• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PHILIPS 32PF9641D/10.. faulty and 1 week out of warrenty

majorstare

Established Member
My PHILIPS 32PF9641D/10 LCD TV is just one week out of warrenty and has developed a fault.

Basically, the screen occasionally goes black.
Sound can still be heard, it happens with the PS3 and VM box and can only be resolved by turning the the TV off/on.

Suppose Phillips wont be interested as its about 1 week out of its 12month warrenty?:(

Empwan

Prominent Member
Oh they'll be interested....

About £150 for collection and delivery to Manchester (Philips Repair Centre)
+
£150-£900 for parts and labour, depending on problem.

ajbaker

Established Member
Where did you buy it?

My initial approach would be to contact the company you purchased it from. Despite giving a limited warranty, The Sale of Goods Act 1979 states you can expect an electronic product to last for a reasonable length of time. Obviously this 'reasonable' period of time is subjective, but it is easy to argue a TV costing, let's say, £800 with a 1 year warrantee is expected to last much longer than one year and one week.

In addition, the act states your contract is with the retailer not the manufacturer; this does not only apply to the initial warranty.

As an example I purchased a Freeview box 2-3 years ago for approx £100. It stopped working after 14 months. House of Fraser initially dismissed the problem, but after one polite but frank letter they agreed to replace the item.

For a TV costing much more I can imagine more of a fight will be necessary. Fight however you should.

Do let us know how you get on, and please post back if you need more advice.

Stupotwhatnot

Standard Member
Just been flicking thro the Phillips site and I think I saw a "fix" for this on one of the firmware upgrades, worth updating to the latest version?

majorstare

Established Member
UPDATE

Sent a letter to Phillips and had my reply today, exactly a week since mailing my letter.

They are going to repair it FOC :smashin::smashin::smashin:

Well done Philips and thankyou.:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom