Philips 32PF9976 as a PC monitor

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by leo9, Nov 5, 2004.

Tags:
  1. leo9

leo9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

New to this forum and need a good 30" or 32" LCD TV to connect TV, Sky, DVD recorder, laptop and VCR.

Has anyone used the Philips 32PF9976 as a monitor? Does the widescreen distort the non-widescreen PC output and can you read the text at about 12 feet viewing distance? My 15" laptop runs a res of 1024 x 768 at 60 Hz so hope I won't get same issues that other forum members had with 32PF9986 at a higher res. Also like the 30PF9946 (much cheaper and has progressive scan) but not enough inputs.

Any help welcome as need to decide fast!

2. jackylad

jackylad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had one to test which pc resolutions worked. 1024 x 768 looked great font were as crisp as my dell 21" pc monitor. 1280x 720 was also crystal clear only boxed in the middle not full screen.

1024 x 768 is full screen top to bottom but obviously it has black bars either side.

3. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't tried a PC hooked up - but it sounds like jackylad's experience pretty much matches what it says in the manual for the TV:
    "use XGA 1024x768 @ 60Hz video mode for best image quality"

4. leo9

leo9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for info. BUT - made the mistake of wandering into John Lewis over the weekend and saw the 32PF9986 in the flesh - amazing picture quality. My original choice (32PF9976) not in most of the high street stores yet as far as I know so can't compare them except from specs and forum opinions. Think I prefer 32PF9986 now as it has Pixel Plus 2 and there must be other reasons for the £500+ price difference. Back to the drawing board I guess...

Jackylad - did you end up buying the 32PF9976 you tested? What is Sky / DVD picture quality like? Just want to know how it compares with 32PF9986 in TV mode.