp I could connect another set of speakers,which will cure the problem, albeit with more wires etc,and this was meant to be a standalone unit - I've already got a Pioneer 434hde + 6.1 surround in another room, so I don't need more gough, or it'll have to go back! Any ideas? The Rugby tonight was near unlisteneable! (It is being fed via a digisender in sort some of defence, but video quality is still v. good and I suspect the speakers are simply not up to it).
Tks / Robert

Strange one this. Before you bung it back can you try a few experiments? Is there any way you can hook it directly to your Digibox and check that first, just to rule out the video sender? Has it not even got an RF feed to it to try it that way.

I've not heard any complaints from other 9976 users. Have you had a fiddle with the Sound settings? Make sure all sound effects are off, including the Loudness.

If none of this works, you could try a very basic computer sound system. My computer has two front stereo speakers and a 6in square Sub. The sound is quite acceptable and the whole lot cost very little (£20?) Something slight;y more advanced than this would probably be better!

This shouldn't be necessary, however, if the sound isn't right, you should get a replacement.

Jimmy

Hi - the experts seem to be here - good !

I have the 32 inch Philips 9976.......

It is linked up to sky plus via scart. Bear in mind my terrestrial signal is hopeless so I cant compare signals.

1/ When I watch anything on the TV there is a small "mirage like" outline to a lot of objects. Just an irritation. (I suspect this may be the Sky box but I cant compare with terrestrial due to the poor signal)

2/The picture always seems dark wqhen a program is showing a program inside a building - despite Contrast being on 100 and Brightness about 50 - if I turn the brightnmess up any further it is too white.
(probably just a matter of fiddling - I hope).

What in laymans terms are "Dynamic contrast" and DNR ??

Many Thanks

I am no technophobe so any help would be appreciated.

Redhand

jimsan said:
Couple of questions for you ZebedeeUK.

When you got the TV did it come with a table stand and a wall mount?
Do you have any buzzing noises eminating from the top of the set?

Glad you're enjoying it...

Jimmy

A month late with my reply :oops: but anyway.....yes, it came with a glass table stand thingy ma jig and also came with a wall mount, and no noticeable buzzing sounds to report.

I've been exploring the settings on my 9976 for a while now. I too was getting the blockiness and pixellation, and, to be honest, was a little disappointed with the picture quality through my Sky+ box. DVD's were great though.

I've looked at the 9986 settings thread, and they did make the picture look better, but the digital 'noise' was still very evident, especially around peoples mouths when they were talking...v annoying!

However, I have the following settings now, and it they have transformed the PQ on the set, and I'm VERY happy with the screen now...

Picture Menu...

Smart Picture - Personal
Contrast - 63
Brightness - 56
Colour - 65
Sharpness - 2
Tint - Normal
Digital Options - Pixel Plus (controversial, I know, but it works for me)
Dynamic contrast - Off
DNR - Off
Colour enhancement - Off

Give them a try, and see what you think. Remember this is for a SCART RGB signal from a Sky+ (version 1) box.

I guess it is down to personal preference at the end of the day though :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom