Philips 32PF9830 or Hitachi 32LD7200?

jim_is_ere

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have decided to take the plunge and buy a 32 inch LCD TV. My local store has A Philips 32PF9830 in stock for £1999. (Negotiating ;) ). It sounds great, but as there are no reviews yet, I am wondering if I would be taking a bit of a risk. I could take the safe option and go for the excellent reviewed Hitachi 32LD7200.
The Philips LCD TV just looks fantastic and am sure when I see it in the shop I will not be able to stop myself from throwing £2000 (Credit Card!)at the shop assistant
I know I could also wait a little longer and see what the reviews say, but worry I won't be able to find one in stock at a later date!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Jim

Jim,

Not sure I can advise you how to spend your money, as I'm still waiting to see a 9830 in the flesh! Do you mind me asking where you saw it? I'd love to see one demo'ed....

Seen both (and others), and the philips is not worth it's money...

I also think some other models have surpassed the hitachi... check my posts or any others for that matter

How come the Phillips doesn't have a Freeview tuner? I know it won't be used a great deal (because of Sky+/Sky HD) but I really begrudge buying a new tv with an analogue tuner these days :nono:

I have the 32 inch Phillips and it is a beauty. Great picture quality and sound. Just a shame that some Sky channels are over compressed as it shows up poor quality signal, roll on HD TV! Using the soft picture setting does tackle this somewhat.

Looking foward to seeing how it handles DVDs for my home cinema system, just need to get a good component video cable before I can make my judgement.

To me well worth the money.

Having recently found out that the Philips 9830 is a full 1080p set, i'd definately go for that one. The Hitachi is "only" a 720p.
So, if you can afford the philips, i think it's safer to get that one. If i could afford it, i know what i'd buy...

DanDT said:
Having recently found out that the Philips 9830 is a full 1080p set, i'd definately go for that one. The Hitachi is "only" a 720p.
So, if you can afford the philips, i think it's safer to get that one. If i could afford it, i know what i'd buy...

Only the 37 & 42 inch sets are 1080 pixels. The 32 is just 768.

MrAshworth,

Did you have a chance to compare the Philips with any other competitors, e.g. Sony or Panasonic?

In my opinion 32LD7200 is already a nearly flawless TV set. I doubt that 9830 can really add something worth the price difference.

alefsin said:
In my opinion 32LD7200 is already a nearly flawless TV set. I doubt that 9830 can really add something worth the price difference.

When you are only talking price difference (like daxie) you should not be looking at high-end stuff.
It is very clear that the value-for-money is less on a Philips 9986 or 9830 than on some other sets. A bit more value but a lot more money.

However, for some people money is not the only factor when deciding.
I really like my 9986, although I may have paid too much in your opinion.
When watching the beautiful picture (even from less than perfect sources), I am not constantly thinking "is this worth 500 euro more".
People that are driving BMW or Mercedes are not constantly thinking "is it worth the price difference with a Hyundai".
This is not to say that drivers of a Hyundai don't get from A to B and/or are not satisfied.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom