Philips 32PF9731d - Superb!!!

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by jollyjoe, Aug 25, 2006.

Tags:
  1. jollyjoe

jollyjoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OH MY GOD!!!!!

I received my unit today from Empire Direct - and its brilliant!!! Forget any bad things youve heard- really!! The picture quality, the blacks, the contrast, the colours, the AMBILIGHT!!! Honestly, this LCD id the best ive seen (within a reasonable price). Ive been looking for 2 years so i know something about LCDs.

Im running a bog standard input. Not even changed my aerial in an apprently bad area. The quality is unbelievable. Forget Sony's fancy ball advert - it looks better on my TV!!!
    Im just a normal punter who was lucky enough to get an early unit. if you were thinking of getting one - do it!!! A great set - truly.

Please ask any questions regarding this set - ive learnt a lot from this site and so am happy to help .

Cheers :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

2. nuku22

nuku22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    how much did u pay for the set?

3. BYF

BYF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    i saw a philips lcd in comet yesterday it was was a 6xxx model number not a 9731d, im not sure what model it was exactly but it was around £1500 and the picture quality was markedly better than any other LCD instore my mates plus the comet workers agreed. even with fast moving stuff there was no smearing, blurring, stutter anything. looked stunning

shame it was £1500 though

4. motile rod 2

motile rod 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Please, please, please could you connect it to a pc!:lease: :lease:

I'd love to get a philips tv but all the specs say that they only support 1024x768 PC res and not 1360x768. But then someone told me that the specs were wrong and you could (though it was through dvi on an older set).

I really want to know if I could get 1360x768 1:1 mapping on the latest philips tv's, they're just sooooo nice , but I need to use it with my pc too.:(

5. mTm

mTm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jollyjoe - may I ask at what distance you are watching your screen?
    thanks

6. jollyjoe

jollyjoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

The price was £1369 + £15 delivery....you can pickup if you like too.

7. jollyjoe

jollyjoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I will do this this weekend. But you seem to know more than me on this subject. How can i tell which resolution it is performing?? is it just to fill screen? Or do i control this from the laptop?

8. jollyjoe

jollyjoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Im such a geek!! A range from 3ft to about 12ft. at all angles. Fab!

9. spice2019

spice2019

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Whoa, that's seriously expensive. Especially for a Philips. I've had issues with Philips before, DVD player and old hi-fi. I guess I only trust Japanese these days.

10. jollyjoe

jollyjoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Youre loss. There's nothing to touch this set at that price. Sony are even flogging their flagging 32v2000 for £1399!! in a sony centre sale - today! THATS seriously expensive for 1 HDMI and ageing engine

11. jollyjoe

jollyjoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried it for you. My laptop only supports xga 1024x768 - the same as my 32" Philips - so thats cool. I think you need to look at the 37" for anything higher.

12. jifster

jifster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm now torn between this set and the Sony although i'm on a budget and you can get the Sony for under £1100 at JL with a 5 year guarentee and they are not even stocking the Philips yet. Also i'd have to wait for things to settle down and then read about all the bugs in the Philips (posibily) like the last sets they released that put me off. :rolleyes:

13. spice2019

spice2019

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    These two LCD's are in a different price range. The V2000 Sony can be picked up for £1000 the Philips is nearly £400 more. Considering the infamous Philips lack of reliability I would go with the cheaper option. Better PQ or not.

14. mTm

mTm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jollyjoe
    Thanks - I will be at a distance of 10' - pondering on the 37" - may I ask exactly which sources you are using?
    Cheers

15. Mackem

Mackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    No reliability problems with my Philips 37PF9631D, unlike the 2 Hitachi
    32LD7200's I had previously. Nor with my 6 year old 32 inch Philips CRT or my 17 year old Philips portable in the bedroom.

16. jollyjoe

jollyjoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

My source is an old aerial. Nothing more. Not even high gain. 32" is fine for 10ft, but I gues its what youre used to. My previous set was a 20 year old (yeap 20) 21" Philips crt, so this thing is massive!!:)

17. mTm

mTm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jollyjoe.

I am going to wait until I can physically view the 32" and or 37" before I depart with my hard earned cash :smashin:

I ventured into what was an old Miller Bros show room and it turned out to be an Empire Direct show room. I was quite impressed with their setup and prices - made Currys look like they have :suicide: !!

The ladies and chaps said they may well have both 9731 versions on view. :)

In the meantime I will simply have to live with my 15" CRT Panasonic TV (13years old!).

18. biglee

biglee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm so pleased to hear that you like your TV, I'm due to receive my 32PF9731 on Friday the 4th directly from A-novo (Philips authorised repairers, they're rubbish BTW) and i was really worried that the problems that seem to be effecting the 37" version would be replicated on the 32".

Please keep us all informed of your experiences with the TV and perhaps you could post some photo's of the TV in situ?

19. jollyjoe

jollyjoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found a couple of niggles. One is that there is no ethernet connection. It clearly shows this on all the paperwork - including the instruction manual! Another is that it doesn't support all USB devices. I have tried 3 so far. Firstly, my USB memory stick - all ok. But my Canon digital camera and Toshiba external drive dont seem to be recognised :mad:

Not sure how to remedy this.

20. biglee

biglee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've answered one of my questions. I had seen on the web conflicting stories on whether this set had an ethernet connection. So it seems that it doesn't, thats a real shame.

As for the USB connectivity you'll find that only memory sticks will be compatible. I have owned a few DVD players that have had USB ports and they only ever excepted memory sticks and nothing else.

How about some pictures?

21. MoFoHo

MoFoHo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No probs with my 37PF9631D either. I wouldn't hesitate recommending this set. Why is it we dont seem to hear much of the Phillips brand in a positive light on these forums? Is it because they are more expensive than the Japanese manufacturers you think? This set in particular has stunning picture quality in my opinion, yet I rarely see these sets being recommended?

22. BYF

BYF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    i agree the pictire on the phillips lcds with pixel plus 2 or 3 look stunning and better then anything on offer from sony/toshiba/panasonic/samsung etc.

the philips didn't win the EISA award for nothing.

also the picture moves so smoothly with no smear or blur it puts all the other jap makes to shame.

ive read quite a few indepedent online reviews that say the philips panels with pixel plus 2 and 3 are at the top of the tree for picture quality.

i think its just the fact that the best marketed and popular tv makers are sony, samsung, panasonic, toshiba etc. it doesn't mean they are the best TVs though.

23. BYF

BYF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    im interested in the 32PF9731D/10 with pixel plus 3.

i saw a similar spec philips screen with pixel plus 2 not 3 and it looked fantastic even great with fast moving stuff and looked the nearest to a CRT then any LCD ive ever seen when it came to black levels and motion.

would love to hear a review when you guys get one, i won't be buying until end of october.

24. Pentax

Pentax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody!

I'm new on this forum, so this means that I just started to think about spending some sily amount of money for a TV. :D

I kinda think Philips is the way to go and read about 9731 and 9830... but, since this would be my "mediacenter" - meaning for connecting on PC to play games, watch HD movies... and occasionaly switching over to see some news (to spoil my day), I wonder where are Philips full HD-res TVs (1080p). Sony came up with X2000 series, saw one in the store (46 inch) and started to think if someone would see me if I'd just carie it out of the store. The price tag was almost as big as the TV :suicide:

Any idea when to expect something like this from the Philips?

Thanks!

25. jollyjoe

jollyjoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Actually on this model you can specify what device is in what connection. So if i specify 'digital camera' in the USB slot, surely this should work ok.

26. biglee

biglee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, i would agree with that. Did you power on the camera? Other than that i'm not sure what's wrong? Have you tried the DiVX play back on the TV yet? I'm quite keen on this feature as a watch a lot of films that way. (all my own material you understand???? ;) )

27. mTm

mTm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just viewed the screen at a local retailer - non in stock "anywhere" :(

Will stick to the 32" version rather than 37".

Two questions:-

1. Anyone suggests were to get a resonable deal with a good warranty?

2. Please may I request an pq update? [ i.e what setting are you guys watching this set on - there are so many - all looking distinctive.

Thanks

28. biglee

biglee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that there is a shortage of this screen everywhere. Best thing to do is check with some of the major online stockist and see if they can get you one. That said i think that the TV is being mainstream released this week.

29. mTm

mTm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Managed to put a deposit on with prcdirect who had one in stock :)
    but I dont think I can collect until the weekend :(

Any recommendations on how much extended cover I should go for :confused:
    never owned a Philips :rolleyes:

Chap at PRC said dont bother buying HDMI upscaling DVD - on demonstration I saw no major difference to an RGB Scart although the HDMI looked a little darker.

Thanks

30. biglee

biglee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it was me i'd go for 3 years of extended warranty. Just to give you peace of mind.