1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PF9830 - Worth the Wait?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Svale, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Svale

Svale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I intend to purchase a 32" LCD and happen to chance upon this wonderful and informative forum when surfing the net for information.

After doing some research and onsite comparison, I have decided on the Philips 32PF9966, which suits my budget and needs (comes with HDMI for my Marantz DV9500 and Active Control to reduce onscreen reflection problem).

However, with the 32PF9830 expected to be launched in late July (at least in the UK), I am wondering whether I should wait for the new model.

There have been numerous discussions on the 32PF9830, however, there does not seems to be any conclusion on whether the new model will be significantly improved compared to the current model (e.g., whether the ambilight 2 will perform much better compare to the current version),

In addition, given the current 32PF9966 could be bought at a very reasonable price of about £1200 (in Singapore), would it be worthwhile to wait for the 32PF9830, which is expected to cost more, at least for the first six month when it is newly launched?

Also not sure if anybody has information on whether the manufacturing of the new model will be done in China, where the QC problem is expected to be much more severe (no flame please, just my personal experience) compared to the current model which is manufactured in Belgium (where already there has been some complains).

Any view or advise on the above would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!

2. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To conclude for certain that a yet to be released model is any better than the model it's going to replace is naive at best. The reason why you have not found any conclusions regarding the quality of the 9830 compared to the 9986 is because no one (or at least very few of us) have been lucky enough to actually seen the new screen in action, as this model is not yet released! :lesson:

However, if all the hype about the new scanning backlight and other improvements are to be believed, the 9830 will be something very special. I remember reading somewhere that someone on this forum has actually seen one of these screens being demo'ed at a show, and was very impressed.

I know I'm one of those waiting for the 9830. :)

Ben

3. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There you go.

Obviously, these are his own opinions, but personally, I'm going to wait and see both the screens when they are out, and judge for myself then if the difference is worth the extra £££s.

Ben

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Bit of confusion here I think.

You refer tp the 32PF9966 not the 9986. I assume this isn't a typo error and that the model you are cosidering is not the 9986. You refer to the 9966 as being equipped with HDMI. The 9986 doesn't have this.

Also, the new 9830 is going to hit the market at the same price as the 9986 and will quite quickly undercut it. You refer to the price of the 9966 as being £1200! We could only dream of prices like this. (If the 9966 is your version of our 9986).

Certainly the 9830 will have HDMI here in Europe and is promised to have a significant improvement in PQ over the 9986.(!)

Jimmy

5. hemal

hemal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldnt wait 4 the new 9830 so ordered the 9986 today, comin tommorow, £1791. glad to hear main diffs are going to ambilight n connectivity, and for that i'm glad i got the 9986 prob 6-700 £ cheaper. I doubt the picture is going to be vastly better :thumbsup:

6. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, and the USB port, WI FI, and 'Clear Screen' technology... and a scanning backlight.. upon many other differences..

Ben

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The 9830 is already available, to order, for £1995. The 9986 will serve you well, and that is a good price..

Jimmy

8. hemal

hemal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the vote of confidence jimmy, glad to hear. however couldnt find any details at all for 9830. Ben y even consider the 9986 then u should not wait to see the diifs then if there are so "many other differences" the wi fi i would have liked.

9. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What defines a good screen goes way beyond just the features and specs. As I've mentioned above, it is at best naive to assume a new model is automatically better than the model that's being replaced.

I was merely pointing out that the differences between the functions of the 2 screens were more than just ambilight and connectivity.

Whether the new screen will improve on picture quality is yet to be seen, but even if there is the slightest truth in what Philips are singing and dancing about, the 9830 is going to be something special indeed. :thumbsup:

This is pure speculation of course.

Ben

10. Svale

Svale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the comments.

I am sure the new model will be equipped with better technical enhancements. But can anyone advise whether there are any major flaw with the current model that can compromise our viewing experience (such as the ability to handle scene with fast motion like soccer matches and the likelihood of having dead pixel)? In other words, is the current model good enough?

Jimmy: The local model is 32PF9966 (made in Belgium) and it comes with HDMI. Well, we may enjoy good prices for some of these electronic stuffs, but our prices for car and housing are among the highest in world (if not the highest)! So in life, you gain some and you lose some.

Ben: Agreed that it is probably wise to wait for new model to be launched then compare the difference. However, the wait could be endless as there will always be new model launching (not only from Philips, but also from Sony, Sharp, Toshiba ...). You will therefore have to commit at some point and hence my question of whether the new model is worth the wait ... well I guess that is a decision one has to make for himself.

Have a good weekend!

11. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Some details on 9830 here:
    http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/UAN/230/v/4/sp/

...and more here:
    http://www.dcsat.co.uk/products_tv_item.asp?product_id=174

The PQ will probably be a bit better with additional connectivity, processing and etc...

Jimmy