1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PF9976 - 32 Inch LCD- Bargain?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by k4mmy, Aug 24, 2005.

1. k4mmy

k4mmy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am thinking about taking the plunge and purchasing a LCD/Plasma panel. I have been offered a Philips 32PF9976 for £900. I have been trawling thru the AV Forums but I really cant make my mind up!! :rolleyes:

I would really appreciate some advice :lease: regarding whether I should save my cash and wait for the new panels from Philips, Hitachi etc. or is this pricepoint too good to miss?

Thanks in advance.

Kam :)

2. stormer

stormer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just noticed your question. Hope this is useful (note I own a 32pf9976):

The caveats of a Philips:

1. Contrast ratio of 600:1 may annoy you when watching dark scenes unless you have a small 60W table light just in front and to the side of the screen. It reduces the fluffy effect quite well and is even better than Philips solution of the ambilight - hahahahah! Aim for a contrast of no less than 1500:1 if you can - plasma wins on this easily but plasma is cak on so many fronts.

2. The response time is 12ms - this is kind of okay but is not as good as what is to come with OLED technology (0.01ms response time.....!!!). The sample and hold cctry is not fast enough so smeary movement occurs which is seemingly lessened when I switch to the blurrier Progressive Scan (PS is more natural on films also)

3. PCs only display correctly at 800x600 or 1024x768 - this ANNOYS me since you think you're getting a 1366x768 native mode dvi pc display. Er....nope!

Other than all that........I love it!!

Hope this is useful - you will like it and life is too short to save money. :cool:

3. stormer

stormer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or was it 800:1 ?? - still fluffy!

4. k4mmy

k4mmy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the reply Stormer. :thumbsup:

In the end I took the plunge and i must admit the set is pleasing to the eye and hence gets the approval of the missus!

I have also been impressed with the picture quality from SD feeds, having bought the TV based on the reviews of Pixel Plus and Pixel Plus 2 on the 32pf9986.

I must admit the quality of PAL DVDs is stunning and everything looks so clear and vibrant and i haven't noticed any smearing with my 8ms panel either; yet!

I have also connected the TV to my 6600GT graphics card via DVI and the picture quality is great and having downloaded some HD trailers from the windows media player website I must admit the quality is breathtaking :clap:

Only downside to this is that it doesn't scale to the panel size :( but you do get 1:1 pixel mapping though.

All in All I am happy with the TV, although I am a little disappointed with the variation in quality of SD signals via cable. But this TV is a lot better than most LCDs with a SD signal so I cant complain really.

How have you got yours configured Stormer? And what connections are you using?

Cheers

Kam